New song - "People in the Seventies"

famous beagle

Curious to hear any thoughts on this one.

Thanks for the listen!

Attachments

• 06 People in the Seventies.mp3
    6.5 MB · Views: 73
It's loud enough, the opening sounds are lovely and the rest just follows.

Nice work.

String squeak? You really wanna deal with stuff at that level? I wouldn't.

Balance is excellent, sound ditto.

Really cool song. Feels like it could come from the 70's but yet still modern. Everything sounds pretty good. Only crit would be a personal one....I think the floor toms have a little too much low end. Other than that, sounds reallr good man.

Wee bit of sibilance was all I could find - cool effects and chording/arpeggios, great vocals and a well told story.
So if you're 43 that would make you born in 72? How do you know all those intricate details? lol
And I was too poor to afford a trans am but I did have a pimply faced friend who bought a new ugly brown one with his after school job money to try and get chicks.

The lyric is very well done. It not only tells the story, but sound good doing it.
Very nice mix. No nits.

Dobro: Thanks for the listen! I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying regarding string squeak. I hadn't noticed it before; are you hearing a bunch of it somewhere?

Bruthish: I appreciate it. I tend to agree with you on the toms. Thanks!

ido1957: Ha! Yep, 43. I'm a nostalgic SOB, and I have many vivid memories of the 70s. Obviously, most of them are from the latter part of it, but I've often gone through all the family photos from that time and have always been struck by the colors and fashion of the era. Thanks for the kind listen and the kind words. Did your friend get some chicks with his TA, or was it all for not? :)

Broken: Thanks much, I appreciate it!

really good song, just listening on my new mono avantone mixcube, great balance in the mix, can hear everything clearly

Nice Leslie effect, and you ditch it right at the right time as the 1st verse starts. Nice instrumentation, keeps it interesting. What drums are on this? I like them a lot. Maybe too much toms in the mix once they're hit with sticks. The mallet parts sound great to me though. Could use a little less pedal hihat in the quieter parts.

Vocals sound great to me. You sound a little like Ben Gibbard at times in this one.

Really a great song once again. You're Fannie Mae's biggest star! :D

I like it. It's well balanced sonically, and has some beautiful moments, expressively. The intro could be shorter.

Bytre2013: Thanks much! That's good to hear regarding the Avantone; I just got a pair of those myself, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Tadpui: I appreciate the comments. My wife tells me I sometimes remind her of Ben Gibbard as well. To be honest, I can't remember exactly what the drummer played, but I'm 95% it was a custom-made kit that was pretty nice. He had some money, so he had some pretty nice stuff.

XLR: Thanks much! The song actually used to have a shorter intro, but a few people said it was too short, so I added a few bars to it. Maybe I went too far. :)

Dobro: Thanks for the listen! I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying regarding string squeak. I hadn't noticed it before; are you hearing a bunch of it somewhere?

Sounded like it to me at first - like a cricket chirp. But on a second listen, I don't think so. What is it? Claves?

0.24 0.46 1.13 3.14 3.45

It's sporadic - that's why I thought it was string squeak. What is it?

Really really like the song. This is great stuff.

Sounded like it to me at first - like a cricket chirp. But on a second listen, I don't think so. What is it? Claves?

0.24 0.46 1.13 3.14 3.45

It's sporadic - that's why I thought it was string squeak. What is it?

Really really like the song. This is great stuff.

Oh, yeah I hear it now that you pointed it out. I think it is string squeak on the electric guitar in the left channel. I never probably would have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out! :) Thanks!

I notice a little sibilance, but I think its because the vocal is very hi-EQed, if you take a little of the 3K-5K out of it, it would probably go away. The lowest tom is a little boomy. That's all I can nit-pick. Good stuff.

I thought it sounded really good.

Heard a little something weird in the vocal around 1:21 or so. Almost sounded like an "autotune inflection". On the word "fly". Probably just something natural.

If it were me, I'd dry up the vocal just a bit.

Sounds were all real good and well balanced.

Heard a very small pop around 2:48. Not the same thing dobro is talking about.

I notice a little sibilance, but I think its because the vocal is very hi-EQed, if you take a little of the 3K-5K out of it, it would probably go away. The lowest tom is a little boomy. That's all I can nit-pick. Good stuff.

Thanks for the listen and the comments! I tend to agree about the tom, but the drummer likes them. :)

Heard a little something weird in the vocal around 1:21 or so. Almost sounded like an "autotune inflection". On the word "fly". Probably just something natural.

Thank you for the comments. There was definitely no autotune on this one; that's just my lack of vocal ability to make that little run on "fly" sound as smooth as it should. :)

I listened for a pop at 2:48 but couldn't hear what you were talking about. Maybe I'd need to listen on the phones? Where is it in the stereo field?

Thanks

I thought it was the melody.

You could. Or leave it the way it is. Works either way.

There's something, but it might just be stray pick noise or something.

I think this song is fantastic. One great line after another. I think my favorite is "they get around in boxy cars, and take cocain in disco bars".
Killer line IMO.

The performances are tight and all the tones are beautiful. The arrangement is really well done and the mix is very good. I don't have any nits at all and I enjoyed the listen!

I think this song is fantastic. One great line after another. I think my favorite is "they get around in boxy cars, and take cocain in disco bars".
Killer line IMO.

The performances are tight and all the tones are beautiful. The arrangement is really well done and the mix is very good. I don't have any nits at all and I enjoyed the listen!

Hey thanks very much! I appreciate it. :)

I like the timbre of the toms. One of them almost sounds like a timpani.
Regarding the mix, it's good and balanced. The only thing i find a bit distracting is the drums move around when listening in headphones. It almost sounds like surround sound.

This song reminds me of "late for the sky" era Jackson Browne in terms of arrangements, timbres, and even the somber feel.

Back