Epic intros

"Sharpshooter" by Motorhead. "Backwater" {the live version} by Status Quo. "Warriors" by Thin Lizzy. "Warrior" and "Throw down the Sword" by Wishbone Ash. "You can't always get what you want", "Dandelion", Get off of my cloud", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Sympathy for the Devil", "Gimme Shelter" and "Street Fighting Man" by the Rolling Stones. "Dance of the Maya" and "Sister Andrea" by the Mahavishnu Orchestra. "Space Circus" by Return to Forever. "Vuelta Abajo" by Lifetime. "Bitche's Brew" by Miles Davis. "Hey Beautiful Dreamer", "Marlina", "Here comes that feeling again", "Lovely to see you" and "Eagles Fly" by the Bay City Rollers. "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon........

"It's You", "Goin' Home" and "Traffic in My Mind" by the Osmonds. "Bad Card" and "Misty Morning" by Bob Marley and the Wailers. "Song for Bob Dylan" and "Cracked Actor" by David Bowie. "Pardon Me", "Without Love", "Meet me at the Airport", "Christmas time" and "Nightmare" by Larry Norman. "Bullet the Blue Sky", "Stories for Boys" and "An Cat Dubh" by U2. "What a lovely Day" and "Promises of Spring" by Forever More. "Purple Haze" and Nine to the Universe" by Jimi Hendrix. "Boris the Spider" by the Who. "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by Status Quo. "In My Time of Dying", "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Houses of the Holy" by Led Zeppelin. "You Keep Me Hanging On" by the Supremes. "Let There Be Rock" by AC/DC. "Spit it out" by Ted Nugent. "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan. "King Midas in Reverse" by the Hollies. "Harmour Love" by Syreeta Wright. "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" by Stevie Wonder. "Contact" by the Police.

I've long loved good intros. In my songs, I nearly always strive to create a memorable intro. Some of my intros have been longer than many peoples' actual songs ! And that's the thing with intros, they don't need to follow any particular rules or methods to appeal to me. They can be short, long, mysterious, convoluted, simple, I don't care. The only rule is that I like it !
There are quite a number of songs I have where I consider the intro to be way better than the song itself.

"Small Blue Thing", "Language", "Solitude Standing", "Wooden Horse", "Cracking", "Pilgrimage" and "Straight Lines" by Suzanne Vega. "Love You To" and "She said, she said" by the Beatles. "Gonna Raise Hell" and "The House is Rocking" by Cheap Trick. "Breadfan" and "In for the Kill" by Budgie. "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "39" by Queen. "From a Buick 6", "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" and "Queen Jane Approximately" by Bob Dylan.

OK, I'll stop now.....:spank:

This is one of my top 5 album covers, ever. I don't care for the album itself, but that cover....! I wish I'd designed that but I was only 6 at the time and thinking about moves to London, a new school and having a baby brother....

This is one of my top 5 album covers, ever. I don't care for the album itself, but that cover....! I wish I'd designed that but I was only 6 at the time and thinking about moves to London, a new school and having a baby brother....
The van with all the equipment laid out in front of it on the back cover; I once read that it and all the equipment was stolen in New Orleans?
I love the intro, dark, very dark. My cats start looking around for danger when it starts. They were pretty avante garde at the time. After they hit pay dirt with DSOTM I kind of gave up on them. They seemed to copy it over and over but more depressing each time. Just about anytime they come on the radio with anything after Dark Side I change the station. I used to be a huge fan. Saw them three times, once in Carnegie Hall for three dollars! It is the same with me and Zep now, used to be a big fan, was at the song remains the same movie concert, they didn't sound too good that night, I was quite disappointed. I will usually change the station when they come on now unless it's off say LZ3. A funny thing about Astronomy Domine. I couldn't get the line "Stairway scare Dan Dare who's there? Nobody knew it and there was no sheet music for it. I finally by the CD 30? years later and the lyrics are on it. It was like getting the decoder ring in the movie "A Christmas Story". Of course I had to look up who Dan Dare was even though I was a contemporary in another country.

Last edited:
There’s a lot to f good stuff here, but not all that I would consider “epic”.

To me an epic intro is its own composition, and could stand alone as a viable piece of music. A song within a song if you will, but somehow it blends seamlessly into the actual song. Epic intros are generally longer than your typical intro and are much different than an intro with a strong hook.

But that’s just my definition and opinion.

Once again, not epic, but I have found this very short intro to be very strange for this type of tune and wondered who came up with it? I also think it is pretty cool.

To me an epic intro is its own composition, and could stand alone as a viable piece of music. A song within a song if you will, but somehow it blends seamlessly into the actual song. Epic intros are generally longer than your typical intro and are much different than an intro with a strong hook.

Yup. The Steve Hunter intro to Sweet Jane is one of the only non-overtures to qualify by this standard.

Once again, not epic, but I have found this very short intro to be very strange for this type of tune and wondered who came up with it? I also think it is pretty cool.

Two bars? Maybe just one really. Not an intro. But good choice nonetheless. The Mindbenders was better. Man you're old Jerry. lol :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

He won it in the war!
In 1944 !!

And you are right. There are actually not many intros that are epic in that sense. I half considered that as I was typing some of my novella, but I could see that I was already drifting into sidetracksville so I thought I may as well complete the journey.
Now, that version not only has a great intro, but it’s epic all the way around.
On both counts, you are right.
Yet, I've always found it lightweight as a song overall {even if it does have Jimmy Page on it} and trying too hard as an intro. I can't put my finger on why it isn't even close to a classic for me, because by every objective metric, it should be. Whenever I've heard him sing, even though I can see he has a great voice, it's just not one that appeals to me and I always feel like saying "Shut up, Joe !"
That said, I do have it in my 1969 singles collection.

It makes the Beatles version sound like a carnival song to me.

But…… I thank them for the song’s creation…….So that Joe and his band could do it proper justice
This is another funny one ~ I love the Beatle's version, have done since I was 13. As far as I can recall, I have only ever heard 2 cover versions of Beatle songs that I rate as highly as the original ~ one is Elton John's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and the other is Deep Purple's "Help !" which I found to be a stonking great stormer from the day I first heard it in November '79.
The van with all the equipment laid out in front of it on the back cover; I once read that it and all the equipment was stolen in New Orleans?
Yeah, it was. I'm still playing those instruments now ! I think I should change the tympani heads by now....... :ROFLMAO:
After they hit pay dirt with DSOTM I kind of gave up on them
I departed the Floyd shores after "Meddle." Not denying they did great stuff after, but I just have never been interested. Meddle for me is their high point. DSOTM established a direction for the band, Meddle was still moving towards one and that had always made them more interesting to me.
Astronomy Domine
Possibly the greatest song in their catalogue.
And it as an answer is the only one I've ever gotten correct on "University Challenge" !

Pretty much the whole Zep catalog but two fav's are Black Dog and Over the Hills and Far Away.

I love the way Supertramp had School's outro connect to Bloody Well Right's intro, tho the intro stands on its own anyhow.

The Who, Baba Oreilly and Who Are You.

Mott the Hoople, Half Moon Bay.

Bad Company, Feel Like Makin Love and Can't Get Enough.

Fleetwood Mac, World Turning, Never Going Back Again and Second Hand News

Yeah I could go on and on!

Oooh, Stone Temple Pilots, Kitchen Ware and Candy Bars

Last edited:
As short as it was the opening chord of "A Hard Day's Night" by The Beatles was epic because it grabbed your attention immediately.

The intro of Heart's song "Barricuda" was also a short sonic attention grabber.

That's the extent of my list.

Two bars? Maybe just one really. Not an intro. But good choice nonetheless. The Mindbenders was better. Man you're old Jerry. lol :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Yes I am old and proud of it. I never thought I would make it past twenty one. I was quite the madman daredevil in my youth. Two bars or not, it is still an intro and a weird one at that.

I won't bore you for awhile after this one. A slow melancholy intro to one of my favorite tunes of all time. I love playing this on acoustic guitar and using the orchestrated parts. In case anyone is interested, I will save you the trouble. Cmaj7, D, Em, Am, Em, D, Bm. To all a good day, lazy day, what a way to go!

Back