Windows 10

Armistice

Son of Yoda
Anyone updated an 8.1 PC (laptop, no touch screen) to Win 10?

I downloaded the upgrade and baulked at the last minute after reading some horror stories online, but I hate Win 8 with a passion.

This is my general everyday PC by the way and is in no way associated with recording music - my recording PC is Win 7 and staying there ... ;)

I updated my gaming desktop from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. Coming from 8.1, I highly recommend it. It improves on Win8 in every way. Win8 was a dumpster fire...too much ambition and not enough follow-through on the features. Win10 reels it in a bit, but its definitely still in the same vein. The Start menu is better for sure (kind of a hybrid between Win7 and Win8 start menus). I had to update some device drivers to 10-compatible versions to get a couple of things to work after the upgrade (sound card, video card, etc) but overall it was a smooth transition. Then there will be some features that you'll probably want to disable and/or reconfigure, but there are tons of setup guides online that'll show you how to get rid of the more objectionable new features.

Win7 was solid, I can see why people want to stay with it. It's familiar, and it just works. I ended up upgrading my Win7 Home studio machine to 10 Pro, and it's been a smooth transition as well. But it was definitely a leap of faith at the time.

I say go for it, but that's mainly because I like Windows 10 and my upgrades were pretty painless.

The update utility that's used to "reserve" your free copy of Windows 10 should have a tab or link for checking out your PC to see how compatible it is, as well as your installed software. If there are no major reported incompatibilities, then I agree-- go ahead and go for it. If you're worried about it, just make sure you create a backup of your system and your software first, so you can restore everything if you need or want to. I've updated three Windows 8.1 computers-- my desktop, my laptop, and my Windows tablet-- and all three updates went smoothly.

My Uncle recently did the auto upgrade on his machine and it cocked everything up. From a nice fast machine to taking 5+ minutes to open up a basic program, browser, anything.
Now I have the pleasure of wiping the thing clean and doing a fresh install of everything. :cursing:

I wouldn't ever do an auto update of an OS. Security updates and things, yes but an OS? Seriously? Stuff that! Asking for trouble IMO.

Been running 10 on my studio machine since it was introduced. Much faster than 8.1 and just as stable as 7.....zero problems.

I've done three, two from 7 to 10 (older PCs) and 1 from 8 to 10 (laptop low end and my mobile tracking machine). I had one issue with a graphics card creating issues, switched it out, no problem. Laptop, not one issue, interface works and Reaper works great. The machine I am on now. No issues.

I have one which is my main music computer, it had a problem with the old graphics card (no driver for 10m but it was a really old card), replaced the card but Win10 update will not re-run compatibility report so that computer hasn't been upgraded.

I like 10 much better than 8, it get's me close to a Win7 feel, but it is slightly different. But not so much it isn't easy to figure out. IMO.

Now I have the pleasure of wiping the thing clean and doing a fresh install of everything. :cursing:

That's why I plan to image my Win7 C: before doing the update. Which I don't know when I'm going to... I seem to be putting it off for perpetuity.

Agree with most others. Definite improvement over Win8. If you were running 7 I might give you a different answer, but I'd defintely update from the horror called Windows 8. :eek:

I did mine with no problems at all.

If you liked 7, you won't mind the upgrade to 10. It's essentially the same exact thing. In fact, I actually like 10 a bit more than 7 because of the little search bar they stick right beside the start menu. But yeah, go ahead and upgrade. Pretty much the only reason I upgraded was so that I will still be eligible for a free version of Windows 11 or whatever comes out next :) Windows 7 is the oldest OS they are still actively updating and supporting, so it's next on the chopping block in a couple of years.

Heard Win 10 needs an account for everything,just like ios. I mean it's highly restricted, and we have to compromise a lot of personal info. Still waiting to verify that.

I upgraded from 7 about a week ago to 10 and didn't see much of a difference other then the Start menu being less customizable and general look of the windows themselves to be a bit more boring looking than 7's. But, I didn't have to replace any hardware and only had to re-run a couple of my third party windows tweak programs to get all the short cuts and right click menus to behave as I like them too.

On the negative side, there was a ton of apps I had to hunt down and turn off as all of them were personal info tracker crap including a key logger ffs. Also found that where 7 would run like a champ on 38 processes and a gig of memory on this 8 gig box, 10 refused to use no less then 60 running processes and twice the ram at idle. Anyway, as there was a 30 day opportunity to go back to 7 without killing the key, so I went back to 7 as its rock solid and uses less resources. But I still might go back to 10. Not sure yet as the offer here at least in Canada is good until next August and I have a bootable DVD of the OS so no need to re-download the +3Gig .iso file.

If 10 would have had some extra goodies in it that interested me, I might have just stuck with it but as others have said, its so close to 7 that there's precious little reason to make the switch.

Cheers! :)

Back