• They equally suck....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
R

RAMI

EDIT:

Here is the final version (for now)

KNOCK ME DOWN

OK, forget the poll, and forget the 2 attachments directly below this sentence. It sucks that we can't edit or delete attachments, but anyway, ignore these. The tune is above.

Attachments

• Knock Me Down (wah).mp3
    9.3 MB · Views: 29
  • Knock Me Down (no wah).mp3
    9.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
First thoughts in my mind - sounds like it was influenced by early 90's proto-grunge rock, like the music you would have heard on the Waynes World sound-track, Aerosmith, Ugly Kid Joe type thing etc etc. Since you're talking about what you're talking about the vocals should be forced more no? Closer, more angry? Sounds like the message could use that support. Some kind of boost on the vocal microphone. The drums to my ears sound a little cheesie, but they are in the right tuning, although the bass drum has a sort of lifelessness to it I can't cope with. The drums just sound a little artificial I dunno. I would just throw an older Yamaha/Tama kit in there, try to tune the snare very tight and throw some reverb on the snare to wetten it up a bit. In fact, the whole thing could use some wettening up. This is certainly my kind of music though, driving down the road in 1992-1994, music sounded a lot more like this and I'm sure if it were on the radio then I'd of loved it. The tempo would have been upped a little, performance a little more raw.

The drums to my ears sound a little cheesie. I would just through a real kit in there, try to tune the snare very tight and throw some reverb on the snare to wetten it up a bit. In fact, the whole thing could use some wettening up
That is a real kit. I play everything on this. No fake instruments in any of my music.

I don't think it needs more wettening. I've heard your mixes. They drown in wetness. It might work for you, but it's not my cup of tea. But I appreciate that you took the time to post.

I do agree that the vocals can be more aggressive, though. I wrote this in a key that doesn't allow me to belt it out. I should have written it a tone higher.

No wah for me. The wah version lacks the meat of the tone. Drums sound good to me - you're getting that snare back!

No wah for me. The wah version lacks the meat of the tone.

OK, that's good to know. I'll take a consensus on this because I actualy like both for different reasons, but I'm not married to the Wah. It was a last minute idea.

Drums sound good to me - you're getting that snare back!
Great, thanx. :)

yeah I just think that's what digital does to drums. I just listened to it again and the drums do have a "samply" artificial sound to them I just don't like. What kills me is if the drums were going for more of a natural "siamese dream" type sound the song would be a winner for me. But please know I'm not comparing your mix or any mix here to what I'd like to do these days in my personal stuff, but say compare it to what drums/reverb/mixes sounded like circa 1988-1994 which is the style this song sounded like to my ears.

yeah I just think that's what digital does to drums. I just listened to it again and the drums do have a "samply" artificial sound to them I just don't like. What kills me is if the drums were going for more of a natural "siamese dream" type sound the song would be a winner for me. But please know I'm not comparing your mix or any mix here to what I'd like to do these days in my personal stuff, but say compare it to what drums/reverb/mixes sounded like circa 1988-1994 which is the style this song sounded like to my ears.
Thanx. I respect everyone's opinion no matter how un-informed, wrong and mis-guided it might be. :cool:

Actually I went back and listened to some 90s stuff. The drum sound I had in mind for a song like yours here would be the one on alice in chains "no excuses". Drums used to sound like that a lot more. Drums on siamese dream were too "fat".....this song you wrote seems to call for a more angular drum sound like on "No excuses" just for example. When I compared your bass drum sound to the "no excuses" bass drum I found yours to be much deeper actually! Maybe that's what I'm not liking, too deep of a bass drum sound. Too dry of a snare sound, but the right tuning in terms of being tight.

I think you're asking one of those questions that makes you crazy with indecision. I'm good with both guitar sounds. (Keep in mind too that I *love* wah guitars.)

If you decide to re-do the vocal (I don't want you to, but you know what you're like...lol) I'd suggest a different phrasing on 'pedestal'. Instead of ped...estal, try pede...stal. That way, you can sound more like me. :laughings::laughings:

Good tune. You just chug 'em out.

I think you're asking one of those questions that makes you crazy with indecision. I'm good with both guitar sounds. (Keep in mind too that I *love* wah guitars.)

If you decide to re-do the vocal (I don't want you to, but you know what you're like...lol) I'd suggest a different phrasing on 'pedestal'. Instead of ped...estal, try pede...stal. That way, you can sound more like me. :laughings::laughings:

Good tune. You just chug 'em out.
Thanx a lot Dobro. I'm with you on the guitars. Can't decide.

I actually sing "pedestal" a little differently on the last chorus. There were so many options on the phrasing because there's so much room for that word. Lol, you're correct about how I am. I'll probably go back and try to get a better vocal take out of this. :)

Last edited:
These postings remind me of the old joke. How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?? 21. One guy to change the bulb and 20 in the front row thinking about how they could do it better.:D

Personally, I like the wah, but I like it without the wah too. Maybe do both?? Double track one with and one without.
:guitar:

These postings remind me of the old joke. How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?? 21. One guy to change the bulb and 20 in the front row thinking about how they could do it better.:D

Personally, I like the wah, but I like it without the wah too. Maybe do both?? Double track one with and one without.
:guitar:
OK, I'm starting to like the pattern here. Basically, I don't think there's a wrong decision. I might go with the Wah just to have a change in sound from my other songs. But I agree with Johny about the balls in the non-wah version. There's no rush to decide, so I'll see what as many people as possible think. I actually did double track the guitar. On the left, there's a non-wah guitar doubling the guitar on the right.

Thanx R.

OK, I'm starting to like the pattern here. Basically, I don't think there's a wrong decision. I might go with the Wah just to have a change in sound from my other songs. But I agree with Johny about the balls in the non-wah version. There's no rush to decide, so I'll see what as many people as possible think. I actually did double track the guitar. On the left, there's a non-wah guitar doubling the guitar on the right.

Thanx R.

I listened on my laptop, so there is probably a lot I didn't hear. Hey forgive me. I'm still in my robe drinking coffee and waking up. It's Sunday fer fucks sake!

Anyhow...... Yes, there is the balls of the no wah version. I've done stuff before where there was that, but with a wah with some delay mixed back a bit. The balls is there but there is that little extra spice in the mix. Sometimes the best effects are the ones you really don't notice. Subtle stuff.

I'm sure you'll play around with it and find what you are real happy with....

I listened on my laptop, so there is probably a lot I didn't hear. Hey forgive me. I'm still in my robe drinking coffee and waking up. It's Sunday fer fucks sake!
I hear thee. :)

I'm sure you'll play around with it and find what you are real happy with....
Well, you're probably half right. I'll play around with it, but I'll probably never be happy with it. :D

Yeah, just for the intro. It's not really an original idea but it's effective.

Like those recordings where the intro guitar is HPF'd to like 300Hz and then the HPF gets turned off when the whole band kicks in and it seems really heavy.

Yeah, just for the intro. It's not really an original idea but it's effective.

Like those recordings where the intro guitar is HPF'd to like 300Hz and then the HPF gets turned off when the whole band kicks in and it seems really heavy.

Right. I get what you're saying. I'm in the middle of trying something similar. I'm keeping the wah for the breaks and solos, where there's no vocals. But going back to the non-wah for wherever the vocals come in. I'm glad you posted, I think this is going to work. Thanx bro.

OK, here is what I did. Unfortunately, I couldn't get rid of the attachments in the first post.

Here's what I want people to hear:

KNOCK ME DOWN

Tell me what you think. Thanx.

Back