Spotify

Andrushkwit, I'd like to compile a playlist/album of Nirvana B-Sides and out-takes in one set without any of the shite quality rehearsal/home boombox recordings. Just all stuff like the proper studio out-takes. There must be about 30 tracks that are genuinely both good tracks and good quality but they're always in between a load of stuff that should never have been released.

The amount you get per stream depends upon a few factors, it's not just a set amount. One of those is whether it's free or paid Spotify that's doing the streaming. I tried clicking through my own album on the free version thousands of times, just as an experiment, and some revenue came through, but it wasn't picking up the multiple plays - so that's a factor as well. I get about $0.10 a month out of it... I'm saving it for a new amp. ;)

Find my album and give it a spin, would you JDOD - revenue from Wales ain't what it used to be. :D

Based on the article I linked above, the artist is estimated to receive $0.001128 per stream. Therefore it takes 886 streams to earn $1.

So 1,000,000 streams only equates to a pretty measly $1100.

and looking at Spotify's stats, Drake was the most streamed artist last year so probably netted over $2m for his 1.8bn streams. I'm guessing he's one of very few winners though.

That number in the article is the artist's share 'after the label takes its cut' - and the article admits it is an estimate. I had some iTunes-Europe streams and my income was the $0.0034xxx each I listed before - after CDBaby took its cut.

Anyone on here a user?

I was thinking of getting a Spotify account so I can listen to whatever I want to at work.
Two things?
1, What's the service like?
2, How true are reports of this service being really unethical and being a shit deal for artists?

Spotify Premium user here (actually Spotify Student...half price :D). Have it, love it, and have no guilty feeling about artists that may or may not be getting screwed over. Although to me, it sounds much more like the artists are getting screwed by their labels taking all of the Spotify profits and only leaving a measly 20% for the artist. I went with the paid version, which costs me $5 a month instead of the normal $10, because it lets me download the tunes that I want straight to my phone so I don't have to use data/wifi to stream them. It's also commercial free, which rocks, but I used the free version for nearly a year and the commercials never bothered me, although occasionally a commercial would be noticeably louder than the music's level, which could get annoying. Premium also allows unlimited plays of any single track, while I think the free version caps it at either a daily or monthly limit per song, and also caps it at like ~30-40 listening hours a month, I believe.

But yeah, Spotify isn't doing anything unethical. For example, I pay $5 a month, so for Spotify to make a profit with them paying about half a cent per song, I'd need to stream less than ~1,000 songs per month. I'd say I probably stream around 350-400 songs each month, so they're making about $3 from me per month. Sounds reasonable to me. Business needs money :) Who Taylor Swift and the Black Keys and the like should be upset at are their labels, not Spotify.

I do find pop stars getting upset about not getting much money for their music pretty funny though. Take a look at Taylor Swift's last album, and you'll see that she is just ONE of SEVEN credited writers for THIRTEEN tracks (and 11 producers). Most of those writers are huge heavy-hitting pop writers who have been around 20+ years, so I'm sure they did the heavy lifting. Also, I took a glance at 7 of the songs' credits, and Swift's only credits are for "lead vocals, background vocals, shouts (lol), claps (lololol), and heartbeat (WTF LOLOLOLOLOL)." So she didn't touch a single instrument in the entire production of the album. So the thought of her getting upset that "her" music isn't making enough money is really hilarious to me, since she probably put less than 200 hours into the entire album project. Oh boo-hoo.

So the thought of her getting upset that "her" music isn't making enough money is really hilarious to me, since she probably put less than 200 hours into the entire album project. Oh boo-hoo.

That's not really her getting upset, she's got professional complainers.

The amount you get per stream depends upon a few factors, it's not just a set amount. One of those is whether it's free or paid Spotify that's doing the streaming. I tried clicking through my own album on the free version thousands of times, just as an experiment, and some revenue came through, but it wasn't picking up the multiple plays - so that's a factor as well. I get about $0.10 a month out of it... I'm saving it for a new amp. ;)

Find my album and give it a spin, would you JDOD - revenue from Wales ain't what it used to be. :D

I see you ditched the paisleys. :mad:

I do find pop stars getting upset about not getting much money for their music pretty funny though. Take a look at Taylor Swift's last album, and you'll see that she is just ONE of SEVEN credited writers for THIRTEEN tracks (and 11 producers). Most of those writers are huge heavy-hitting pop writers who have been around 20+ years, so I'm sure they did the heavy lifting. Also, I took a glance at 7 of the songs' credits, and Swift's only credits are for "lead vocals, background vocals, shouts (lol), claps (lololol), and heartbeat (WTF LOLOLOLOLOL)." So she didn't touch a single instrument in the entire production of the album. So the thought of her getting upset that "her" music isn't making enough money is really hilarious to me, since she probably put less than 200 hours into the entire album project. Oh boo-hoo.

When Tay Tay rules the world she's going to come after you for that... :laughings:

Is the album just called Armistice? I'm having a Greg Sage morning. When I've had enough I'll do your album. Are Greg L's albums on Spotify?

Link in my sig JDOD ;) The Jongleurs / Absence - look for the big purple tree... :D

Very chilled out mate; its a genuinely good listen. I'll stick it on at home one day when I've got people over and see if they say anything like "Who's this? its good!" Its exactly the sort of thing a few of my surf mates would like. I think my bro in law would really like it.

Very chilled out mate; its a genuinely good listen. I'll stick it on at home one day when I've got people over and see if they say anything like "Who's this? its good!" Its exactly the sort of thing a few of my surf mates would like. I think my bro in law would really like it.

It's a cracking album! It will get better and better with every listen :thumbs up:

We have Spotify Premium. The wife uses it a lot but I rarely use it. I wired her iPad thing up to my old Record Player via the DIN/Tape input. Newer music sounds better through old 70's speakers.

Back