What's that song/band that got you into playing your instrument of choice?

I remember it exactly.
I was about 13, first heard Never mind by Nirvana and suddenly loved music. There was an old Spanish guitar in the house that no one could play but it had a book of chords with it. Very slow progress at first but I started buying tab books for my favourite albums bought a shit electric about a year later. Then I taught two of my mates to play so we could form a band.

Big epiphany when I was about 16 and got the tab book for Metallica Black Album. Couldn't believe that if I just practiced them and tried them I could play Kirk Hammett solos! Finally got my first decent guitar,when I was nearly 18. Ibanez RG 570. I went halves on it with my mum for 18th birthday

Even though I used to love atmospheric electronica, Oxygene was too boring even for me.

Last edited:
But I guess the one who really got me wanting to play electric for real was Hendrix.
The thing that really fanned the flames and stoked the fire though was Duane Allman, Anthology. A neighbor won it in a contest, and she didn't care for it (it wasn't a cute guy), so she gave it to me. I was transformed. And this led to the discovery of BB King and Clapton's 461 Ocean Blvd, and I was off and running. Uriah Heep's Magician's Birthday also features heavily in there, sort of going in a different direction, though. So I was a weird combination of acid/hard rock, early heavy metal, and blues of all sorts. Then I branched out to include country rock, singer-songwriter, glam, prog, funk, and the list keeps on going. The list of who I didn't like was probably shorter than the list of who I did like.

Even though I used to love atmospheric electronica, Oxygene was too boring even for me.

Didnt paricularly like it, though part IV is classic, Id just never heard an album completely made with synths. Took mushrooms to most of Jarres albums after that, they made much more sense.

Didnt paricularly like it, though part IV is classic, Id just never heard an album completely made with synths. Took mushrooms to most of Jarres albums after that, they made much more sense.

:thumbs up:

Now I understand completely. Though 'shrooms never had much effect on me. High tolerance, I guess. Purple microdot, otoh...

Try Dark Side of the Moon, in the dark, with a huge (at least 6' x 10') blacklight poster of the solar system in front of you.

In quad.

:eek:

when I was a kid, living in Arlington Va., my mothers best friend was married to the drummer of a band named "The String Dusters". They were the house band at a Fairfax Va. bar named "Hunters Lodge". I was exposed to a lot of music and the guys would let me play around on their guitars. I developed a love for the instrument. The Beatles also made me want to play music.

:thumbs up:

Now I understand completely. Though 'shrooms never had much effect on me. High tolerance, I guess. Purple microdot, otoh...

Try Dark Side of the Moon, in the dark, with a huge (at least 6' x 10') blacklight poster of the solar system in front of you.

In quad.

:eek:

i hate pink floyd, my music teacher at school used to play that album to us, I dont think I could ever equate it with anything but school :(

---------- Update ----------

The Beatles. Doesn't matter what song. All of them. Second would be Hendrix.

Hendrix was big for me too...electric ladyland, what an album cover to a 12 year old :)

Husker Du "Flip Your Wig". That and Dead Kennedys "Moon Over Marin". Guess I might be a little younger than the average around here.

Husker Du "Flip Your Wig". That and Dead Kennedys "Moon Over Marin". Guess I might be a little younger than the average around here.

Maybe, but you could offer more compelling evidence than touting a couple 30-year-old albums as influences.

Ha, unless you're 60, you are. But to be fair, a lot of these guy are old regardless of physical age. :laughings:

Moon Over Marin is a great song.

I had the dead kennedys frankenchrist poster on my wall...my cleaner could never figure out what it was, mustve been blind :)

I just didn't want to be the only kid on the block who didn't play guitar, seemed like most of my mates did - wasn't any particular band or song - good old peer group pressure. Within a year I was better than all of them, and they all eventually gave up, disheartened, and went on to live shallow, meaningless lives... :D

Oh wait, that's me.:mad:

High school friend wanted to start a band, said "Dude, you should play guitar" because he knew my dad played so I had access to a few. Dad taught me a G, C, and D and I went on to become a rock god. However, my dad was inspired to play because of that Ed Sullivan Show Beatles peformance, so I guess I'm technically grandfathered into that as well lol

I was asked to take up bass as friends were forming a band. The 1st song we were to learn was Black Night by Deep Purple. That band didn't happen but the rhythm guitarists too me to another band that fell over as well - though it was based around originals and contemporary Australian like the 1st batch of Skyhooks songs. He then dragged me further afield to a new band that played a few oringinals and a few covers & played a total of 2 gigs. The drummer only had two white boy records - the 1st pair of ZZTop. Almost from day one I wanted to write & play my own songs. Black Night was & still is a good riff for bass. Buying a bass on layby with $1 a week was torturous though - $72 bass took almost a year - time frame shortened by doing odd jobs etc to earn the extra. I stopped playing with the rhythm guitarist when I went to a rural teachers' college for 3 years & he got a real job etc. He gave up but I carried on in perpetual adolescence.

Last edited:
Buying a bass on layby with !4 a week was torturous though - $72 bass took almost a year

I bought my first acoustic guitar from the proceeds of Saturday morning letter box pamphletting for the local Goodyear tyre outlet. Except that a fair percentage of them went in the bin. And eventually my co-deliverer and I got caught and fired when someone saw us chucking them away.:D

But by then I had the requisite $50 and away I went. Not sure what I told the parental units about the firing...:eek::) I was always a disappointment to them.:laughings:

Back