Mixing channels - Ideas

ChrisFromGreece

Hello.

Id like people to post their ideas and presets here, for creating good sounding stereo with left and right channels.

Whats your best position in left/right panning, whats your best effects?

Thank you.

PS
People who are not interested are not welcome to participate and will be reported for trolling. Thanks.

Here you can have a look at Cool Edit program, which allows you to mix channels and pan what recordings exist on the left and right speaker, wherever you want.
Which is your best position? Do you prefer a guitar to be far on the left, closer to the center, centered? Why do I notice that old 60's recordings have most organs far from center? Which are your tricks for panning a sound towards the center, without destroying its' wideness? Thanks.
11qmyxw.jpg

1/ I don't use presets

2/ you can only learn through your OWN experience, no-one becomes a master overnight.

3/ every single mix is different and needs a different approach.

In the 1960s they used a lot of LCR panning, because that's all the consoles did, the limitations forced them to get creative. Panning is a big part of mixing, often overlooked in my opinion, people think there are 'rules' but there really aren't, you just have to listen to some beatles to understand this, the most successful band of all time.

Last edited:
What Btyre said ^^ Every mix is different. I don't do the same thing with a song that has 2 acoustic guitars and a voice as a song with electric guitars, drums, keys and multiple voices.
When I am mixing a song that has a full 'band' of tracks, I tend to mix like I was watching the band play live in front of me, except that I always leave the bass centered.

I got it.

Lets say about something simple, a single track of guitar or two tracks(two guitars).

Do you think that when you have 2 different guitars the best way is to keep them separated as far as possible, for creating wide stereo?

My songs are in the style of 60s recording and mix.

I have one guitar on the left and the other on the right. I was thinking if I could move each guitar towards each other, instead of being fully separated. Someone told me that today's recordings have each organ sounding in both speakers/channels and that if a speaker gets damaged noone will here whats played there. So Id like to be updated in the modern method, I just dont want the wideness of sound to be lost.

Sometimes I'll automate the pan from an instrument's position in the stage' to present it's solo section differently.

I was thinking some of the live stuff on Wheels Of Fire would make a good 'case study;
'Bass left, guitar right- but not too far. (IIRC) 'Stereophonic' but still plenty of center content. 'How (which techniques) would be the question.

;>)

Per my dad, who was a tailor, the correct terminology is "do you dress to the left or the right". Not where do you put your organ. :)

Back to mixing and actually being 'helpful', lest I get reported again.........:)

A few good albums to listen to for 'stereo' when there's not too many instruments are;

1) Deep Purple Made in Japan
It has one guitar, one vocal, one bass, drums and an organ.

2) AC/DC Live at Atlantic studios.

This was originally a radio broadcast
You have the 2 guitars left and right, vocals, drums and bass.

3) Jimi Hendrix live at Winterland

Again live with guitar, bass, drums and vocals

All three show 'stereo' panning and fill up the soundstage nicely with minimal intruments

For an example of reverb being used for guitar, listen to;

Van Halen's first album

Guitar and bass are panned wide and the guitar's reverb fills up the empty side.

Those are some good examples in my opinion of placement of instruments in the stereo field.

Now if someone breaks one of your speakers and ruins your stereo.....make them buy you a new set! Problem solved!
:D

Shucks. Well I'm going to have to report you now for going off-topic and not being helpful.

I mean come on! What's pocket change have to do with mixing?

Shucks. Well I'm going to have to report you now for going off-topic and not being helpful.

I mean come on! What's pocket change have to do with mixing?

I frequently do mixing but never have pocket change.
Maybe there's a correlation?! :eek:

Back