Close Miking & high Pass

anoopbal

I am wondering when you do close miking, where does your high pass end up at?

I have mine at around 250 -275 at around .5Q. I feel it is too much. I know it depends on the voice, but just trying to see what other people keep theirs at usually.

Thank you

I don't either.

I have mine at around 250 -275 at around .5Q. I feel it is too much.

Numbers mean nothing, use your ears. If you feel it's too much, change it. Simple. Nobody here will be able to give you any magic numbers/settings to make your voice, in your room, with your set up, sound the way you want to hear it.

:thumbs up:

Thanks guys for the reply.

I agree about the ear part. I just want to see what others are using. I am guessing if you are close miking the room acoustics wouldn't come into play much. but then the proximity effect would come in. i am using a Shure beta. I dont know if my voice has too much base or the room acoustics is still coming through (very low ceiling). i will post a clip. Just trying to learn more.

Proximity effect, mic choice and voice are going to be the main factors.
I high pass quite heavily because, really, I need to.
I think most of it is the tone of my voice because I have a pretty deep voice and I've tried any number of mics.

I usually end up rolling off quite high, maybe around 250, and also making a wide cut at 500 or so to add to the curve, if that makes sense.
That's usually with an sm7b which, again, is going to be bass heavy.

I have recorded people where it just wasn't necessary at all.

I don't HP vocals.

Of course...there's always a minimum of 3" distance from the mic provided by the pop filter, which prevents any proximity effect in the first place.

Yeah, I used to high-pass my lead vocals just because I read "somewhere" that it needs to be done. That's why you have to try things out for yourself and see what works with your voice, equipment, room, particular song, etc....

Reading what others do won't help you and might even hurt you since you'll be doing things because you think you should as opposed to making an informed decision about it.

So, now with my mic, my voice, my room etc....I don't high-pass my lead vocals. I do scoop out a ibt of 800-1000 because I find I tend to "honk" a bit in those frequencies at times.

I do high-pass back vocals, though. If I have a 3 part harmony, one of those is my lead and the other 2 are my backs. But the backs are actually 4 tracks because I always double my backs. The build-up of those 4 tracks usually sounds a lot clearer if I high-pass. I also think thinning out back vocals a bit ensures they're not over-powering the lead vocals.

So....No, I don't high-pass my lead vocals. :D

Proximity effect, mic choice and voice are going to be the main factors.
I high pass quite heavily because, really, I need to.
I think most of it is the tone of my voice because I have a pretty deep voice and I've tried any number of mics.

I usually end up rolling off quite high, maybe around 250, and also making a wide cut at 500 or so to add to the curve, if that makes sense.
That's usually with an sm7b which, again, is going to be bass heavy.

I have recorded people where it just wasn't necessary at all.

Steen needs it cause he is a "manly man" :p

Steen needs it cause he is a "manly man" :p

and manly enough to wear that adorable little pink tutu. :)

As to hi pass... I'm pretty much in the same boat as RAMIdude...not on the lead vox but I'll chop off from around 125 hz on down for harmony's. Helps with any "mid-mud" build up.

And yeah... I'm a manly enough man to use "adorable" here.
:D

Back