The New Tone Thread

Just to be honest dude, it's probably something I wouldn't wanna tackle myself...I mean sure, I can solder a little, & can follow directions, but I'd hate to think I'd fuck up a $1500 amp, which would be easily done, & would be my luck...LOL....Gonna do some more research on it...

Ok, here's another clip, same exact di, re-amped through the DSL100, this time using the '57...I did tweak the eq on the amp, because I used the red channel...to me this sounds kinda dull compared to the clip yesterday, but, it was just quick-n-dirty, basically killing time before work...

Signal chain:

LP> DSL100 > ISOcab V30 > '57

DSL100:
100w mode
Resonance: 5
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 5
Treble: 5
Vol: 5
Gain: 2

LP > DSL100 > V30 > '57

I'm sure I could tweak the amp & mic placement to make this sound much better, but again, just fuckin' around....Lemme know what you think....I'm thinking the DSL100 has enough gain for me to use with about any style of music I'd wanna play/record....I don't get into the down-tuned cookie-monster vocal metal, so no need for that shit for me...

Gotta run, my lawyer called & told me to stop in to sign the final papers....WHOOOO!!!! Gonna have a fuckin' party this weekend to celebrate...I might even get a ac to dc converter thing, load my half-stack up into my Jeep & drive by her house with it cranked up...She always bitched about my music being too loud, even with the fuckin' 1w amp through the ISO cab....Bitch...LOL...

Gotta run!!!!!!

To me, that is WAY better than yesterday's boomy pedal clip. I like this one. It's bright and raw. Sounds natural. Good sound to me. It's definitely not dull by any means.

Thanks dude, I think this ISO cab is gonna work man, it's actually a little quieter than the home-made one, & a lot easier to tweak the mic position by far...I figured you'd like this clip a little better, it's a little more raw, & when using the red channel, the bottom isn't tubby sounding like the green channel...That can be dialed out with the resonance & bass knobs though...Love my DSL100 dude, it's a good amp...

Back to the search, looked at a Ceriatone Chupacabra 50 watter....About $1100, but it's basically a modded, hot-rodded super lead...Supposed to go from stock, to modern metal, all in one amp...I know most amps that claim to do this don't deliver, so I'm gonna do some research & find out all I can about it.....Not sure what the "Pussy Trim" is, but it's on the back, so I'm guessing it's a PPIMV...LOL...pussy trim...

Re-amped the di again, this time everything on "5" except the gain, volume, & presence... on the green crunch & SD-1 clips, the gain was dimed, & the JOYO clip, I just set the amp to the clean mode, & put the gain on "5"

Signal chain:

LP > SD-1/JOYO Hot Plexi > DSL > ISO V30 > '57

Amp settings:
100w mode
Green crunch
Resonance: 5
Presence: 8
Bass: 5
Mid: 5
Treble: 5
Gain: 5/10
Volume: 2-3

SD-1:
Level: 10
Gain: 0
Tone: 3-4

JOYO:
Volume: 10
Gain: 0
Tone: 3-4

green crunch

SD-1

JOYO Hot Plexi

Basically just fucking around as usual, killing time until I get my week overwith....

The SD-1 works great as a clean boost on the green crunch channel IMO, pretty much the same tone, with just a little more hair on it...I like it a lot...

The JOYO pedal sucks the mids out, & makes it sound scooped too much IMO, might be able to tweak the eq on the amp to make up for it, but, for $40, it's a decent sounding pedal...I honestly don't know how it compares to the Carl Martin pedal, but with a little tweaking, it could be used pretty easy in a mix...

One thing I've forgot to mention about all these clips I've been posting, the V30 speaker isn't broken in yet, I'm sure it won't take too long though, as I've been using it pretty much daily, & at pretty good volumes coming out of the DSL100...

Got class/annual refresher Friday (during the day), & they're hinting around that we're gonna be off Saturday (they first told us we had to work...which I was gonna use that extra $$$ toward a new amp...), so if I'm off Saturday, it'll kinda be like having a 3 day weekend, sorta...I probably won't feel like doing shit Friday evening (won't get home 'til about 12 Thursday night, & have to be at class at 7 am, with an hour drive...), but still, I'll have an extra evening, if I'm off Saturday....

i think what i want is the jtm45w reissue

i wish it didnt have a presence control. i wind up turning that all the way down on marshalls.

5881 tubes is that 6l6's

Did a little research on the Ceriatone Chupacabra & from what I can find out, they're superb amps....But, they're made in Malaysia, & the shipping cost would be like $150...No returns/refunds either, so if I go that route, & something happens to it, I'm basically fucked, so I'm not sure if I'd buy one or not....I really like the clips I've heard from it though, goes from stock to a modern metal thing, it's got a master volume (which would help with the noise issue for now), & the "pussy trim" is a gain control for one of the gain stages....

I dunno, still gonna do some digging about this amp to see what I can find out, I'm very wary of buying something I can't return though...

Any of you guys have anything to add, or know anything about these amps????

Ok, I tweaked the amp & pedal a little, then re-amped the same di....I know, I know...Only had a couple mins to fuck with it this morning heading out the door as soon as I post this...

Dimed the mids & backed the treble off a little, seems to have smoothed it out where it's not so harsh....

JOYO #2

Dude, no offense man, but throw that Joyo pedal away. Lol. The other clips sound pretty okay. The Joyo clips, not so much.

The only things I'm hearing in the Green Crunch and SD-1 clips that I think could be better are the boominess, lack of chimy high mids, and the crunch is kind of harsh a little bit. I know the Green channel on the DSL is naturally boomy. I'd suggest turn the resonance to 0 when using that channel. The resonance control really just replaces the deep switch found on older DSLs, and that was only there to fatten up the thin-ish lead channel. The resonance control is also good to dial in the room sound. It gives a lot of punch when you're standing 10-20 feet away. With a mic right up on a speaker though it's mostly unnecessary. It just adds flub. The lack of the singing chimy high mids found on older designs might just be because the gain is set so high on that channel. They were almost there on your lead channel clip. Believe it or not, that lead channel clip you posted earlier sounds more "vintage" to me than these green channel clips. That lead clip almost sounded JCM800-ish. Those old Marshalls are tight and bright! The SD-1 clip almost gets it there too because it tightens up the mids. So just my opinion...tighten up the lows, work with the mids, and pump up the volume. Get that speaker loosened up! :D

On the Ceriatone thing, I've never seen or heard a Chupacabra. I've heard of it, but never seen one myself. Ceriatone does have a US distributor though. I'm pretty sure on that, not 100% sure how it works, but I've heard of people buying them through some place in Nevada or something so overseas shipping rates are nullified. The basic Ceriatones I have heard though are pretty awesome. They look great, sound great, and seem to be very well done. If I were in the market for a clone, they'd be high on my list.

Holy crap, just checked some Chupacabra sound clips on the Ceriatone site.......that's a whole lotta gain. Very hairy 80s. Sounds "right" though. That's *that* sound.

---------- Update ----------

i think what i want is the jtm45w reissue

i wish it didnt have a presence control. i wind up turning that all the way down on marshalls.

5881 tubes is that 6l6's
Hey groovyisland!

Holy crap, just checked some Chupacabra sound clips on the Ceriatone site.......that's a whole lotta gain. Very hairy 80s. Sounds "right" though. That's *that* sound

Yes it is dude, plus, it's supposed to go from vintage super lead, all the way to modern metal, plus everything in between....I think that amp is more of what I'm looking for really, it's got a master volume too...Gonna do some more research on 'em....

On the clips, you're right dude, the JOYO sucks really, but whaddya expect for $40??? It might be ok to dial in a lesser-gained tone, but there's no fucking adjustment on the gain...LOL...

I'm starting to "get" it about these amps too dude, I just need to spend some more time with my DSL...To be honest, I really haven't used it that much, fuck, I haven't had time....In between fighting with the ex, working 5-6 days a week, & everything else that comes along....

Thanks for the listen & comments dude....Gotta hit the sack, have to get up about 5 in the morning...

Joyo clean amp demo

Joyo pedals only work well when the amp is set to clean & just below break up.
I have one of them (the ACtone) - because they were cheap and the demo's I saw/heard were convincing.

I'm not fan of the fellow's style but that's irrelevant.
Oh, he's a bit of a dag too, but agin that's neither here nor there.
A lot of other demos on utub have the amp cranked then add the pedal.
Oh, he's very generous about the thing so probably is not wholly independent.

Last edited:
how is your personal experience with that pedal?

Edit: I actually enjoyed his demo and I usually hate them so I'll look for others.

Joyo pedals only work well when the amp is set to clean & just below break up.
I have one of them (the ACtone) - because they were cheap and the demo's I saw/heard were convincing.

Right Ray, I always have to set the amp clean with the JOYO Hot Plexi, as there's really no adjustment for the gain, it's either on or off...Same with the volume, can't even set it at "unity" have to crank it to get a decent level, & even then, it's much lower than the amp without the pedal on...The tone knob does have a pretty good sweep to it, but can get pretty harsh the higher you turn the knob (of course)....Cheap, yes...worth $40, I'd say so, it's just another "flavor" of od for me....I'm really disappointed that it can't be used as a clean boost thing, but, that's life....

I like the ACtone pedal.
I bought it because I wanted some of THAT sound but didn't have any gear that would create it naturally.
I'm slowly working on a track that needs a bit of Vox ness to just one guitar. I tried getting some Rickenbacker tone (jangle) with a compressor and EQ. That kind of worked then I saw the vid above and like some of the scooped sounds and invested the AUS$30. I haven't found THE setting for the song yet but have found quite a few that would do perfectly well if I wasn't being unusually picky (for me).
As to the presenter: he's pretty good because he plays well, is positive, and runs pedals through decent gear to record well rather than a camera mic snap shot.
One thing I'm slowly getting to grips with is the significant impact his use of delay/reverb has on the sound. I'm going to ask him for a explanation of those with regard to the ACtone.
So far, on the song, I've used the Brown pedal for some rhythm and should have a voxy/top boosted/jangly accent guitar for the M8. I've copied a few of his settings and am tweaking from there.
I'm not interested in super distorted or massively overdriven tones for this song so can enjoy what the pedal offers.

Last edited:
Bob: Yeah dude, I know the distortion knob is the same as gain, the only thing is, there's really no adjustment with it or the volume knob....the pedal's either on or off...There might be just a little adjustment in the gain knob from about 7-10 on the dial, but really not much....And the volume can't be set to "unity", when the pedal is on, the volume is waaay lower than the amp's original volume, even with the pedal's volume dimed...What do you expect for a $40 clone though??? LOL...IMHO, the Hot Plexi could be used for recording, mostly high-gain-ish stuff, but for playing live, the pedal would have to be modded to have more volume when it's engaged...Most likely, it's gonna be gathering dust, but that's ok too...LOL

Still debating on an amp, but it's still gonna be a while before I'll be able to buy one anyway, so that'll give me time to make up my mind....The Ceriatone Chupacabra looks & sounds like what I'm after...It goes from the vintage-ish plexi/super lead sound to the 80's modded, to a modern metal thing...It's got an fx loop, master volume, & is 50w, so it looks good for me...

I started building my plexi clone today. I've put the chassis together with all the switches and pots and transformers, etc., screwed in/on. Going to do the wiring and soldering components in tomorrow - maybe I'll even be able to post some tone!

Cool Jonny!!!! I'm after a plexi/super lead myself, but I don't think I'd have the skill or patience (or time) to build one....My hat's off to ya dude, post some pics if you can....and of course, some toans when you get it finished up, but IMO, you need to take your time on the build dude...

Sounds great man, very impressed....I'd actually forgotten about your build, glad you posted today to remind me!!!

Cool Jonny!!!! I'm after a plexi/super lead myself, but I don't think I'd have the skill or patience (or time) to build one....My hat's off to ya dude, post some pics if you can....and of course, some toans when you get it finished up, but IMO, you need to take your time on the build dude...

Sounds great man, very impressed....I'd actually forgotten about your build, glad you posted today to remind me!!!

I don't think it's very hard (but, I think I've only done the easy bit so far!) - the instructions are very detailed and step by step - you just put the bits where it says, screw it or solder it,etc. Then do all the testing with the meter so you don't kill yourself. Job done. This way, I should have a decent sounding plexi-like amp for about £250.

Back