My new set up ! but im still noob :( HELP

MajoraMask

Hello guys my name is stephanie :)
Ive just started my new youtube channel and my bro told me that my mic didnt sound well as it should.
So i watched my recording and he was right ! It sound like crap ... i keep watching bunch of tutorial but none of them answer my question !
Im gonna show you what i use and please tell me where's the problem :x
This is my first time buying a good mic...
20161011_000923.jpg20161011_000644.jpg20161011_000615.jpg
Ps. The black cable is the mic one~

My mic Neewer NW-700 plugged in my compact phantom power supply with an XLR cable.
THEN
My other XLR cable plugged in my mother board.(Microphone pink hole)

My biggest question is
-Do i really need a sound card to make it work good ? Is it Necessary ?
-Do i need a software to tweak the quality ?
-IF SO wich one would you suggest ?
-Is there anything wrong in my set up ?

I noticed in mostly all tutorial and stuff people get a powersupply with an mixing interface. Do i need this also or can i just use a software ?

Attachments

• 25fonzs.jpg
    25fonzs.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hey Stephanie. It's a bit tough to gauge what the issue might be with just the photos. Can you post an audio or the link to the video so we can better understand what the problem is?

Hey Stephanie. It's a bit tough to gauge what the issue might be with just the photos. Can you post an audio or the link to the video so we can better understand what the problem is?

Well here's a link to my channel ! You can check the latest video to understand what i mean when i say it not working perfectly.
And the point of my photo is only to show what i am using.
Neewer NW-700 plugged in my power suply with an XLR to XLR.
Then an XLR cable to my mother board plugged with a 3.5mm (the black cable in the pink hole)

Sorry if i express myself wrong or anything im french canadian ^~^

No worries, you are expressing yourself right. And the photos are really helpful. I may be blind but I don't see a link. Can you send it again?

You've fallen foul of the forum rules which stop you posting links until you have a certain number of posts--I think it's 10--but I'll post some general comments as well.

First, yes an Audio Interface (as opposed to "sound card") will improve your quality. The built in sound on most computers is designed more for gaming and Skype calls than quality recording. Even a fairly cheap interface like the Alesis iO2 will give you a lot less background hiss and more headroom before you start to get distortion from clipping. It will also give another advantage you may not have thought of--it will allow you headphone monitoring with zero latency/delay.

However, the two biggies (I'm going to guess) are your microphone and the acoustics in your recording area.

I've never heard your Neewer mic but, from the price, it's very much at the bottom end of the market. That's not to say it can't sound okay but, at the same time, it's never going to compare to a thousand dollar broadcast mic.

Also, your choice of mic overlaps with the acoustics in your recording space. Admittedly you've only shown close ups but I don't see any acoustic treatment. The reason your mic choice overlaps with acoustics is that a condenser mic like you have picks up a lot more room noise than dynamic mics (but, in a well treated room they also have more detail and clarity).

For pure voice over use like Youtube, your easiest way to improve the acoustics is to put lots of soft stuff behind you and, if possible, on the wall behind the mic. Quilts or "movers' blankets" can help a lot, especially if you can position them a few inches away from the wall.

Had you asked in here before buying your gear, I'd probably have suggested an inexpensive Dynamic mic like a Sennheiser e835 and a basic interface like the Alesis I mentioned rather than the Neewer and the phantom supply. Even with these, you'd benefit from some "soft stuff" but even without you'd pick up a lot less room noise.

Once you can post a link to your work we can probably go into more detail.

And greetings to French Canada...I have a niece in Montreal!

I am pretty sure that mic is a variation of the BM-800 I had.

If so you need the XLR to stereo 3.5mm jack lead (supplied?) DIRECTLY into the computer mic input...OR, as Bobbsy has said, an XLR to XLR cable to a phantom power equipped interface.
At no point AFAICS do you need a separate spook juice box.

Dave.

You've fallen foul of the forum rules which stop you posting links until you have a certain number of posts--I think it's 10--but I'll post some general comments as well.

First, yes an Audio Interface (as opposed to "sound card") will improve your quality. The built in sound on most computers is designed more for gaming and Skype calls than quality recording. Even a fairly cheap interface like the Alesis iO2 will give you a lot less background hiss and more headroom before you start to get distortion from clipping. It will also give another advantage you may not have thought of--it will allow you headphone monitoring with zero latency/delay.

However, the two biggies (I'm going to guess) are your microphone and the acoustics in your recording area.

I've never heard your Neewer mic but, from the price, it's very much at the bottom end of the market. That's not to say it can't sound okay but, at the same time, it's never going to compare to a thousand dollar broadcast mic.

Also, your choice of mic overlaps with the acoustics in your recording space. Admittedly you've only shown close ups but I don't see any acoustic treatment. The reason your mic choice overlaps with acoustics is that a condenser mic like you have picks up a lot more room noise than dynamic mics (but, in a well treated room they also have more detail and clarity).

For pure voice over use like Youtube, your easiest way to improve the acoustics is to put lots of soft stuff behind you and, if possible, on the wall behind the mic. Quilts or "movers' blankets" can help a lot, especially if you can position them a few inches away from the wall.

Had you asked in here before buying your gear, I'd probably have suggested an inexpensive Dynamic mic like a Sennheiser e835 and a basic interface like the Alesis I mentioned rather than the Neewer and the phantom supply. Even with these, you'd benefit from some "soft stuff" but even without you'd pick up a lot less room noise.

Once you can post a link to your work we can probably go into more detail.

And greetings to French Canada...I have a niece in Montreal!

You can find me easily on youtube if you type : MaplerSince2006 or Deku Queen

Thanks for all the tips btw :)

Edit-
https://www.youtube.com/user/MaplerSince2006

Videos are showing up for me.
Your mic sounds fine.

If there's something specific you want, or your bro wants, to achieve do let us know but it sounds just like I'd expect it to.

I agree with Steen. For the purpose this sounds fine.

I am wondering what it is you are listening on. Those pink headphones? Those may be making you think your mic sounds bad... Just sayin...

Could be that links work for new members when viewed by mods before the 10 post limitation?? IDK. Re-posting seemed to work. :)

I've got all the videos first try as well and was pleasantly surprised with the quality--it's not too bad.

The one thing I'm getting is a slight hollow, echoey sound which is consistent with a condenser mic in an untreated room. However, even without treatment I can see an immediate way to improve things. You're sitting fairly distant from the mic and it's off beside you rather than directly in front of your mouth. Your mic is directional so the closest you can get to "in front of you" the better. I realise that your format requires you to see the screen and operate a keyboard but with a bit of experimentation you might find a compromise between functionality and sound quality. As per my previous post some soft stuff around the room would help as well.

Frankly the most bothersome thing wasn't the sound quality--it was the way you were a long way out of lip sync. This is almost certainly a function of you video capture software so it might be worth seeing if there are any tweaks you can make there or if there is better software available.

Yeah, mic position for this kind of thing is tricky but, in an untreated room, it makes all the difference.
I do a bit of gaming/teamspeaking/game capture too.

I mounted a small mic on top of my screen so it's not visible to the camera but it's directly in front of me
It's about 18" away and it sounds shit.
Keep in mind, this is a good mic into a great preamp and decent interface!
The room sucks, though.

I ended up getting a desktop tripod and just using an re20 in plain view.
The mic is pretty low down, about chest height, pointing up at about a 45 degree angle. More importantly, though, it's about 4-5" from my mouth.
It sounds way better.

Try different positions out for a closer/fuller sound if you're not happy but, really, yours isnt bad.

Processing is an option but, honestly, I think it's too much hassle to be worth it unless you're live streaming and have a decent following.
It's bit of a routing nightmare most of the time for live capture/streaming.

If you get to the stage where you really want to tweak and edit, you'd be better finding a way to capture game audio and mic audio separately,
(which most capture software will do), then just do the mixing and editing in some recording software (Reaper) after the fact.
That'd also give you the opportunity to sort out any sync issues too

I'm server admin and capture gameplay for server promotion, so that's what I do.
Teamspeak feed, voice feed, and game audio feed all captured separately. I use OBS for capture, if that's useful, edit video in whatever software, then mix the audio and combine the two in ProTools afterwards.

Last edited:
To me the sound quality wasn't bad at all for what you were doing.

I discovered why the videos were 'invisible'

The section for uploads 'appeared' to be blank. But there was a little "v" pull down icon I didn't notice on my tiny phone screen. :)

Usually on channel pages the videos aren't hidden.

So you have my apologies if my first comment seemed sarcastic.
:D

I use OBS for capture, if that's useful, edit video in whatever software, then mix the audio and combine the two in ProTools afterwards.

I have a thing called "Camtasia" for capture...it works very well but it's not free (somebody gives it to me).

Back