Prince purple rain tributes

RFR

I've been seeing on the tube a bunch of "Tribute to Prince" covers of Purple Rain from absolute nobodies to Bruce Springsteen (which I thought was horrible, btw)
Some are really good, some are garbage.
However, it seems more like people are trying to cash in and self promote rather than pay tribute to an artist. It has amazed me how incredibly fast some of these have come out. No wasting time. Lets get our version out while it's a hot topic!

Pathetic.

What do you all think?

I've been seeing on the tube a bunch of "Tribute to Prince" covers of Purple Rain from absolute nobodies to Bruce Springsteen (which I thought was horrible, btw)
Some are really good, some are garbage.
However, it seems more like people are trying to cash in and self promote rather than pay tribute to an artist. It has amazed me how incredibly fast some of these have come out. No wasting time. Lets get our version out while it's a hot topic!

Pathetic.

What do you all think?

I agree. It's a race to mourn, and out-mourn each other. This rash of famous deaths these past few months is a feeding ground for attention whores. It's the social media generation. You have to be first the fastest, or out-do the guy before you.

I agree. It's a race to mourn, and out-mourn each other. This rash of famous deaths these past few months is a feeding ground for attention whores. It's the social media generation. You have to be first the fastest, or out-do the guy before you.

When Princess Diana was killed, there was a similar public outpouring of "grief". You had to be seen to be queuing for miles to sign the Big Book of "Look at me, I'm inconsolable in my grief" Condolences. It really got my goat. I wanted to go to London and queue for hours just to draw a big cock on the page. I fear that would have got me an all-too-brief stay in the Tower of London.

When Princess Diana was killed, there was a similar public outpouring of "grief". You had to be seen to be queuing for miles to sign the Big Book of "Look at me, I'm inconsolable in my grief" Condolences. It really got my goat. I wanted to go to London and queue for hours just to draw a big cock on the page. I fear that would have got me an all-too-brief stay in the Tower of London.

I struggle to understand why anyone gives a fuck about your royal family people. It's even more confusing as to why anyone over here gives a fuck about your royal family people. I remember when she died, I was eating dinner out somewhere, and my waitress told me she had just died. I think my response was something like "bring me some more bread please". I felt some sympathy for her kids because she was at the most basic level a mother that got chased to death, but beyond that brief thought I got over it really fast.

But at least your royals have centuries of tradition on their side. Our "royal family" is currently famous for liking sleazy black dudes, having huge asses, and the dad is now a shemale.

rQLwY3Y.jpg

Fake grief, prince thing. Don't think you can really comment on everyone as a group. Taking Prince as an example, I'm sure some musicians genuinely found Prince inspirational and wanted to record a tribute - fair enough - Hey, I knocked together a quick Motorhead cover when Philthy Animal died (and finished it when Lemmy died) If I was capable I might have done a Bowie too, but I'm not.

That said, I also agree that lots of the people are trying to collectively out-grieve each-other which really fucking boils my piss. Others, which are even worse, are using it purely for self-promotion.

On the collective grief thing - I remember when Diana died too - I think I was about 17. I woke up and I had a brutal hangover and I could hear my grandmother crying downstairs, the news was on going on about some sort of tragedy, I could hear my parents talking loudly about some bastards or other... my first thought was "Oh, fuck, something really bad has happened, maybe someone has dropped an atom bomb or something" When they told me what had happened when I got downstairs I was like "Shit, that's a relief, I thought it was something really serious" They gave me a right bollocking.

It was the same when fucking Thatcher died. At least 50% of the population thought she was a ****. My dad went to her fucking funeral - he loved her. And we're from an area that was fucking decimated by her policies.

Last edited:

I can certainly remember where I was, same as with John Lennon and the (alleged :laughings:) moon landing, but I don't recall feeling particularly sad. There was some gnashing and rending from the womenfolk. And maybe I can just remember where I was because I wasn't in Sydney but Canberra, and I wasn't there often. Not to disparage the dead, but I never got that people raved over her great beauty. Pretty plain to me (sorry Diana - you can beat me up in hell/heaven... :) )

Maybe a bit off topic...

Wanted to post this when the news broke, couldn't find it. Seems things have relaxed a bit, vids are more available now. I'm sure it's not everyone's cup, but it's somewhat humorous, and pretty damn good, imo. Guy was fairly proficient on acoustic interpretation of otherwise more highly produced numbers. Mic stand mounted to stool is pretty cool. Not exactly campfire, forewarned.

Prince was a better musician than everyone on this site, combined. Probably a better studio engineer, too. They don't make em like that anymore.

Back