October!

I don't know what to say about that really. I didn't grow up in Kentucky, I moved here after I retired from the USAF. Also, I did live in Europe for 14 years. As for scones, I lost my scone virginity while on holiday in England in the early 1980s and discovered that I quite liked scones. I have to admit though, the best scones I have ever had, I baked myself. Darn, now I have to make some scones.

A transplant. That explains it. :D

I'm not really that fond of the scones I've had. They've not been bad, but just nothing I would get a hankering for. Seem a little like crescent rolls with a touch of icing. I suppose if it's something one has grown up with, then it would be a taste of your childhood. I'd have you send me some good ones that you baked, but I doubt they'd survive the postal service trip with anything that resembled their taste when fresh.

So, what flavor(s) do you favor?

That's awfully gay, dude. Coffee black!!

I really do wish using 'gay' as a derogatory term would go out of style. I've got enough gay friends that I've become aware of how offensive it is. It's like if everybody referred to someone that they think is being a wuss as being really 'Jersey'.

LEAVES? LEAVES?
Things come in threes over here with Spring et al - the world gets frisky & horrid.
late last week a big RAT got into our roof cavity - ran around for two days & then became stuck in the wall cavity,
The next day I broke a tooth
& yesterday a swarm of bees arrived in the yard & before I could blink - MOVED INTO a wall cavity through one of those 1cm vent slits that are dispersed along a brick line.
Now, I have to
a) wait to find out if the rat dies in there (there's bait up tin the roof cavity) - I'll tell by the smeklll & the weather has been 30 Deg Celsius for the last couple of days so it'll be obvious soon,
b) decide whether to employ an apiarist to cut a big hole in an interior wall to try to get the queen bee & thence the rest of the swarm before they set up a perm home OR (as recommended by the state Govt.) get the pest mob in to keeeeeeeel them all & then
c) try to get to a dentist tomorrow arvo after work after a long weekend.
I wish I had some deciduous trees to relieve the stacked shocks with a little tedium!
It was all fine for a bit as the wife was on holidays with her sister but now she's back it's all become URGENT.
then agin - that's three so I should be OK for a while shouldn't I?

Jesus...we had wasps in my last home, only bugs I deal with here are ants every time it rains...though ive had a couple of snakes on the driveway too...how did I end living anywhere where there are snakes!

But leaves are my mortal enemy, and if you dont time clearups right you deal with your neighbours leaves too...Im on a corner lot and I get everyones, serious problem, trees begone!

try to get to a dentist tomorrow arvo after work after a long weekend.

Isn't it amazing that most tooth problems happen Friday night or Saturday so you have to deal with it all weekend...the really bad ones will happen at the very beginning of a three day weekend.

We had bees over the summer. Got into the wall from a small hole outside my son's room. Never came into the house. There was a 50/50 chance they were killer bees as there has been a lot of activity from them in the area over the years. Eventually, they moved on, but trying to get a professional to come out to remove them was difficult. More painful than the bees. Evidently, bees are on some list and it's illegal to kill them.

Bees suck; anything that flies and stings/bites sucks, for that matter. I broke my 33 year run without a single bee/wasp sting over this summer - used to run and scream like a little girl but one blindsided me from under a tarp that was on my cousin's boat. He's allergic to them so I always tried to avoid them like the plague - by running and screaming, etc - but now I am death to all flying stinging insects...they need to fear ME now, since I didn't die when I got stung... :laughings:

Oh, and October is the best month of the year. Weather is starting to cool off; already got 2 pumpkins ready to turn into homemade pies and plan on getting one ready to go for when I smoke the last brisket of the year here towards Halloween. Good stuff!

LEAVES? LEAVES?
Things come in threes over here with Spring et al - the world gets frisky & horrid.
late last week a big RAT got into our roof cavity - ran around for two days & then became stuck in the wall cavity,
The next day I broke a tooth
& yesterday a swarm of bees arrived in the yard & before I could blink - MOVED INTO a wall cavity through one of those 1cm vent slits that are dispersed along a brick line.
Now, I have to
a) wait to find out if the rat dies in there (there's bait up tin the roof cavity) - I'll tell by the smeklll & the weather has been 30 Deg Celsius for the last couple of days so it'll be obvious soon,
b) decide whether to employ an apiarist to cut a big hole in an interior wall to try to get the queen bee & thence the rest of the swarm before they set up a perm home OR (as recommended by the state Govt.) get the pest mob in to keeeeeeeel them all & then
c) try to get to a dentist tomorrow arvo after work after a long weekend.
I wish I had some deciduous trees to relieve the stacked shocks with a little tedium!
It was all fine for a bit as the wife was on holidays with her sister but now she's back it's all become URGENT.
then agin - that's three so I should be OK for a while shouldn't I?

You appear to be doomed ray... :D

Bees suck; anything that flies and stings/bites sucks, for that matter. I broke my 33 year run without a single bee/wasp sting over this summer - used to run and scream like a little girl but one blindsided me from under a tarp that was on my cousin's boat. He's allergic to them so I always tried to avoid them like the plague - by running and screaming, etc -!

On the pain scale a bee sting is about a 3. Last time I got stung I was doing the right thing and attempting to save one of the dopey buggers that was about to be claimed by the incoming tide. Have no idea why bees were at the beach. Mongrel stung me. Animals... they're not big on gratitude.:(

Tooth sorted (AUS$400+ later), Bees were dealt with today - the fellow who came said there's been q rash of such events during the last couple of days. He stood amongst the buzzing critters outside their entry point & not a one came near him. He did his spraying - we felt bad but the Mrs is allergic to them - and we paid up. The chap, a Scot in Oz, said he's only been stung once - siting in his livingroom watching telly in SCOTLAND!!!!! No rat last night, def. there the night before though. I am doomed because I'm off to the nation's capital with 44 12 year old on Monday!

It's funny, with all this talk about bees (but I guess it is that time of year), yesterday I was driving with my window down and one flew in the car, landed in my lap, and proceeded to fly up inside the leg of my shorts! Talk about panic! Fortunately the bee was so disoriented I was able to retrieve him and toss him out without incident.

It's funny, with all this talk about bees (but I guess it is that time of year), yesterday I was driving with my window down and one flew in the car, landed in my lap, and proceeded to fly up inside the leg of my shorts! Talk about panic! Fortunately the bee was so disoriented I was able to retrieve him and toss him out without incident.

:eek: :eek: and more :eek: !!!

Leaves! Fucking leaves!! Ive lived in cities all my adult life, last year the suburbs and around a dozen mature trees in my yard...over 100 mulched bags last year, including two hired clear ups...i still have areas with leaves from last year...ive hired a guy to come weekly but Im thinking cut em down and concrete the whole area

I hate autumn, fall, leaves, pumpkins....im sure halloweens Scottish in origin too...stupid country :mad:
Don't forget rain gutters. Yummy :rolleyes:

Leaves! Fucking leaves!! Ive lived in cities all my adult life, last year the suburbs and around a dozen mature trees in my yard...over 100 mulched bags last year, including two hired clear ups...i still have areas with leaves from last year...ive hired a guy to come weekly but Im thinking cut em down and concrete the whole area

I hate autumn, fall, leaves, pumpkins....im sure halloweens Scottish in origin too...stupid country :mad:

100 bags, mulched? Those must be some big-ass trees! I've got a bunch of large maples, plus assorted other leaf-bearing shrubs and trees, and usually get about 40 unmulched bags full. I used to use my pickup to haul a load at a time (each equal to about 8 bags) to the landfill - until they started charging and the lines became 20-30 minutes waits each load.

He who rakes last rakes least.
Mmm.. Yeah but you got'a factor in what happens if you wait -and it rains! Their mass goes up what,.. x10?

I lost some nice shade out front- but it had them tiny leaves :facepalm:
The city took it out after we saw it starting to pull the sidewalk up in the last big wind. Freaky! Luckily it was headed away from the house, but we moved the car, and the ones across the street.

Baked cookies yesterday. No pumpkin spice. Didn't eat any. Got my share from the raw dough...yeah, I know, don't eat raw dough: Don't care, I still like my cookies that way. :)
Wife is baking pumpkin spice whatevers today. Might try one when I get home from work.

Back