The New Tone Thread

I'm probably almost 30 years late, but I've only recently, like in the last year or so, really started digging Nirvana. I can't stop listening to "In Bloom".

Never got into Pearl Jam. And I always found it strange that they were called a "Grunge" band. Their stuff has long guitar solos, and pretty much all the other stuff that standard corporate rock has. I didn't hear anything "Grungy" about them. Maybe what you wear decides how you're perceived or something?

Soundgarden has about 3 tunes that I kind of like. I love "Feel on Black days". But again, it's just rock. Nothing more, nothing less to me.

AIC has some pretty cool arrangements and songs, but I just never got into them. But them too, it's just hard rock to me. Even if we just go by looks. They had the long hair that would fly around with the neck snapping.

Out of all those bands, the only one I would call "Grunge", "American punk" or whatever, is Nirvana.

haha, I know - Greg can't resist dissing the grunge! I think he gives it grudging respect for killing off sales of Spandex though.

That is true. I liked the quirkier 90s grunge stuff. I was prime age for that time period, and it did not resonate with me because it was just a re-hash of the first wave punk and noise stuff that had already happened. I welcomed the death of spandex and hairspray, but it was bittersweet because the new music wasn't any more exciting. It's hard to give a fuck about a scripted pretty boy band like Nirvana when you'd already been listening to that kind of stuff for 15 years. Put the Pixies and Sonic Youth into a blender, and out comes Nirvana. Husker Du was Nirvana before anything smelled like teen spirit. I just didn't buy their act.

I'm probably almost 30 years late, but I've only recently, like in the last year or so, really started digging Nirvana. .
RAMI - the best Nirvana stuff is on In Utero. Trying listening to Milk it or Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.

Similarly with Soundgarden - Try listening to Mailman, Limo Wreck or Fresh Tendrils - that's the really dark grungy stuff.

Never got into Pearl Jam. And I always found it strange that they were called a "Grunge" band. Their stuff has long guitar solos, and pretty much all the other stuff that standard corporate rock has.
Again, that's probably just their first album, Ten. That had very corporate rock 80s production. Their later stuff was generally punkier. Try Last Exit or Comatose.

RAMI - the best Nirvana stuff is on In Utero. Trying listening to Milk it or Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.

I probably listen to all those with out knowing it. I usually just go to Youtube, click on a band's song, and then hit the 50 song playlist that's right beside it. So, I'm listen to all kinds of tunes from a band, in this case Nirvana, without knowing what song is from what album.

Again, that's probably just their first album, Ten. That had very corporate rock 80s production. Their later stuff was generally punkier. Try Last Exit or Comatose.

Cool. Yeah, I think it's mostly their earlier stuff that I'm familiar with. Jeremy's Crying or whatever and all that shit. Some of their stuff puts me to fucking sleep, though, like "Better Man". I really don't like Eddie Vetter's voice, so I'd probably have trouble liking much of their stuff no matter how good it is.

Eddie Vedder was very good friends with Johnny Ramone though, so there had to be something worthwhile about the guy. Johnny Ramone didn't like many people.

Cool. Yeah, I think it's mostly their earlier stuff that I'm familiar with. Jeremy's Crying or whatever and all that shit. Some of their stuff puts me to fucking sleep, though, like "Better Man". I really don't like Eddie Vetter's voice, so I'd probably have trouble liking much of their stuff no matter how good it is.

Yeah, when people think of Pearl Jam, they think of Jeremy and Alive. They're among Pearl Jam's best known but worst songs!

I didn't get into the grunge thing when it was happening......fuck, when it was happening, I didn't know about it, it takes at least 10 years for something to hit these here parts (....says minerman, speaking in an even deeper, hick-ish hillbilly voice)....
:laughings:

Ok, Gerg, I'm still looking at options for the next gear purchase after the Chupa comes back home, looking at Ceriatone's USA site, a 50w JCM800 clone is around $1,000 with free shipping....Opinions???

Ceriatone 2204 Clone

(The price shown is just the amp, no tubes or headshell, scroll down to "Amp Head II" is what I'd be after)...

For me the pro/con thing:

Pro: It's brand fuckin' new, hand-built & I wouldn't have to worry about the caps/other shit going bad, or if it's all original or whatnot...

Con: It's not a real Marshall is the only thing I could think about negatively, & really, that's thinking long/hard for me...

Ok here's a little snippet from a recent jam I did with a buddy. You can hear a little bit of drums in there since this was a live thing, but oh well. Just a little compression and a small bump at about 1K with eq. I have tried a few things to get better sounds on recordings but have found it to be more difficult than anticipated. This, to me, is much harder than getting decent drum sounds. Guitar is an LP going into a Blackstar HT-20 head into an orange cab with a V30 and a Marshall cab with some sort of 12" Celestion. Only the Orange cab is miked with an e609 half way between the center and edge of the speaker. Maybe I should play around with miking both cabs and blending I bit. The sound in the room is pretty loud and much better sounding than I can get on my recordings. I feel like this is boxy.

Attachments

• guit solod.mp3
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
I didn't get into the grunge thing when it was happening......fuck, when it was happening, I didn't know about it, it takes at least 10 years for something to hit these here parts (....says minerman, speaking in an even deeper, hick-ish hillbilly voice)....

Ok, Gerg, I'm still looking at options for the next gear purchase after the Chupa comes back home, looking at Ceriatone's USA site, a 50w JCM800 clone is around $1,000 with free shipping....Opinions???

Ceriatone 2204 Clone

(The price shown is just the amp, no tubes or headshell, scroll down to "Amp Head II" is what I'd be after)...

Pro: It's brand fuckin' new, hand-built & I wouldn't have to worry about the caps/other shit going bad, or if it's all original or whatnot...

Con: It's not a real Marshall is the only thing I could think about negatively, & really, that's thinking long/hard for me...

Miner, that amp looks fucking great, its a good price! I like the way you're always thinking one more purchase ahead! So you have something to look forward to when you buy something.

Ok here's a little snippet from a recent jam I did with a buddy. You can hear a little bit of drums in there since this was a live thing, but oh well. Just a little compression and a small bump at about 1K with eq. I have tried a few things to get better sounds on recordings but have found it to be more difficult than anticipated. This, to me, is much harder than getting decent drum sounds. Guitar is an LP going into a Blackstar HT-20 head into an orange cab with a V30 and a Marshall cab with some sort of 12" Celestion. Only the Orange cab is miked with an e609 half way between the center and edge of the speaker. Maybe I should play around with miking both cabs and blending I bit. The sound in the room is pretty loud and much better sounding than I can get on my recordings. I feel like this is boxy.

See, I quite like the sound of that. It does sound a little bit boxy but I think the main thing with it is that its quite dark. I have the same amp and speaker as you too. Although you have a better cab. I found I had to knock back the bass and mid quite a long way and push the treble up quite a lot to get close to what I was looking for. I don't mind dark though and it could really suit the sound you are going for.

Ceriatone 2204 Clone

Here are two problems with it:

Two Channels / 4 Inputs (High / Low for each channel)
Power: 50 watts
2 x EL34, 3 x 12AX7
1/2 Power Switch Standard
TAD Mustard Caps Standard

The 2204 does not have 2 channels, or 4 inputs, and they definitely do not have 1/2 power switches.

See, I quite like the sound of that. It does sound a little bit boxy but I think the main thing with it is that its quite dark. I have the same amp and speaker as you too. Although you have a better cab. I found I had to knock back the bass and mid quite a long way and push the treble up quite a lot to get close to what I was looking for. I don't mind dark though and it could really suit the sound you are going for.

Thanks man, I like the dark tone as well and am going for that. It seems in the room there is a bit more clarity, not by too much though. I used to have the gain a bit higher but learned to roll that back. Here is a pic of my current Settings:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Here are two problems with it:

Two Channels / 4 Inputs (High / Low for each channel)
Power: 50 watts
2 x EL34, 3 x 12AX7
1/2 Power Switch Standard
TAD Mustard Caps Standard

The 2204 does not have 2 channels, or 4 inputs, and they definitely do not have 1/2 power switches.

Not sure, but I think the 4 input thing is a typo dude...And on the 1/2 power switch, I'm sure I could get by without it, maybe even have 'em leave it off....Surely they wouldn't charge extra for taking something out of the fuckin' thing???

Liv: Tone is a little boxy & dark to me dude....

Thanks man, I like the dark tone as well and am going for that. It seems in the room there is a bit more clarity, not by too much though. I used to have the gain a bit higher but learned to roll that back. Here is a pic of my current Settings:

I'm the same with the volume and Gain too. Although my gain is normally set a touch higher and my volume a touch lower. I would try knocking a load of the mid out of that. Don't worry about it sounding Dimebag scoopy. It won't. From what I've learned about dialing this fucker in is that there's loads of mid in the treble. It really is a dark amp.

Miner, that amp looks fucking great, its a good price! I like the way you're always thinking one more purchase ahead! So you have something to look forward to when you buy something.

I'm still debating Jdude, & this purchase will be a couple months down the road at least...I'm gonna have an attenuator waiting here before I ever pull the trigger on the next amp, which may be a clone, & may not be...I'm just trying to get all the opinions I can beforehand dude....

Not sure, but I think the 4 input thing is a typo dude...And on the 1/2 power switch, I'm sure I could get by without it, maybe even have 'em leave it off....Surely they wouldn't charge extra for taking something out of the fuckin' thing???
If you want a 2204, make sure it's the way it's supposed to be. The four inputs may be a typo, but make sure. A 2204 has two inputs - high and low. The half power switch is not native to 2204s, so adding one, even if it goes unused, is just one more thing in the signal path that shouldn't be there. Would it be a problem? Probably not, but if it doesn't need to be there, why have it there?

Back