importance of multiple overhead mics

NTB, were you inebriated while recording this? I think you're stretching my affection for things slightly shambolic to near breaking point! That sounds like a blind man building a shed; like somebody watching in horror as his drumkit tumbles down a stairwell! Come on, man! :D

Hey, my name is "NotThatBright". What the hell do you want? :)

Do you do a lot of drumming near stairwells?

4 days a week I refrain from drinking. 1 day is optional. Friday and Saturday, you bet your ass I'll be tying one on. And since I started this hobby, as soon as I tie one on I ditch everyone, head home and knock something out. I originally bought instruments almost a year and a half ago, intending for them to give me something to do besides being out drinking on weekend nights past 8. A couple of my friends had just gotten DUIs and I wanted to avoid that.

So, to be honest, I'm always somewhat in the bag every time I do a song. Not like the other night, though. I was pretty torn up. Lack of balance was a factor in that drumming. Now I'm on vacation for a week and my sleep schedule is a mess. I'll be taking naps all day.

Hey, my name is "NotThatBright". What the hell do you want? :)

Do you do a lot of drumming near stairwells?

4 days a week I refrain from drinking. 1 day is optional. Friday and Saturday, you bet your ass I'll be tying one on. And since I started this hobby, as soon as I tie one on I ditch everyone, head home and knock something out. I originally bought instruments almost a year and a half ago, intending for them to give me something to do besides being out drinking on weekend nights past 8. A couple of my friends had just gotten DUIs and I wanted to avoid that.

So, to be honest, I'm always somewhat in the bag every time I do a song. Not like the other night, though. I was pretty torn up. Lack of balance was a factor in that drumming. Now I'm on vacation for a week and my sleep schedule is a mess. I'll be taking naps all day.

The sound was better, though. :D

P.S. - The postie's been.:listeningmusic::drunk:

Lol. NTB is at the point where he's just doing this for fun and games and having fun with it. Nothing wrong with that. Getting hammered and knocking out some tunes is the very spirit of rock and roll.

But here's what's gonna happen...he's gonna get to a fork in the road. He's actually almost there. One path is very simple and will lead him to continued drunken wildness and loads of fun at the expense of making good recordings. The other path will pit monetary investment, accumulated knowledge, and the desire to create something listenable against the urge to get wasted and just bang out some slop. Which path will he take? I don't know. Only time will tell. One thing I do know....the paths don't merge. As fun as it can be to be retardedly drunk, it rarely ever yields good results even in best case scenarios..

I think he's right at that fork. He's just spent $200 on mics, that he could've spent on beer. He's on the cusp, riding the razor's edge. :D

Right. Someone made a good point in here recently that I totally agree with. They said that most of us get into this hobby just for fun and to record our stupid songs for our own enjoyment. Fine, no problem. I think the majority of us start out that way. But then you realize that there is great potential for really good results with home recording, and you get into it more and more. You outgrow just wanting to get your ideas recorded and you aspire to actually make good mixes once you see that it really can be done. I think it's a natural progression.

Really, who actually wants to sound bad? I know garagey lo-fi sounding stuff is a hot trend right now and people pretend like they're rebelling against convention by sounding like shit, but it's an illusion. I'm suspicious of people that hide behind the lo-fi label. It's not art, they just fucking suck. They suck at playing, or they suck at recording, probably both, but it's at least one or the other. There's no good reason to willingly sound like shit when you don't have to, and with modern home recording and all of the information on the internet, you don't have to sound like shit.

New Mics Day!!!!

Can't wait to record something with these babies - think it might be the Pixies' "Where is my Mind". :)

P1010779.1.jpg

Attachments

• P1010779.JPG
    P1010779.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 40
Cool man. I love the Pixies.

Yeah, I want to do something with a real in-your-face uncomplicated drum track, something where the sounds of the drums and guitars are up front, honest and have no muddiness to hide in.

I love the pixies too. From what I read about the recording they used room mics as the primary sound with little to no overhead in the final mixes. Might be worth a shot.

I think he's right at that fork. He's just spent $200 on mics, that he could've spent on beer. He's on the cusp, riding the razor's edge. :D

$200? I wish! This stupid yank just spent $431.39 on the overheads (2 of the C1000s) and microphone bar, plus $332.89 on the audix D4 (for the 18" tom) and the audix i5 (for the snare) and a new clip for the i5 on the snare. Me calling myself "stupid" has nothing to do with buying these mics... they are certainly worth it, from what I've heard so far. :)

Lol. NTB is at the point where he's just doing this for fun and games and having fun with it. Nothing wrong with that. Getting hammered and knocking out some tunes is the very spirit of rock and roll.

But here's what's gonna happen...he's gonna get to a fork in the road. He's actually almost there. One path is very simple and will lead him to continued drunken wildness and loads of fun at the expense of making good recordings. The other path will pit monetary investment, accumulated knowledge, and the desire to create something listenable against the urge to get wasted and just bang out some slop. Which path will he take? I don't know. Only time will tell. One thing I do know....the paths don't merge. As fun as it can be to be retardedly drunk, it rarely ever yields good results even in best case scenarios..

Can't argue with this. Here's what I expect to happen (no bullshit):

I've been trying to stave off true adulthood for as long as possible (subconsciously), partiucularly when it comes to marriage. However, most of my friends (and pretty much ALL the respectable ones) have married by now. I have been finding reasons to break up with girls that have wanted me to commit to them. I predict that within a year I will finally give in and become engaged to someone. As soon as I'm married, this will become a serious hobby, as I'll be looking for something to occupy my time and get away from my wife, whom I'll probably blame for "holding me back" from enjoying life, or something like that. Between feeling trapped by the vows I will have taken and with my skill with music increasing, I will likely exhibit some serious passive-aggressive behavior toward her and spend almost all my free time in the basement, recording songs. And when that time comes, my sound will be on par with Greg's stuff and Bubba's Radiohead cover.

What the hell, at least this will make my parents happy. :)

Right. Someone made a good point in here recently that I totally agree with. They said that most of us get into this hobby just for fun and to record our stupid songs for our own enjoyment. Fine, no problem. I think the majority of us start out that way. But then you realize that there is great potential for really good results with home recording, and you get into it more and more. You outgrow just wanting to get your ideas recorded and you aspire to actually make good mixes once you see that it really can be done. I think it's a natural progression.

Really, who actually wants to sound bad? I know garagey lo-fi sounding stuff is a hot trend right now and people pretend like they're rebelling against convention by sounding like shit, but it's an illusion. I'm suspicious of people that hide behind the lo-fi label. It's not art, they just fucking suck. They suck at playing, or they suck at recording, probably both, but it's at least one or the other. There's no good reason to willingly sound like shit when you don't have to, and with modern home recording and all of the information on the internet, you don't have to sound like shit.

100% in agreement. I could have written this myself, except for the parts about lo-fi being a trend, etc, which I really don't know about, but certainly sounds like something jerkoffs would do. I just know I want as high-quality a sound as I can afford.

$200? I wish! This stupid yank just spent $431.39 on the overheads (2 of the C1000s) and microphone bar, plus $332.89 on the audix D4 (for the 18" tom) and the audix i5 (for the snare) and a new clip for the i5 on the snare. Me calling myself "stupid" has nothing to do with buying these mics... they are certainly worth it, from what I've heard so far. :)

Yeah, got it a bit wrong. The C1000S are £99 over here, which is $156. :D

As soon as I'm married, this will become a serious hobby, as I'll be looking for something to occupy my time and get away from my wife,

No, you got that a little wrong. As soon as you get married you will have no "you time". She will want you to be up her ass constantly, no pun intended. You will be newlyweds and she will want 100% of your undivided attention. Just ride out the storm. As you give her 100% of your attention she will eventually come to realize that men are fucking annoying and she will want you to have your own space. This is when you start to win. The trick is maintaining your own space while also making enough time for her. If you can walk that line, you will be a content man in all areas of life. If you can't manage it, you will be miserable. I got my own "man room" pretty quick, and it's been awesome ever since.

Bottom line, don't get married unless you really really find the right broad.

When do we get to hear this? Those are some badass-looking mics. My C1000s look like vibrators. Glad I'm not singing into them! :)
I'm aiming to do the drum track tomorrow night or Friday. The rest of it shouldn't take too long, certainly nothing like Paranoid Android. I used 30 tracks on that, which I thought was a lot, until a semi-pro mate of mine told me he'd just completed a mix with 150+ tracks! How does anybody manage a bunch of tracks so big? I'm sure I don't!

No, you got that a little wrong. As soon as you get married you will have no "you time". She will want you to be up her ass constantly, no pun intended. You will be newlyweds and she will want 100% of your undivided attention. Just ride out the storm. As you give her 100% of your attention she will eventually come to realize that men are fucking annoying and she will want you to have your own space. This is when you start to win. The trick is maintaining your own space while also making enough time for her. If you can walk that line, you will be a content man in all areas of life. If you can't manage it, you will be miserable. I got my own "man room" pretty quick, and it's been awesome ever since.

Bottom line, don't get married unless you really really find the right broad.

I can tell this is good advice. My problem is that I had the perfect broad 10 years ago and fucked it up. Ever since then I've been comparing the current broad to her and not being satisfied. I need to get it through my head that the perfect broad ain't coming back and I'd better settle for a good one or there ain't gonna be any NotThatBright Jr.s for grandma to dote on.

Back