€5,000 to improve Native HD setup

Splodge

Hi Guys,

I am using PT thunderbolt hd on my imac with omni with one sm58 mic in my bedroom.

I mainly record one track at a time.. either vocal, bass, acoustic/e guitar, midi.

I am planning on improving this setup with better mic/mic pre maybe some acoustic treatment.

I have considered many ways of doing this (including being tempted by the U87) and I am now confused.

I feel like there are lots of things I could do to improve the quality of my recording but there are so many options...

My budget is no more than €5,000.

Maybe you guys can help me out with the decision making so I can get to the next level in sound!!

Thanks for any help/constructive criticism.

EDIT: in eu so using thomann

I am planning on improving this setup with better mic/mic pre maybe some acoustic treatment.

Hi,
Acoustic treatment is very important! Have a read up in the studio building forum. :)

Whoa, going from a 58 to a u87 is a hell of a leap. Do you have any experience with in between gear?

Can we hear some recordings, please? What do you feel is lacking?

Last edited:
Dont worry I am not spending $3,000 on a mic, I dont have much experience in between but I was looking at the NT1 or RB7 maybe both?
I need a decent set of monitors, theres not a hell of a lot I can do for acoustic in here so just thinking of getting a bundle and seeing what wher ei can stick the stuff.

Sorry not much in the way of recordings, still setting up.. want to get it all up and running before i get something down.

You would be surprised what you can do. It is not sexy or cool, but read up on acoustic treatments, there are more options than you realize. Simple things like bass traps, some wall treatments, once you have that, then your monitors will really serve you well.

Before you buy any acoustic kits, do yourself a favor and read up. Your money will go much further and better spent researching and knowing what works and what doesn't.

+1 ^^^ What they said. Acoustic treatment FIRST. Read. Don't buy one of those acoustic foam packages. Bass traps are easy to build/buy, easy to move around when you do. IF you dont have good studio monitors, put those on your shopping list AFTER you do the acoustic treatment (good monitors in an untreated room won't do you much good). Same thing with better mics - unless your room has some treatment, you're just going to pick up the lousy room acoustics more.

Dont worry I am not spending $3,000 on a mic, I dont have much experience in between but I was looking at the NT1 or RB7 maybe both?
I need a decent set of monitors, theres not a hell of a lot I can do for acoustic in here so just thinking of getting a bundle and seeing what wher ei can stick the stuff.

Sorry not much in the way of recordings, still setting up.. want to get it all up and running before i get something down.

Hey, I understand where you're coming from.
I preach about room treatment but I don't have any either. At least, nothing permanent.
We work with the spaces we have, right?

I did make some 4'x2'x4" rock wool panels, and two 2'x2'x4" also.
I store them under a bed/in the attic and pull them out for recording. They make a huge difference to a bad room so maybe that's something to look at? The larger ones are hinged in pairs and stand free on the floor.
I'm sure I (or you) could find a DIY guide on here somewhere.

Without hearing a recording it's hard to know what else to recommend.
What exactly about the quality do you want to improve? Are your recordings dull, echoey, noisy? What's happening?

NT1(a) isn't a bad mic at all. I find it very bright. If that doesn't appeal to you investigate the oktava mk219. It's pretty natural.

Still, I'd establish what's wrong first.

Back