First Recording Gig

jigfresh

Enjoying life
I've been working with some guys who like to burn money. They've set up a little studio and are going to have me of all people be in charge. :confused:

They booked a band for this weekend to record a 4 song EP. I'm really excited about the whole thing, but also nervous as I know very little about mixing, and even less about mastering. Also nervous about how the flow is going to go during tracking. I really wish I would have paid attention 20 years ago when the band I was in recorded in a real studio.

Wish us all luck, I think we'll need it.

And any tips for a complete beginner on his first project would be welcome.

Keep levels low. -18dBFS or so in DAW. Do not clip preamps. Spend the time getting the tone right at the source then experiment with mic placement. Tune the drums and instruments. Don't pick your nose.

:)

I've been working with some guys who like to burn money. They've set up a little studio and are going to have me of all people be in charge. :confused:

They booked a band for this weekend to record a 4 song EP. I'm really excited about the whole thing, but also nervous as I know very little about mixing, and even less about mastering. Also nervous about how the flow is going to go during tracking. I really wish I would have paid attention 20 years ago when the band I was in recorded in a real studio.

Wish us all luck, I think we'll need it.

And any tips for a complete beginner on his first project would be welcome.

Boy....you seem to be taking this seriously. :D

So it's like Wednesday....and you're a "complete beginner"....confused as to why they asked you to be in charge...and you know "very little about mixing and even less about mastering"....

...but you're still doing a first time recording gig just 3 days from now....and you want tips? :laughings:

You have extra large huevos! ;)

My advice is get through the tracking first. Follow the lead of the guys being recorded. If they have a demo, give it a listen before you begin to get the feel of what they want...take a few minutes before starting to make sure you are on their page. If they have a specific way of tracking (instrument to click and add tracks vs single whole band take replaced by track by track vs live recording) work with it to the best of your ability. Have you done any live mixing at least? That's a good start for getting the tracks ready for rough mix...

The only tip that I will give that may have some relevance is this....

Recording solo in a typical home-rec scenario is one thing.....recording an actual band gig with multiple players and multiple events/issues all happening at the same time is something totally different.
Sure, in the end a guitar track is a guitar track....but man, managing a room full of people and all the tracking needs...simultaneously...can quickly turn ugly if you've never done it before.
I mean...something as simple as setting up a cue mix for 5 people can grind a tracking session to a halt...and that's just one thing of maybe a hundred things that will require attention.

So...think about that long and hard the next couple of days and all the possible needs/questions/issues you might have to address in that recording scenario based on what you have to work with... and of course solutions that you should have at your fingertips.

Good luck....and maybe things will just fall into place and run smooth...but you sure like flying by the seat of your pants! :p

Keep us posted of the outcome.

Remember that in order to meet their needs they have to meet your needs. Sometimes you have to be assertive and tell them to do things (make sounds, not make sounds, move around etc.). Be communicative, let them know what's happening if you're having trouble.

As indicated above, keep each track's record level around -18dBFS average on the DAW's meter. That means that while playing the lights should consistently go over and under the -18dBFS mark. Percussive sounds will be under more often than over. On a properly set up system -18dBFS in the computer should be about the same as 0VU in the analog world. Never let anything get even close to 0dBFS.

Everybody will want to hear themselves louder than everybody else, singers especially. If you and the equipment can manage this then do it, but it does take more time to set up multiple monitor mixes.

My advice is get through the tracking first. Follow the lead of the guys being recorded. If they have a demo, give it a listen before you begin to get the feel of what they want...take a few minutes before starting to make sure you are on their page. If they have a specific way of tracking (instrument to click and add tracks vs single whole band take replaced by track by track vs live recording) work with it to the best of your ability. Have you done any live mixing at least? That's a good start for getting the tracks ready for rough mix...

The guys do not have any of their music recorded. They just put the band together a few months ago. All I know is they play 'rock'. I have not done any live mixing.

About all I've done is record myself in my house on guitar... and record a 4 part band with no vocals during 3 of their practices. Experience galore. ;)

Boy....you seem to be taking this seriously. :D

So it's like Wednesday....and you're a "complete beginner"....confused as to why they asked you to be in charge...and you know "very little about mixing and even less about mastering"....

...but you're still doing a first time recording gig just 3 days from now....and you want tips? :laughings:

You have extra large huevos! ;)

Why thank you. :) We all have to start somewhere... and I'm not about to say thanks but no thanks at getting the opportunity to make a record with someone.

I only found out about the whole thing on Sunday. I've been reading and researching like crazy since finding out. I just made it over here today, for the extra moral support. I wasn't expecting you all to tell me how to mix and master in 3 days. :)

Saw a really nice used Hagstrom at GC the other day and thought of you.

The only tip that I will give that may have some relevance is this....

Recording solo in a typical home-rec scenario is one thing.....recording an actual band gig with multiple players and multiple events/issues all happening at the same time is something totally different.
Sure, in the end a guitar track is a guitar track....but man, managing a room full of people and all the tracking needs...simultaneously...can quickly turn ugly if you've never done it before.
I mean...something as simple as setting up a cue mix for 5 people can grind a tracking session to a halt...and that's just one thing of maybe a hundred things that will require attention.

So...think about that long and hard the next couple of days and all the possible needs/questions/issues you might have to address in that recording scenario based on what you have to work with... and of course solutions that you should have at your fingertips.

Good luck....and maybe things will just fall into place and run smooth...but you sure like flying by the seat of your pants! :p

Keep us posted of the outcome.

I've imagined many nightmare scenarios. For one thing... the computer we are running the DAW on Sucks. I am not sure why the guys spent $3000 on a Presonus 24.4.2 and skimped out majorly on the PC. It's a joke. They guys who are buying all this stuff (who say they know a lot about it all... yet... they don't... if they did where do I fit in) are trying to figure out how to put an external hard drive they just bought into the system. The recording would drop out saying the hard drive isn't fast enough. This is still happening today, 3 days before tracking lol. So really... if we can actually just get everything recorded without having to tell them the computer broke half way through a song I'll feel good about it.

A cue mix... hmmmm. I guess that's something I should look up. Never heard of it before.

This is all too funny. This is so not me. I take things slow, only do something if I know I can do it right. If I was reading all this I would think to myself "This guy is an idiot, and has no chance in hell of doing anything worth while." Haha... and I suppose I would be correct.

Any other things that could quickly grind tracking to a halt? I'm sure there are a million... but any common things that you can think of?

You guys should see the recording space. Everything is powered by a single outlet. Like 2 plugs. Even having nothing to do with audio, I know that's not a good thing on an electrical system. It's all absolutely ridiculous. But hell... it's not my garage. Not my equipment. Not my band. And I will make sure they do not put my name on anything, anywhere.

Also, I'm using a DAW I'm not familiar with. Haha... I have and use Cubase. They have Studio One. Bla...

Remember that in order to meet their needs they have to meet your needs. Sometimes you have to be assertive and tell them to do things (make sounds, not make sounds, move around etc.). Be communicative, let them know what's happening if you're having trouble.

As indicated above, keep each track's record level around -18dBFS average on the DAW's meter. That means that while playing the lights should consistently go over and under the -18dBFS mark. Percussive sounds will be under more often than over. On a properly set up system -18dBFS in the computer should be about the same as 0VU in the analog world. Never let anything get even close to 0dBFS.

Everybody will want to hear themselves louder than everybody else, singers especially. If you and the equipment can manage this then do it, but it does take more time to set up multiple monitor mixes.

Thanks for the tip on communication. One thing I do remember from recording our album was that the engineer was really bossy. Not in a bad way, just told us what to do all the time. I will remember to be open about everything and work with the guys.

The believe the board we have has the capacity to give everyone individual mixes. I'd just have to learn how to do it. Time to get on it.

Thanks for the input.

And thanks to everyone for the input, really appreciate it. I'll keep you all posted.

Can you play with the DAW between now and then? That would be helpful. Studio one is pretty intuitive.

As they havent recorded before that may be a plus...KISS

Everyone gets there a different way. The first band I "recorded" (LOL) I went to a practice with a mono recorder and recorded every take they did. They then told me which take was there favorite. That take goes into the DAW. Then I used as this as a guide track to play back to each musician (via headphone) one at a time to record their part. As many takes for each one as necessary. The beauty of digital is that a not a single one of those takes needs to be perfect, just so there are overlapping parts that can be cut and pasted together. No cue mixes, no click tracks, real, real basic tracking. I didnt use much of any processing on the way in, just a little EQ. That completes tracking.

Mixing comes after you get this done. You arent trying to get all the way through in one day are you?

Good luck! Its fun and exciting.

I am begging the guys to record this weekend and let me mix over the next week. Their idea is start to finish everything done Saturday and Sunday. I don't get it, and I'm trying to change that. Not really sure what the rush is.

Luckily I bought studio one on Cinco de Mayo for $5. Someone on this forum hipped me to it. I figured might as well get another DAW, since it's $5. Glad I got it after all. I downloaded the tracks for that Everyday song from the Mix this section. Great song by the way. I imported all the tracks into studio one about 40 minutes ago and I'm having a crack at doing things.

So far I'm just overwhelmed with all the tracks. And yes I know it doesn't even have that many tracks.

Yeah, and you dont want to get hung up for twenty minutes during recording trying to remeber which clicks to do to get the meter section up, LOL

Yeah, play with that mix all you can between now and then, it will only help you!

Why thank you. :) We all have to start somewhere... and I'm not about to say thanks but no thanks at getting the opportunity to make a record with someone.

I only found out about the whole thing on Sunday.

I kinda figured you might have been thrown into the mix at the last minute....so to speak. :D

The computer and DAW software will not be your problem (for the most part).
As long as you have enough A/D channels in the interface(s)....the DAW should do what it does....record the audio coming in.
Just do whole/straight takes for the sessions, rather than trying to punch in or edit stuff as you go. Leave that for later. Just focus on recording the takes, as many as they want to do.

The real issues are going to be stuff you didn't think of (like something as silly as, "we need another power strip"...or "the mic cable isn't long enough to reach the OH mics"...shit like that.

Like others have said....try to keep the tracking as simple as possible (KISS)....and just keep it moving. The more you guys stop to audition every take, the less you will get done, and you get hung up on small shit.
If you had lots of time, then OK....but tracking/mixing in one weekend even for an EP is a lot, and requires things to keep moving fast, no time for endless perfection.
Now...AFA getting it all tracked AND mixed over the weekend.....mmmmmm....good luck. I mean, it's possible for you to have "finished" mixes at the end of the weekend, but most lilkely it will not be what everyone was/is expecting. :)

Last edited:
Its sounds as though his interface is a Presonus 24.4.2 which has plenty of inputs.

O/P be careful with the Presonus (I have the same one). If you use effects going in during tracking i.e. the fat channel, you do not hear the effects in the headphones! This tripped me up for a while....I think I'd just use it as an iterface to adjust levels going into the DAW. worry about all effects at mix down...just my 2 cents

With inexperienced bands I find that its best to track them live in the studio, for example record the drums, bass and guitars at the same time with the singer doing a guide vocal, then overdub the real vocals later. Yes, I know you get some spill but this can be reduced with care. The reason I say this is that some bands just cannot track (play) separately, and also tracking separately is not the feel they are used to. If this just does not work, at least set up the drummer with the bass and guitar playing guide tracks along with them through DI's.

Forget using click tracks unless the band are very experienced in this, and you don't need them for rock music LOL.

Alan.

I kinda figured you might have been thrown into the mix at the last minute....so to speak. :D

That's a knee slapper.

Its sounds as though his interface is a Presonus 24.4.2 which has plenty of inputs.

O/P be careful with the Presonus (I have the same one). If you use effects going in during tracking i.e. the fat channel, you do not hear the effects in the headphones! This tripped me up for a while....I think I'd just use it as an iterface to adjust levels going into the DAW. worry about all effects at mix down...just my 2 cents

Thanks for that. I did not know that and had wondered why I didn't hear it on the headphones.

With inexperienced bands I find that its best to track them live in the studio, for example record the drums, bass and guitars at the same time with the singer doing a guide vocal, then overdub the real vocals later. Yes, I know you get some spill but this can be reduced with care. The reason I say this is that some bands just cannot track (play) separately, and also tracking separately is not the feel they are used to. If this just does not work, at least set up the drummer with the bass and guitar playing guide tracks along with them through DI's.

Forget using click tracks unless the band are very experienced in this, and you don't need them for rock music LOL.

Alan.

Awesome. Good ideas for me.

Again... I really want to thank you guys for the tips and support. I'll be thinking of you all this weekend.

The believe the board we have has the capacity to give everyone individual mixes. I'd just have to learn how to do it. Time to get on it.

One way of avoiding this complication is not to use headphones. If the space is big enough, get the hand to play altogether in it live. There will be bleed, but you can reduce it by taking care with where you place each member and how the mikes are positioned.

They've forgotten the most important thing. Turn on the lava lamp at least 30 minutes before the session starts to get it to optimum operation temperature!

Lots of good advice above so I'll just add a couple of things.

First, take the time to give each person who needs it a really good, specific monitor mix in their headphones. Hearing the right stuff can really improve performances.

Second, listen critically. Very critcally. It's easy to get swept up in the excitement of the moment and not notice the little things that are wrong with a track--a flat note here, a mis timed entry there. These are much easier to fix at the tracking stage than in the mix.

Third, just to reinforce what several others have said, get everything (from instrument tuning through mic placement and recording levels) as perfect as you can on the day. Never think "well, I can fix that in the mix". Believe me, you'll have enough to fix anyway without allowing known problems to slip through while recording.

Finally, be prepared. Know in advance what mics and cabling you need and have them set up and circuit tested before the band arrives. This means you can get straight to the good stuff when the band is in front of you. Similarly, have your DAW set up with inputs and outputs routed to the correct tracks and so on. Basically, when the band arrives, you want to work with them, not get bogged down in the boring set up stuff.

Have fun.

Back