I went to Disney two weeks ago

Been to Disneyland in CA once when I was a kid....it was cool then.

Went to Disneyworld in FL, twice...once back in the mid-'80s with my ex...and again in the late '90s just because we were in the area, a co-worker and I, on some training thing...but we liked Pleasure Island a lot better, at night. Her and I hit every club there and got totally wasted...so much, that when we stepped out on the dance floor at one club, we never noticed it had a revolving dance floor. :)

We both ended up laying on the floor, looking up, 2 seconds later. :p
It was funny as shit.

Ouch, you are really scaring me. LoL. I had this plan to bring wife to visit Disney, although I confess that I have a paranoia about visit USA after so many terrorist attacks in crowded places. Oh, well, you are showing so many thumbs down that it is making me think that USA is not being a great destination lately...

:(

Anyway, one of the things I really liked in Disney parks were the apparent safety sensation about the toys maintenance. Here in Brasil I NEVER go to any park because they treat the installations like shit, so it's not uncommon to have an axle broken causing to throw someone several meters away and getting an awful injury. A few time ago I read in the news that a small boy died electrocuted in an attraction after to grab an iron handrail. How are the safety on Disney nowadays? There is a chance that the maintenance is in the same boat of poor quality?

:eek:
Yan, the USA is a great place to visit but don't go to Disneyworld! (or Dinseyland.... or Vegas for that matter) go and see some of America - its fucking huge and varies greatly from place to place. I definitely want to go back a few more times.

I kind of agree about the food though. You can get decent food if you go to nice restaurants but yeah, on the whole everything tastes really similar, is really sweet and really high in fat.
I remember ordering cereal, coffee and orange juice at a cafe one morning... the waitress just stood there, like she was expecting to order more or something, I actually had to say "Yes, that's all I want"

Yan, the USA is a great place to visit but don't go to Disneyworld! (or Dinseyland.... or Vegas for that matter) go and see some of America - its fucking huge and varies greatly from place to place. I definitely want to go back a few more times.

I kind of agree about the food though. You can get decent food if you go to nice restaurants but yeah, on the whole everything tastes really similar, is really sweet and really high in fat.
I remember ordering cereal, coffee and orange juice at a cafe one morning... the waitress just stood there, like she was expecting to order more or something, I actually had to say "Yes, that's all I want"

That's a generalization that is probably mostly true. The crap, high sugar, fat, salt chain places outnumber the good places 20 to 1 *but* there are tons of great restaurants to be found, and not all expensive. My best advice is to know some locals who actually like food :-) In the DC area there you can get great Thai, Greek, Italian, Spanish, El Salvadoran, Ethiopian, whatever you want - then decent 'american' food like diners and bbq. The trick is finding the good ones.

That's a generalization that is probably mostly true. The crap, high sugar, fat, salt chain places outnumber the good places 20 to 1 *but* there are tons of great restaurants to be found, and not all expensive. My best advice is to know some locals who actually like food :-) In the DC area there you can get great Thai, Greek, Italian, Spanish, El Salvadoran, Ethiopian, whatever you want - then decent 'american' food like diners and bbq. The trick is finding the good ones.

There's nothing less credible than a limey talking about american food. :laughings:

Ha! we only dined at Disney, had their meal plan...and their pools have no chlorine, they use bromide
thwarted again evil dr Chili!
:)
BROMIDE - so it was your missus' idea for you to go for a swim? Sent you did she? How to deal with a randy Scotts git? (apologies to the Monkeys & young Davie in particular).

There's nothing less credible than a limey talking about american food. :laughings:

Or a yank talking about European food for that matter! :laughings:

I think it was last time I was in the US (might have been the time before) I was in Colorado. I asked a girl for a breakfast recommendation. She said I should try a "Railyard" if I was planning on a busy day.... a Railyard was a bacon, sausage, egg, cheese (why do you put cheese with everything?), hash browns, avocado, possibly 1 or 2 other things which was all stuffed inside a jumbo croissant! It nearly sent me into a coma! Admittedly, I did perk up by about 10:30 AM but I felt very sluggish for hours!

To be fair, I had a lot of nice food in San Fran and there was a lot of nice choice of good places to eat. I've been to Colorado a few times now and it does tend to be a bit "Fries with that? Extra Cheese? Pour unnecessary sweet stuff all over it?" all accompanied by a massive grin!

Not been to the South by friends of mine have told me that the food in Texas, Louisiana and the Carolinas was really good and did have a real regional feel to it. In fact he wrote a book about his travels through that part of the US.

Or a yank talking about European food for that matter! :laughings:

I think it was last time I was in the US (might have been the time before) I was in Colorado. I asked a girl for a breakfast recommendation. She said I should try a "Railyard" if I was planning on a busy day.... a Railyard was a bacon, sausage, egg, cheese (why do you put cheese with everything?), hash browns, avocado, possibly 1 or 2 other things which was all stuffed inside a jumbo croissant! It nearly sent me into a coma! Admittedly, I did perk up by about 10:30 AM but I felt very sluggish for hours!

To be fair, I had a lot of nice food in San Fran and there was a lot of nice choice of good places to eat. I've been to Colorado a few times now and it does tend to be a bit "Fries with that? Extra Cheese? Pour unnecessary sweet stuff all over it?" all accompanied by a massive grin!

Not been to the South by friends of mine have told me that the food in Texas, Louisiana and the Carolinas was really good and did have a real regional feel to it. In fact he wrote a book about his travels through that part of the US.

Lol. You just overate, which while indeed making you feel bad, it is the american way!

If you come to america and eat and at diners or schticky tourist traps, you will be overfed, over-seasoned, over everything. Regional cuisine done right, no matter where you are, is always best. You don't go to NYC to eat at Pizza Hut. You get a real slice from a NYC local shop.

Lol. You just overate, which while indeed making you feel bad, it is the american way!

If you come to america and eat and at diners or schticky tourist traps, you will be overfed, over-seasoned, over everything. Regional cuisine done right, no matter where you are, is always best. You don't go to NYC to eat at Pizza Hut. You get a real slice from a NYC local shop.

Yeah, I realised after a while that I could go for small portions of stuff and that what I consider to be a large meal isn't necessarily considered large in the US! I don't know if its true that Colorado doesn't have its own regional food though - it did tend to just be steaks and burgers really.

I want to go to Utah in the next couple of years.

Yeah, I realised after a while that I could go for small portions of stuff and that what I consider to be a large meal isn't necessarily considered large in the US! I don't know if its true that Colorado doesn't have its own regional food though - it did tend to just be steaks and burgers really.

I want to go to Utah in the next couple of years.

I'd guess "Colorado food" is basic, western range style cooking. Steaks, burgers, probably with some native american or mexican influence. More exotic meats like Buffalo, Deer, and Elk are pretty common for burgers and stuff. The wild west of the US isn't really known for fine cuisine unless you go all the way to the coast. No one goes to Utah for the food. The scenery is breathtaking, the food is meh.

I had a peanut butter and jelly burger at this rooftop restaurant in Denver last year, and holy shit that thing was good. :laughings:

I think it was called Amato's Rooftop or something like that.

No one goes to Utah for the food. The scenery is breathtaking, the food is meh.

I had a peanut butter and jelly burger at this rooftop restaurant in Denver last year, and holy shit that thing was good. :laughings:
Peanut Butter and Jelly burger?!?!? Holy fuck, that's like the epitome of American Fine Dining isn't it? Denver is fugly city isn't it?

I'm looking at going to Utah for the mountains not the food!

I like the way the threads going lol

If anyone does a disney resort with kids Id recommend the meal plan..lsaved us a fortune in $$ and time...bit hard as a veggie but most places are.

I was in jacksonville, well south of it, for four days before. Man the food sucked, it must be geared towards old people with not long to live...Even the food here is better from what restaurants I did go to. St Augustine was nice, very european in looks,

BROMIDE - so it was your missus' idea for you to go for a swim? Sent you did she? How to deal with a randy Scotts git? (apologies to the Monkeys & young Davie in particular).

Bromide is cuban for kiddie piss :D

In my somewhat limited experience (I used to run a coffee and breakfast joint in Newport RI), the food tastes the way it does because of the food providers. It's often difficult and always expensive to get the real good stuff. Most times the products can be purchased through local farms but the consistency of quality (actually, how it looks) varies and the prices can quickly make it cost prohibitive. So to make it more palatable, they add salt (especially to proteins) and sugars (pretty much everything else). I haven't been to Europe in a couple of years but my brother lives in London (and he travels all over the world for his job) and we had this discussion in Amsterdam with members of the crew of one of my favorite bands and we all agreed. In Europe, most places buy their stuff local, so it's fresh (not frozen, not processed, not even packaged for the most part) and each location seems to have it's own "flavor". I'm not talking style of cuisine either. My family is Greek and my parents go back every year for 3 months vacation. I've been to Greece a bunch of times. The food is always better tasting. On my honeymoon in Santorini back in '92, my wife and I couldn't believe the difference in taste (the salads especially).

Greg is correct, find a local that likes food.

JDOD, I've not been but I suspect you'll love Utah.

Peanut Butter and Jelly burger?!?!? Holy fuck, that's like the epitome of American Fine Dining isn't it?
It was though. This wasn't some greasy dive burger. It was a hand-made, locally grown blah blah foodie hipster burger. The peanut butter was natural, the jelly was some kind of local grown berry jam, and the meat was exquisite. The PB sort of melted into the meat and the jelly wasn't super sweet. It was almost like cranberry. It was fucking fantastic.

Denver is fugly city isn't it?
Parts of it were, like any city, but the mountains and shit were beautiful. Besides, I live in Houston. Pretty much any city that's not Houston is pretty compared to Houston.

I couldn't believe the difference in taste (the salads especially).
Its amazing when you have a salad where the leaves themselves actually taste good and they're not just a tasteless carrier for whatever dressing you decide to drench them in.

Im a fully qualified chef, been head chef in a couple of places, also ran and managed a few branded and non branded restaurants and food retail before I stopped working and I find the US and UK no better than each other. Not that it makes my opinion the truth but...

The US excels in many areas, but so does the UK...US food is based on other countries and cultures that theyve taken ownership of and made their own. I actually prefer American-Italian to Italian much of the time. The UK has all the influences of the emipire and Europe. Both have a saturation of bland as fuck awful chains that make one high street look like every high street. And both depend on region.

Australian food is remarkably good too, and their coffee, its the cafe culture that I liked most when I was there but Asian food is better there too.

It was though. This wasn't some greasy dive burger. It was a hand-made, locally grown blah blah foodie hipster burger. The peanut butter was natural, the jelly was some kind of local grown berry jam, and the meat was exquisite. The PB sort of melted into the meat and the jelly wasn't super sweet. It was almost like cranberry. It was fucking fantastic.

Parts of it were, like any city, but the mountains and shit were beautiful. Besides, I live in Houston. Pretty much any city that's not Houston is pretty compared to Houston.

I just remember Denver being predominantly brown, dark brown, light brown and beige - its a stop off point with a large airport though - its not like you spend a holiday there!

I would like to go to Texas but I can't think of a reason to go there other than I'd quite like to. There's no snow and there's far better places to surf. Would be nice to find a reason to stop off for a few days though.

Back