€999 to spend on an all-round condenser microphone . . . .

siog

I know, I know, don't shout at me! Every mic is different, a mic is only as good as the person using and the pre-amps . . . but . . .

I have 999 euro to spend on a good, all-round vocal condenser microphone for my small studio. I record mainly folk, standards and country singers. I have narrowed my search down to four:

AKG C414 XLS
Audio-Technica AT-4047 SV
Mojave Audio MA-201 fet
Neumann TLM 102 ni

Please just tell me your favourites if you have experience with any of them and why - thanks!

I know, I know, don't shout at me! Every mic is different, a mic is only as good as the person using and the pre-amps . . . but . . .

I have 999 euro to spend on a good, all-round vocal condenser microphone for my small studio. I record mainly folk, standards and country singers. I have narrowed my search down to four:

AKG C414 XLS
Mojave Audio MA-201 fet
Neumann TLM 102 ni

Please just tell me your favourites if you have experience with any of them and why - thanks!

This may constitute mic apostasy but IMO throwing money at a mic simply because it has a hefty price tag isn't the best indicator of great sound.

Yeah, from what I have learned, spending that much or more on treating your room, will get better results than any mic purchase would. Just sayin....

If it was me (and it has been), instead of trying to buy a thousand Euro mic for everything, I'd buy a couple of different 500 Euro mics to give me options--or maybe even a 500 Euro LDC, a pair of SDC and a basic dynamic.

I'd rather have a choice of mics depending on what/who I'm recording rather than a one size has to fit all solution--and, horrible as the thought is, the difference between a modern $500 mic and a $1000 mic can be pretty subtle. When you get up to decent gear, big differences in price make for small differences in quality.

AKG C414 XLS
Mojave Audio MA-201 fet
Neumann TLM 102 ni

I would certainly add the Gefell M930 (and/or M930Ts) to your listen list.

Thanks very much for your good advice guys. Put me thinking.

I already have a Rode NT1-A and a Behringer B1. Though quite cheap, the latter is a good all-rounder but I have problems with the Rode - doesn't seem to have the volume of the Behringer.

I am surprised about the low gain you are experiencing with your RODE NT-1A????
What interface are you using?
Bob G.

Back