Most of the time you never get a chance to say goodbye.

moresound

Loud Sun Studios
Yesterday my dad passed peacefully in his sleep.
We had a great father/son relationship he readied me for the world and showed me how to be a real man.
Time and time again he told me how proud he was of me and all I could do was to thank him for it was his example that I had followed.
Before it's to late every single one of you should reflect call your parents or loved ones and say I love ya and thank you.

Sure gonna miss my dad. :(

Sorry to hear about your loss, Henry.
My condolences to you and your family.

My Dad passed about 10 years ago...so I know the feeling.
Still have my mom...she's getting on in years, but I do get to spend time with her every summer, she stays with me half the year. I'll miss her a lot when her time comes.

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's cool to hear your dad say he's proud of you. When my kids do something great, I let them know I'm proud of them. I hope it makes a difference in their lives like your dad did for you.

:)

We had a great father/son relationship he readied me for the world and showed me how to be a real man.
Time and time again he told me how proud he was of me and all I could do was to thank him for it was his example that I had followed.
Before it's to late every single one of you should reflect call your parents or loved ones and say I love ya and thank you.

Sure gonna miss my dad. :(

Sorry Henry. :( I'm glad you had such a great relationship with him though.

Sorry to hear of his passing, yet glad you had the opportunity.

My dad and I were never close, yet in so many ways, both good and bad, I'm a lot like him.

Time and time again he told me how proud he was of me...

He'd be proud to hear what you just wrote.

Damn Henry, I'm very sorry. I don't have many good vibes to throw around, but I'm sending them all your way.

Reactions: TAE
I'm sorry for your loss. You're right. Taking the time to tell people now instead of regretting never having the chance is the best way to go. Maybe you can channel some of your loss into the music.
Rod Norman

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's passing, and I know you wish you could have said goodbye first. But the important thing is that the two of you had a great father/son relationship, so you shouldn't feel the need for any regrets.

I don't know if there's life beyond death, or some kind of superior/supreme being(s) watching over us, but I choose to think that there is (on both accounts). There are too many strange things in this universe for me to believe that mind/spirit is nothing more than the product of electro-chemical processes taking place within a material body.

I'm going to be facing this scenario with my own father and mother before too long. It's scary to think about, because it reminds me that I'm a lot older than I prefer to think of myself as being (in my mind I'm still a teenager), and I don't want to admit to myself that my time on this planet grows shorter with each passing year. I've lost friends through the years, but the death that had the greatest impact on me so far was when my younger brother died from internal injuries sustained in an automobile accident a few months after I graduated from high school. I saw him in my dreams afterward-- and still do, occasionally. I'm sure most of them were/are just dreams, but there was one in particular that stuck in my mind:

I met my brother at a large outdoor festival-- there were some buildings like a small town, or the streets of small buildings and shops you see in Disneyworld and the like, plus large open areas where people could address the crowd or put on shows. As I understood it, it was a kind of fair or festival that was put on by the "dead" so the "living" could mingle with them and hear about their experiences.

I distinctly remember that at one of the outdoor areas or booths there was a man giving away free packs of cigarettes to anyone who wanted them (and many people accepted them), because he said he'd had to give them up after having both of his lungs removed due to lung disease caused by smoking. (I'm a smoker, by the way, albeit not a heavy smoker.)

And my younger brother told me he'd been writing poetry-- I got the impression it was part of his "adjustment process" in some way. He read me one of his poems, which I still (mostly) remember. It was very short, and not at all like the usual idea of a poem:

"What do we call the one who put the oak the way it is beneath the pine?" asked the owl.
"The Devil," said the rabbit (or some other animal?).

I don't pretend that the dream was "real"-- I don't know if it was or wasn't-- but I do remember it all these years later, and I've often thought about the "poem" my brother read to me, because it was so odd. The best "sense" I've been able to make of it is that it was about things positioned in a less-than-ideal environment or situation, like a seed that falls on a granite outcropping rather than in loamy earth. (I assume that pine needles shed by a pine tree must do something to the acidity or alkalinity of the soil which might hinder the "ideal" growth of an oak sapling, or something like that.) And the answer to the owl's question-- as well as the wording of the question itself-- was also intriguing. The question wasn't "Who is the one," but "What do we call the one"-- which suggests that the answer may be more a matter of perception than reality. And then there's the fact that the question was posed by the (wise) owl but the answer came from a meek (and possibly not-so-wise) creature, like a Zen master asking a riddle to assess a student's understanding as exhibited by the answer given.

I didn't mean to go off on some bizarre tangent-- although I'm known to do that sort of thing-- or to forget about your advice about saying "Thank you" and "I love you" to our parents or other family members and friends before it's too late.

I guess what I want to say is that-- whether or not you believe in life beyond death-- you should take a moment to say goodbye to your departed father, to thank him one last time, and to wish him well on the next phase of his journey through the mysteries of existence. You never know-- he may be listening and watching from the other side.

Sending condolences moosehead. I hope that when my ole man passes he goes with the same pride in me and mine..

To add to what you said. My Dad whilst fantastic and did a great job with us kids, never could express his obvious pride in us. To all Dads, if your proud of em, tell em..

My Dad whilst fantastic and did a great job with us kids, never could express his obvious pride in us. To all Dads, if your proud of em, tell em..

[CSN&Y]Teach your children well; their father's hell will slowly go by. And feed them on your dreams...[/CSN&Y]

Sorry to here about your loss Henry

I lost my father in my mid twenties, but as I killed him the impact was less.

I never knew my dad. Be thankful your dad is in your life and you have a great relationship. That is a true blessing.

I used present tense as your dad is still with you and a part of your life forever.

Sorry to hear, Henry. My condolences. I lost my dad in January of this year. It's not easy, that's for sure.

I am so sorry for your loss. Our departed loved ones never really leave us, my mother died in 2002 but I still find myself thinking that I need to call her whenever something funny or special or whatever happens in my life just to share it with her. I still have my dad and visit with him four or five time a year.

Back