Why do we ( some of us anyway ) pay to see a fight that will be aired for free a week

Who cares how much they make? I never get why people cry about the money athletes make. It's not tax payer's money. That money is being generated by sales and interest in the event, whether it's a boxing match, hockey game, football, etc....If that money is being generated, the athletes should get most of it. Nobody's buying a ticket to see an owner own a team. They ripped off players for years and years while filling their pockets with the money generated by the players. Now, I'm glad the players get it. They are the "product". Look at college sports. Athletes are not allowed to take a penny from anyone, but the colleges are basically funded by their sports programs. Give the money to the athletes, it's theirs.

Funny, I never hear people complaining that Tom Cruise or some other actor got $20 million for a movie, and the same people that have no problem paying to see the latest stupid-ass Hollywood movie are the same people whining about the money athletes make. It makes no sense.
Dude I totally agree with you, I was just curious. They are getting compensated for their entertainment, same as any other athlete, movie star, musician, etc. and I have no issues with any of that at all.

Dude I totally agree with you, I was just curious. They are getting compensated for their entertainment, same as any other athlete, movie star, musician, etc. and I have no issues with any of that at all.
I wasn't directing my post at you or any one person in particular. I don't even know what you posted. Mine was just a general statement because I often hear people getting so emotional about how much money athletes make, as if it's actually coming out of their tax dollars, and I find it hilarious.

I wasn't directing my post at you or any one person in particular. I don't even know what you posted. Mine was just a general statement because I often hear people getting so emotional about how much money athletes make, as if it's actually coming out of their tax dollars, and I find it hilarious.

It's just one of those things where people watch something because there is so much money involved so they invest money so there is more money involved but if you stepped back for a moment you'd realize how incredibly boring the actual event is.
Now the question is which retard paid the first dollar!

It's just one of those things where people watch something because there is so much money involved so they invest money so there is more money involved but if you stepped back for a moment you'd realize how incredibly boring the actual event is.
Now the question is which retard paid the first dollar!

There has to be a way to reward excellence, if we don't then the incentive to excel remains purely Corinthian. The fact that the elite sometimes fail to deliver is not a reason to criticise the market that drives the event or discipline. The way to do that is to collectively withdraw our dollar/pound.... That is unlikely to happen as collectively we admire excellence and encourage it's pursuit.

There has to be a way to reward excellence, if we don't then the incentive to excel remains purely Corinthian. The fact that the elite sometimes fail to deliver is not a reason to criticise the market that drives the event or discipline. The way to do that is to collectively withdraw our dollar/pound.... That is unlikely to happen as collectively we admire excellence and encourage it's pursuit.

I'm not criticising the market.
I'm criticising the players. Some sports fail to deliver by default.

All I know about this boxing fight are the $$$. The sport itself pales in comparison to the money surrounding it and has almost become the least interesting part of the event.

That is, of course, subjective though.

Not into boxing myself but have a lot of mates who are. A lot paid to watch it via one avenue or the other. I didn't but if it had been West Ham vs Man Utd in the FA cup final I would pay whatever was asked. Remember that sport builds exceptionally strong allegiances and the market exploits them. You can chose to pay or not to pay, the market sets the price it believes it can achieve. I know this well from my own business and have to set mark ups accordingly. As far as criticizing players, They stand or fall by the performance they put in, so do I.... Who else can claim that their wage depends on that? I can but I am in a minority here.....

Actually, as much as I don't care for golf at all, one thing about those guys is that if they don't win, they don't get paid. Not quite that simple, but pretty much. A team sport athlete can have an off-game or even an off season and he still gets paid what his contract says. A golfer has to win tournaments. Of course they also make money on endorsements, but if you don't win, nobody will want you to endorse their product.

There has to be a way to reward excellence, if we don't then the incentive to excel remains purely Corinthian.

OK Mutt... I'm old, live under and American rock n all but I have never heard the word Corinthian used in such a manner...esplain wadaya means using the word as such?

I know it as a style of Greek architecture / column toppers and as a brand name for Leather n stuff but never heard used in the way you just used it.

5130020624_d022526918_o.jpg

Who cares how much they make? I never get why people cry about the money athletes make. It's not tax payer's money. That money is being generated by sales and interest in the event, whether it's a boxing match, hockey game, football, etc....If that money is being generated, the athletes should get most of it. Nobody's buying a ticket to see an owner own a team.
Both categories are getting a ridiculous check for that they do but whatever they get paid are they getting most of the revenue?

Don't forget, someone else sets up and funds the whole environment that they're a participant in. Advertising/promotion, costs and considerations of broadcasting, insurance, legal, etc. etc.

OK Mutt... I'm old, live under and American rock n all but I have never heard the word Corinthian used in such a manner...esplain wadaya means using the word as such?

I know it as a style of Greek architecture / column toppers and as a brand name for Leather n stuff but never heard used in the way you just used it.

It's prolly a uniquely English term but it's drawn from the early days of amateur sport where participation was the be all and end of it and sportsmanship ruled. Back when the Brits were inventing and exporting all manner of games at the height of the empire there were many clubs that went under the name "Corinthians" and in typical Victorian manner took it upon themselves to instill and ethic of honour and fair play as well as non professional... The term Corinthian has now come to refer to clubs and sports that identify with that ethos.

Google up Corinthian spirit and it will fill in the gaps.

Back