Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens Trailer

If I remember correctly from my childhood toys, the original tie-fighter pilots were black stormtroopers, no?

Yay! I'm really looking forward to this. I loved the first two as a kid, but return of the Jedi was a little too low budget and cheesy I thought.

Seeing the opening scene from a new hope in the theater in 1977 was mind blowing considering what had come before.

My kids love the prequels although even they hate jar jar! I think revenge of the sith is great actually...better than Jedi, no?

Anyway, I was horrified that Disney bought it, but that was offset when they hired J J Abrams ( lost, cloverfield, Star Trek). I think he has really good taste and the franchise couldn't be in better hands. :)

Can't tell too much from the trailer, but everything I saw had a great look to it.

Was surprised to see a black storm trooper (racist! :)) since I thought they were all descended from clones who came from jango fett, right? Maybe that dude just put on the armor as a disguise, or maybe they decided to clone billy dee Williams? :)

Evidently the black dude is going to be one of the main good-guys. Guess he was undercover or something, hence the stormtrooper get-up.

If I remember correctly from my childhood toys, the original tie-fighter pilots were black stormtroopers, no?

Yeah, they wore black uniforms. Miser was actually talking about the dude's skin color though lol.

"Oh, yes, sir! Absolutely anything at all! Anything you want from me! Anything, anything! ... Anything but THAT! Waaahhhh!!!!" :laughings:

Over the years I've watched the Star Wars movies more times than I care to admit, and I even enjoyed the second three. But one needs to know where to draw the line between enjoying a movie (or TV series) and being an obsessed maniac.

I'm reminded of something a former coworker told me one time. She and I both watched the various Star Trek series regularly, and we'd both been to a sci-fi convention or three over the years. She was telling me about one convention where she was sitting in the hotel's food court eating lunch when a young man dressed up in a costume walked up. Trying to be friendly and polite, she asked, "Hi, how are you? What's your name?"

[robotic alien voice]"I am Zor-tac from the plan-et Zel-tar."[/robotic alien voice]

"Oh, okay. But who are you?"

"I am Zor-tac from the plan-et Zel-tar."

"Yes, but who are YOU?"

"I am Zor-tac from the plan-et Zel-tar."

Even actors (usually) know when to stop playing "pretend."

Can you not locate your inner child? I'm a big kid and love kids films. ;)

My inner child came out to play a few decades ago, and he hasn't gone back inside since! ;)

Seriously, though, I've found that "children's" movies are often better-written and better-acted than "grown-up's" movies. Obviously, that isn't always the case, but there's an awful lot of awful movies being churned out for adults.

What I consider the worst film next. Attack Of The Clones.

I actually enjoyed Attack Of The Clones the most of the second three-- except for all the "budding romance" scenes. If you fast-forward through those-- or use them as opportunities to make a run to the kitchen or bathroom-- the rest of the movie is pretty good!

The first one was the best, mostly because we hadn't seen anything of that sort that good before, but also because parts of it were really well done - the bright desert scenes, the mystical/martial Jedi master, the robot personalities - they really added character and interest and atmosphere. But everything after that was just milking the same vein with varying degrees of unsuccess. The trailer for the new one looks like it's getting back to the formula of the first one, but...it's copying a formula. If they'd left it after the first one, they could have been praised for creating a classic. Instead, they turned it into an industry.

The original three are so iconic that it's almost impossible to evaluate them objectively in my opinion. It's like taking Hey Jude or Purple Haze or something and trying to pick them apart. Even the dancing Ewoks scene...

The last three films were like X Factor candidates taking on either of those songs - they hit every note and are probably technically superior to the originals, but have zero charm and are inescapably nothing more than pale imitations.

dobro said:
Instead, they turned it into an industry.

I can understand that sentiment, but what an industry! The toys were pretty freakin cool for a kid growing up in the seventies, and my son loaded up on new cool Star Wars toys last decade. That's some pretty good staying power there.

Many people consider empire strikes back to be the best, and I tend to agree, but the first film always will have that cache of being first.

I read Lucas had sole rights to merchandising since he had to negotiate such a lopsided contract on ticket revenues. I think Mel Brooks caught that one quite good in Spaceballs.

I wouldn't mind a prequels remake. That'd be pretty cool if they did it better. Like taking out Jar Jar and making the rest of his people cooler, getting someone who can actually act to play the role of Anakin, and maybe making the episode II a whole lot darker in general. It'd be cool.

I watched this on friday myself. I have to say i am pretty freakin stoked for this. But, i am biased i am a massive Star Wars fanboy. Which is odd. I find all the other space/scifi/fantasy stuff so boring. Something about Star Wars.

Empire was definitely the clear winner out of all the flicks. Even at 37 years old everyday i drive to work in this crap i have here i just say to myself "If Han can rock a taun taun on Hoth i can drive this Jeep in these conditions"

I remember when Star Wars episode IV first came out. I had never seen anything like it before. From the cinematography to the sweeping story line it was a joy to watch from beginning to end. Unlike a lot of people, I didn't mind the prequels except for the abysmal casting choice of Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. I just hope that J.J. Abrams doesn't ruin Star Wars like I feel he did the Star Trek reboot movies.

I wouldn't mind a prequels remake. That'd be pretty cool if they did it better. Like taking out Jar Jar and making the rest of his people cooler, getting someone who can actually act to play the role of Anakin, and maybe making the episode II a whole lot darker in general. It'd be cool.

They also left out Aniken's entire life as a Jedi basically. One movie he's a kid, the next he's already becoming pure evil. I guess we're supposed to assume he did some good things in between? If his downfall is to be lamented, they need to build up his good side by having him do cool shit for the good guys first. It's called dynamics.

Back