I'm ready for some football.

There's no way anyone was going into Denver and winning that game on that night.

I've never been a fan of Peyton Manning, but I've always been very impressed with his ruthless killer instinct on the field and his professionalism. That guy is an assassin of defenses. 510 touchdown....and counting. That's fucking insane.

I think his record is safe for a long time. Even in today's sad landscape of refs protecting the offense, it would take an extremely lucky and supremely gifted individual to have a career so consistently bad ass that they could catch wherever Peyton's number stops.

But I'm also not okay with selective enforcement of rules, especially when it decides a fucking game. Any game. Some things are indisputable. Facemask, offsides, false start, illegal shifts, etc. No problem. Judgement calls like holding and PI should never decide a game. Let em play.

So you're not in favor of selective enforcement, but you think certain penalties should never be called at the end of a game. Those two statements are inherently contradictory. The rules are the rules are the rules from the 1st quarter to the last play, and the officials should call every penalty in a vacuum. They can't be thinking "I just called holding so I can't call it again" or "this is a big moment in the game so I should swallow the whistle."

So you're not in favor of selective enforcement, but you think certain penalties should never be called at the end of a game. Those two statements are inherently contradictory. The rules are the rules are the rules from the 1st quarter to the last play, and the officials should call every penalty in a vacuum. They can't be thinking "I just called holding so I can't call it again" or "this is a big moment in the game so I should swallow the whistle."

It's so funny that you support such a blatantly flawed system because it went your way. Had Notre Dames TD been upheld you'd be shitting yourself. I get it...it all balances out. Well, it used to anyway. You got some calls, you fell victim to some calls. But it always seemed to even out. Not anymore. That was home cooking. That stupid penalty called on ND is like calling pass interference on a hail mary. I suppose you think that should be called, huh? It's the rules! Asinine.

What I said is not contradictory because that's exactly how the game used to be officiated. Super Bowls? Conference championships? Bowl games? Refs used to never DREAM of having one of their calls decide a game. The bigger the game, the less stuff got called. They let the players play the game. It was awesome. Maybe you're just too young to remember a time when no one knew refs names and they never decided games. Seriously, this is a new phenomenon. Ed Hochuli. Gene Steratore. Jeff Triplette. No one should know these motherfuckers names. But we all do because the fucking refs are now a part of the game.

I want less calls overall.

What I said is not contradictory because that's exactly how the game used to be officiated. Super Bowls? Conference championships? Bowl games? Refs used to never DREAM of having one of their calls decide a game. The bigger the game, the less stuff got called.

That is the very definition of selective enforcement.

They let the players play the game. It was awesome.

And now guys like Brian Kelly are copying the Seahawks and Broncos: They're banking on the fact that they can deliberately coach illegal plays and they won't be called. And who can blame him? It's a perfectly rational response. Selective enforcement is being used at the expense of the integrity of the game.

Interesting read on the subject:

How the Seahawks and Broncos Have Avoided Dozens of Penalties on Pass Plays This Season - WSJ

Maybe you're just too young to remember a time when no one knew refs names and they never decided games. Seriously, this is a new phenomenon. Ed Hochuli. Gene Steratore. Jeff Triplette. No one should know these motherfuckers names. But we all do because the fucking refs are now a part of the game.

I want less calls overall.

I am not too young. I remember the Redskins dynasty of the late 80's and early 90's. Penalties were a much smaller part of the game back then. I want fewer penalties too but there are better ways to reduce penalties than to stop calling clear violations at key times. For example they should stop calling excessive celebration (who fucking cares? it has nothing to do with the game) and stop calling penalties because the QB's head was grazed. Stop calling hands to the face unless it's really frigging bad. Stop calling offensive holding unless it really is holding. Give DBs more leeway to put hands on players beyond 5 yards (within reason). Stop calling personal fouls for language or hand gestures.

The problem is selective enforcement. Teams are now banking on refs not calling penalties at key times, and calling plays accordingly. Now refs are pushing back, and for the immediate time frame it fucking sucks. Hopefully there is an adjustment period and teams will react by going back to a cleaner game and we'll have fewer calls and also fewer bullshit pick plays and pass interferences that aren't called.

That is the very definition of selective enforcement.
75% of officiating is selective enforcement. Besides time, procedural, and a handful of personal foul penalties, it's all judgement calls. All of it. The deciding play of the game is the worst time to get all rulebooky when you let everything slide for the other 59 minutes of the game.

And now guys like Brian Kelly are copying the Seahawks and Broncos: They're banking on the fact that they can deliberately coach illegal plays and they won't be called. And who can blame him? It's a perfectly rational response. Selective enforcement is being used at the expense of the integrity of the game.

Interesting read on the subject:

How the Seahawks and Broncos Have Avoided Dozens of Penalties on Pass Plays This Season - WSJ
WTF? Pick plays and DBs being grabby have existed since day one of the forward pass. This isn't some new shit. Why only now is it such a horrendous problem in the NFL? Those plays don't hurt the integrity of the game. The new emphasis on flagging those plays hurts the integrity of the game. They're neutering football.

I am not too young. I remember the Redskins dynasty of the late 80's and early 90's. Penalties were a much smaller part of the game back then. I want fewer penalties too but there are better ways to reduce penalties than to stop calling clear violations at key times. For example they should stop calling excessive celebration (who fucking cares? it has nothing to do with the game) and stop calling penalties because the QB's head was grazed. Stop calling hands to the face unless it's really frigging bad. Stop calling offensive holding unless it really is holding. Give DBs more leeway to put hands on players beyond 5 yards (within reason). Stop calling personal fouls for language or hand gestures.

The problem is selective enforcement. Teams are now banking on refs not calling penalties at key times, and calling plays accordingly. Now refs are pushing back, and for the immediate time frame it fucking sucks. Hopefully there is an adjustment period and teams will react by going back to a cleaner game and we'll have fewer calls and also fewer bullshit pick plays and pass interferences that aren't called.

I do agree. Call less penalties. Been saying it all along. The refs are being instructed to call more stuff by the leagues and it sucks..

I kinda expected a bit more from the Chargers.

Man I've never been a fan of Peyton Manning, but goddamn that big headed fucker is playing better than ever. It's unbelievable how dialed in he is. He dissects defenses like a surgeon.

In other news Lt, it might be a bad weekend for us. LSU v Ole Miss, and Saints v Packers. The way our teams are playing, I don't like our chances in either game.

Man I've never been a fan of Peyton Manning, but goddamn that big headed fucker is playing better than ever. It's unbelievable how dialed in he is. He dissects defenses like a surgeon.

In other news Lt, it might be a bad weekend for us. LSU v Ole Miss, and Saints v Packers. The way our teams are playing, I don't like our chances in either game.

As a Packer fan I wrote off the Saints game as a loss before the season started, but now that our defense is showing signs of life I give us a better chance. The Saints are a different team at home, perhaps more so than any other team.

I am pissed at those fuckers for not beating the Lions and I'll be even more pissed at them if they beat the Packers.

As a Packer fan I wrote off the Saints game as a loss before the season started, but now that our defense is showing signs of life I give us a better chance. The Saints are a different team at home, perhaps more so than any other team.

I am pissed at those fuckers for not beating the Lions and I'll be even more pissed at them if they beat the Packers.

I don't think you'll have to sweat it. Two of our top RBs are out and the offensive line is really banged up. It's gonna be the Drew Brees show and he's prone to throw a bad pick or two when he's pressing to make something happen. On the other side of the ball, there's not a doubt in my mind Mr Olivia Munn will light up the Saints D. I agree that I too had this penciled in as a win earlier, and the Saints are different at home, but we're different this whole season. Not the same Saints this year.

yeah ..... I was talking bout that to the wife.
I think Ole Miss is gonna kick our ass ...... not so sure the Packers will but they might.
But Ole Miss is gonna be motivated ...... it's been a while since they were this much stronger than LSU ...... I think they're gonna rub our noses in it.

yeah ..... I was talking bout that to the wife.
I think Ole Miss is gonna kick our ass ...... not so sure the Packers will but they might.
But Ole Miss is gonna be motivated ...... it's been a while since they were this much stronger than LSU ...... I think they're gonna rub our noses in it.

With no viable passing game and Miles insistence on running because of no passing game, Ole Miss will just load the box and we'll be punting all night.

With no viable passing game and Miles insistence on running because of no passing game, Ole Miss will just load the box and we'll be punting all night.
thank God I'm gigging so I won't have to watch it and curse the TV all night!

:laughings:

Of course the LSU/Ole Miss rivalry isn't what it used to be but at one time this was THE game.
One year back when I was at LSU and computers used punchcards, someone at Ole Miss had a plane fly over LSU and throw out tens of thousands of punchcards over the campus.
I mean they were everywhere ..... blanketing the entire campus and on the cards was punched: LSUCKS ........ :eek:

hahahahaha ....... that was the good old days ....... you couldn't do that nowadays without someone going to jail and the pilot losing his license.

Back