Flat singing still?

DeniSings

I was told on the forums that my singing is flat at times, so I wanna get more feedback from you people.. I can still hear that I'm flat at times, but still wanna hear your opinions since I can't really judge my voice accurately.. Thanks in advance for your opinions :)

iris Recording | Smule

P.S. If you can't judge by this song only, feel free to check out my other covers and see if there are some songs where I sound less flat or better in general..

I am afraid to give my opinion because it will not be nice.

I suggest that you purchase some pitch correction software. Use it to correct the pitch to absolute note values of your vocals. Then sing along with it while you track. Not only will it give you exactly the points of where your notes are off, but it will be easier for you to sing with.

I use this method often when singers have limited experience or issues with pitch and need to get projects recorded quick.

Better than that would be to get some lessons and work on your pitch control. It is not good from what I heard. In fact it was almost consistently flat all the time. Both the male and female vocals. Sorry for the honesty, but you asked.

It's cool dude, I wanted an honest opinion, btw, I'm the guy in the song, I don't know who the girl is.. Can you maybe try to listen to other songs and tell me which ones have better control? I mean, if I plan on singing, I will probably have to stay in certain genres that suit me better..
Thanks for your opinion, I aprecciate honesty

I need to know what songs sound better when I sing them and what songs generally don't.. I know it has a lot to do with bitch, but I also wanna know is my voice decent atleast when I'm not singing flat, so I could know if there is a point in even trying to fix technical things

It's cool dude, I wanted an honest opinion, btw, I'm the guy in the song, I don't know who the girl is.. Can you maybe try to listen to other songs and tell me which ones have better control? I mean, if I plan on singing, I will probably have to stay in certain genres that suit me better..
Thanks for your opinion, I aprecciate honesty

Man, no offense but no. Only you can decide what is right for you.

You need to learn control of your voice and most importantly the ability to hear pitch. A different genre won't help. Pitch is pitch man.

Again, just being honest with you. Not trying to break you down bro.

I can definitely hear that my pitch is off at some parts, I just don't know how to fix it properly, don't know in which direction I should go since I'm kinda new with this technical stuff, I didn't even hear about "flat" singing before I came to this forum because I wasn't actually singing that much, I sang when I was younger but then I stopped.. And yeah, one more question, do you think it has anything to do with let's call it "confidence" in singing and worrying that someone can hear me so I don't sing very loud and when I try to sing louder so I could hit the right notes at some parts I lower my voice.. btw, I do know that not all songs are "loud" and it shouldn't be that, but I'm wondering because I heard it somewhere.. again, I'm not a professional so I don't know

In fact it was almost consistently flat all the time

I'll agree with this but, believe it or not, "consistently" is a good thing.
You're moving by, more or less, the right intervals for the most part which says you can hear and understand pitch to some extent.
There's debate but my opinion has always been that you can't learn this if you don't have it.
You can certainly improve it if you do, though.

What you need to do is improve that skill probably on a more focussed level. If you can play a scale on an instrument - preferably piano, and sing the notes as you go, that'd be good.
Would you be able to hear if you weren't quite perfect on a note and adjust accordingly?
IDK, stuff like that regularly might improve your awareness.

I can definitely hear that my pitch is off at some parts, I just don't know how to fix it properly, don't know in which direction I should go since I'm kinda new with this technical stuff, I didn't even hear about "flat" singing before I came to this forum because I wasn't actually singing that much, I sang when I was younger but then I stopped.. And yeah, one more question, do you think it has anything to do with let's call it "confidence" in singing and worrying that someone can hear me so I don't sing very loud and when I try to sing louder so I could hit the right notes at some parts I lower my voice.. btw, I do know that not all songs are "loud" and it shouldn't be that, but I'm wondering because I heard it somewhere.. again, I'm not a professional so I don't know

Confidence is definitely something that has to do with your pitch. That is where lessons will come into play.

If you are not confident in hitting a note then you won't hit it. Though you can be confident and still not hit a note because you do not know how to. Again, that involves learning your instrument.

Best to you man. I am not the one to help from this point but I gave my honest opinion and have seen others improve by taking lessons.

Do whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable with you. :)

Interesting advice, the one about the piano, I don't have a piano, but I have garage band on my phone and there's a piano there so I will have to try that.. I think I would be able to hear when I'm not on pitch with the piano trick.. btw, one more problem I have, I assume I'm not the only one.. I have like two types of voice, one is easier to sing with so I regularly sing with that one, and the other one in my opinion sounds better, but my voice cracks when I try to hit higher notes.. Although, I think the first one I'm talking about is lower and the other one is a bit more high pitched, and since I can't sing falsetto (I think atleast, haven't really tried) that's why my voice cracks probably, but I think that when I learn to control that tone of voice it will sound much better.

I'll agree with this but, believe it or not, "consistently" is a good thing.
You're moving by, more or less, the right intervals for the most part which says you can hear and understand pitch to some extent.
There's debate but my opinion has always been that you can't learn this if you don't have it.
You can certainly improve it if you do, though.

What you need to do is improve that skill probably on a more focussed level. If you can play a scale on an instrument - preferably piano, and sing the notes as you go, that'd be good.
Would you be able to hear if you weren't quite perfect on a note and adjust accordingly?
IDK, stuff like that regularly might improve your awareness.

Interesting advice, the one about the piano, I don't have a piano, but I have garage band on my phone and there's a piano there so I will have to try that.. I think I would be able to hear when I'm not on pitch with the piano trick.. btw, one more problem I have, I assume I'm not the only one.. I have like two types of voice, one is easier to sing with so I regularly sing with that one, and the other one in my opinion sounds better, but my voice cracks when I try to hit higher notes.. Although, I think the first one I'm talking about is lower and the other one is a bit more high pitched, and since I can't sing falsetto (I think atleast, haven't really tried) that's why my voice cracks probably, but I think that when I learn to control that tone of voice it will sound much better.

You're most likely talking about falsetto vs 'normal' but I'd have to hear to be sure.
Another massive part of sounding good is enjoying it. It sounds like a feel-good-cliché but it's true.
In the least insulting way, you sound like you're either bored or annoyed..like, I can almost feel that your eyebrows are as far down as they can go. lol.

I have a guy who sings here and I regularly tell him to raise his eyebrows because he holds pitch and sounds better when he does.
He looks like a dick but it's a recording...Who cares? :p

Confidence is definitely something that has to do with your pitch. That is where lessons will come into play.

If you are not confident in hitting a note then you won't hit it. Though you can be confident and still not hit a note because you do not know how to. Again, that involves learning your instrument.

Best to you man. I am not the one to help from this point but I gave my honest opinion and have seen others improve by taking lessons.

Do whatever it takes to make you feel comfortable with you. :)

Okay dude, that is what I was wondering, and I definitely aprecciate your honest opinion.. what I don't aprecciate is when people tell me that I'm a great singer and don't leave me some space to improve.. Thanks :)

You're most likely talking about falsetto vs 'normal' but I'd have to hear to be sure.
Another massive part of sounding good is enjoying it. It sounds like a feel-good-cliché but it's true.
In the least insulting way, you sound like you're either bored or annoyed..like, I can almost feel that your eyebrows are as far down as they can go. lol.

I have a guy who sings here and I regularly tell him to raise his eyebrows because he holds pitch and sounds better when he does.
He looks like a dick but it's a recording...Who cares? :p

Hahaha, I get you dude, but I'm not bored when singing, I'm careful, as I was recording this song I was looking out my bathroom windows to see if someone is coming, I'm really paranoid about my singing because not even members of my family have heard me sing full songs for years.. I will definitely try the eyebrow trick though hahah :D

Hahaha, I get you dude, but I'm not bored when singing, I'm careful, as I was recording this song I was looking out my bathroom windows to see if someone is coming, I'm really paranoid about my singing because not even members of my family have heard me sing full songs for years.. I will definitely try the eyebrow trick though hahah :D

I understand man. I've been there.
I do a lot of backing vocals and I'm not bad but I still hate the idea that someone might walk in or hear me from another room.
heh..It's ridiculous but it's built in with a lot of people.

Try to get some quiet time and relax. Be confident in what you're doing.
Sure...You won't be amazing over night but enjoy it and try to do something focussed and productive like singing scales or arpeggios.
Maybe even record yourself doing those so you can listen back and realise how good or bad it was.

I understand man. I've been there.
I do a lot of backing vocals and I'm not bad but I still hate the idea that someone might walk in or hear me from another room.
heh..It's ridiculous but it's built in with a lot of people.

Try to get some quiet time and relax. Be confident in what you're doing.
Sure...You won't be amazing over night but enjoy it and try to do something focussed and productive like singing scales or arpeggios.
Maybe even record yourself doing those so you can listen back and realise how good or bad it was.

I'll have to Google what arpeggios are first but thanks for the advice haha .. I will also try to fix my pitch and/or flat singing by putting sheets of paper or something in front of my ears so the sound circles around the room if you've ever heard of that, it's pretty interesting, similar to singing into a microphone, kinda echo-i.. You can hear the voice the way it actually sounds that way haha

Hey Deni.

I did a quick google of voice training apps...This one looks like it would help you and it's free...In this day and age there's probably a 100 of em out there to help you get dialed in...

And it can be done privately and won't BS you...you are either on you're not.

Hey Deni.

I did a quick google of voice training apps...This one looks like it would help you and it's free...In this day and age there's probably a 100 of em out there to help you get dialed in...

And it can be done privately and won't BS you...you are either on you're not.

Oh, nice! Thanks :D

Times have become much easier with internet haha :D

I know I've said this many times here in this area of the forum...........and I guess I'm going to say it again................and certainly no personal offense to the OP.............but if you cannot hear for yourself (on playback) that you are flat or sharp or without timing.........etc.........you are lost until you get some proper help..........whatever that may be. If the OP plays any note on a keyboard and tries to sing that very same note........records it and then plays it back.................and still cannot hear if he is off...........well then..........professional help is needed. I know when I'm vocally flat or sharp or terrible in some other way. I think STEEN is correct when he more or less says.........you either have it or you don't in terms of your sense of pitch.

I know I've said this many times here in this area of the forum...........and I guess I'm going to say it again................and certainly no personal offense to the OP.............but if you cannot hear for yourself (on playback) that you are flat or sharp or without timing.........etc.........you are lost until you get some proper help..........whatever that may be. If the OP plays any note on a keyboard and tries to sing that very same note........records it and then plays it back.................and still cannot hear if he is off...........well then..........professional help is needed. I know when I'm vocally flat or sharp or terrible in some other way. I think STEEN is correct when he more or less says.........you either have it or you don't in terms of your sense of pitch.

Hi Mick,
I don't follow through with the "if not" scenario but your post summarises by belief.
I've had people who could hear that a certain note was flat or sharp (slightly) but could hear a difference when I pitch corrected it.
One guy in particular was a decent singer but wouldn't be able to hear that very short joining syllables just weren't on any particular pitch.
After a good while working with the guy he can so I'm confident that the skill can be honed but it has to be there to some extent first.

Deni, do you know anyone who has a good ear and could spend half an hour a week with you? Even just doing the piano thing...Hit a note, sing it, listen to the guy tell you if it was good/bad/otherwise?
It may help a lot.

Hell, you could do it on Skype these days!

I suggest that you purchase some pitch correction software. Use it to correct the pitch to absolute note values of your vocals. Then sing along with it while you track. Not only will it give you exactly the points of where your notes are off, but it will be easier for you to sing with.
I do this sometimes. ReaTune is included in Reaper and it works really well - Also, if I know what I want to sing, I pull up a tuner on the screen and aim for that to practice. I'm a shite singer.

Back