Broadness of Genre

Spelled wrong. LOL! Quick story; One night EVH played Angel's guitar player VH's version of You Really Got Me. The next day Angel recorded the song and were going to release it as a single. VH had to release their album earlier than they had intended because of EVH's naiveté.
That's ironic considering Rick Derringer did a pretty similar version of "You Really Got Me" to VH's before Van Halen did. Looks like it was some kind of 3 way race to put it out.

Derringer's version is from 1977, a year before VH's version:

Song starts at about 6:57. Funny thing is, if you go back to almost exactly 5 minutes in, you'll hear him doing something that Eddie made a career out of.

Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music

That's ironic considering Rick Derringer did a pretty similar version of "You Really Got Me" to VH's before Van Halen did. Looks like it was some kind of 3 way race to put it out.

Derringer's version is from 1977, a year before VH's version:

Song starts at about 6:57. Funny thing is, if you go back to almost exactly 5 minutes in, you'll hear him doing something that Eddie made a career out of.

Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music
I didn't realize that Derringer had done that. He was one of the more popular players at that time. He was like a hired gun. He played with Edgar Winter around that time also. But that was certainly a blueprint that EVH could have easily followed. Not saying he copied Derringer, but it is kind of strange.

I didn't realize that Derringer had done that. He was one of the more popular players at that time. He was like a hired gun. He played with Edgar Winter around that time also. But that was certainly a blueprint that EVH could have easily followed. Not saying he copied Derringer, but it is kind of strange.
I think Derringer is one of those guys who played with so many artists and influenced so many more. He played on the "Killer" album by Alice Cooper, but isn't credited. He's doing the guitar solos in "Under My Wheels", for example. He was producing Edgar Winter albums when he was something like 19 years old. He's awesome. He does all the guitars for Weird Al, if I'm not mistaken.

If you listen to the link I left up top at the 5 minute mark, it's funny that he might have been doing hammerons before Eddie. But, I have to admit, it didn't sound polished. Sounds like Eddie, and then every other guitar player in the 80's, took it to the next levels.

Rockin!

Jammin' in the basement. :)

Hey kids! See what those men are holing in their hands? Those are called "musical instruments". People used to play them with their bare hands. They sound just like samplers. :eek:

I think Derringer is one of those guys who played with so many artists and influenced so many more. He played on the "Killer" album by Alice Cooper, but isn't credited. He's doing the guitar solos in "Under My Wheels", for example. He was producing Edgar Winter albums when he was something like 19 years old. He's awesome. He does all the guitars for Weird Al, if I'm not mistaken.

If you listen to the link I left up top at the 5 minute mark, it's funny that he might have been doing hammerons before Eddie. But, I have to admit, it didn't sound polished. Sounds like Eddie, and then every other guitar player in the 80's, took it to the next levels.
Yep, Derringer was all over the place back then. His hammer-ons weren't as polished, but I can definitely see where EVH could have gotten the idea. Another guy who was all over the place back then and later, was Todd Rundgren. The motorcycle sounds on Bat Out Of Hell ​done by Rundgren with a guitar.

Edgar doing daily for life what jan hammer made a semi career of & Edgar does it better.
Interesting Edgar and Rick, Jan & Jeff. I saw the latter and was impressed by beck but not jan.
I love Old Grey Whistle Check videos - they recorded rock really well on the BBC.

GLAM became a label for anything pop/rock that charted at the time. REAL Glam dressed up & sparkled - Bowie, Bolan, Wizzard, Slade, Sweet, garry Glitter etc. - the rest were just there at the time and have been retrospectively labelled as Glam. Interestingly if you listen to the real Glam bands you'll find they ROCKED more than they popped whilst the others popped in the shallow end of the pool.

How does this topic fit in with Songwriting & Composition? Formulaeic songwriting and pastiche composition perhaps?

Last edited:
YEAH YEAH, Give 'em Good In bed & maybe Smut! But start with the obligatory Horror Movie (but NOT the live version where he sings the chorus with clipped phrases) - I have a gold vinyl signed copy of the 1st album! Oh, & maybe some Hush.

In Australia this mob spearheaded Glam...

Flo & Eddie used This singer to do high vocals on the Moving Targets album.

Last edited:
These blokes really made the Pommy Glam case in Sydney...

This singer sold songs to Status Quo.

Last edited:
The 1st song played on the national YOUTH radio station Double J in 1974 I think (I do remember listening in that day - whilst at school

Last edited:
All the way down to our version of dressed up with nowhere to go pop (written by Vanda & Young).

There were lots of other Aussie Glam bands and they almost always had recent immigrants from the UK in them - Hush, Supernaut, Scandal, Flake etc.
We definitely made the distinction between wearing satin & doing pop or being sequined and playing a rockier style.

Mud always bothered me: the intros suggested tough rock but in the end they started the stage show & sound that Racey would take up.
I bought the 1st Rubettes album - classy retro pop with a production shine but I didn't see it or david essex, (whom I quite enjoyed and I'm probably rare in having 3 of his LPs & a quad of Rock On), as Glam. Alvin Stardust - couldn't rate that one much Coo Ca Choo was fun but still didn't make for glam downunder.

Sweet didn't fit into the same genre. Little Willy was no where near Cockroach, was nowhere near Love is Like Oxygen, was no where near Lost Angels, etc. etc. etc. They didn't define a genre, they defied them all.
Sweet were essentially a progressive pop band with harder rock leanings, a sort of Bubblegum meets the Who. Their harder edge came out more as they broke with the writers of their hits, Chinn & Chapman, but even in their heyday, it was lurking with intent. I think they absorbed something that had started to become de rigeur after the Beatles appeared on the scene ¬> eclecticism. When I think of them, I think of something I heard this journalist say when commenting on those that were "naturally" glam and those that "played the game," of whom the Sweet were in the latter. She said something like "Marc [Bolan] and David [Bowie] were beautiful, pretty, delicate, sensitive artists whereas the Sweet looked like a bunch of scary hod carriers !"
220px-Sweet_promotional_photo.jpg

Personally, I thought they did a whole slew of great songs. The first single I ever owned was "Blockbuster" by them.
jan hammer.
I......was impressed by beck but not jan.
For me, Jan Hammer will always be the original keyboard wiz in the Mahavishnu Orchestra. He has quite a history in jazz and he did this brilliant album called "The first seven days" but his stuff with Mahavishnu was outstanding. When I think of some of the great jazz rock/fusion keyboardists at the time like Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul, Herbie Hancock, Mike Nock, Mike Mandel, Gayle Moran, George Duke and Patrice Rushen as well as the likes of Stevie Wonder and some of the premier progressive rock keysmen like Keith Emmerson, Rick Wright, Tony Banks, Rick Wakeman, Tony Kaye and other tremendous rocking keyboardists like Jon Lord and Vincent Crane, Hammer more than holds his own. I think he's been criminally sidelined in the development of the synthesizer and his multiple keyboard set up in the early Mahavishnu days took Miles Davies' multikeyboard idea {all played by individual players} to heights only dreamed of.
I quite like Beck's "Wired" album with Hammer. He even plays drums on it.
I love Old Grey Whistle Check videos - they recorded rock really well on the BBC
I never watched the Old grey whistle test when it was on back then. I was too young, 'Top of the pops' was about my level in terms of music on the telly. But they show stuff from the Whistle test every weekend here on BBC4. They were really at the vanguard of breaking new music in Britain during the 70s. Punk, reggae, prog, soul, funk, you name it. The Beeb were quite enterprizing although they've always been criticized for something or other.
GLAM became a label for anything pop/rock that charted at the time. REAL Glam dressed up & sparkled - Bowie, Bolan, Wizzard, Slade, Sweet, garry Glitter etc. - the rest were just there at the time and have been retrospectively labelled as Glam. Interestingly if you listen to the real Glam bands you'll find they ROCKED more than they popped whilst the others popped in the shallow end of the pool.
While it's true that there has been a lot of retrospective history fiddling, I think glam was a media creation that a number of groups appropriated regardless of the music they played. Marc Bolan and David Bowie got into the stagecraft and make up thing initially through being affected by Syd Barrett who was doing it with the Pink Floyd. Both were around in '67 and recording albums by '68 but it was '71 on that the glitter and androgyny came. Many of the people in groups that were called glam said that they dressed up and got sparkly because after acid, the hippies and political consciousness {the summer of love and bad trips}, things just got so heavy and serious and bands just used to play for themselves or trot out deep messages and they had enough of the obscurity of lyrics like "I do a road hog/Well you can penetrate any place you go/
I load a lorry/Well you can syndicate any boat you row
Yeah you can syndicate any boat you row
I told you so...." and "The keeper of the city keys
Put shutters on the dreams.
I wait outside the pilgrim's door
With insufficient schemes.
The black queen chants
The funeral march,
The cracked brass bells will ring;
To summon back the fire witch
To the court of the crimson king."
and this new generation despite loving that music and being smitten by it just wanted to put the fun and silly frivolity back into pop and rock.
Like the Sweet, many of them were pretty eclectic.

Grim.... what are you saying? How did I make it into such elite company as the Rubettes.... :D
:p I just threw that in to see if anyone would notice !
I'm afraid I've spent the prize though. :drunk:

Alvin Stardust - couldn't rate that one much Coo Ca Choo was fun but still didn't make for glam downunder.
I like a couple of his songs but I've never been able to take him seriously with that ridiculous wig, the black leather and the hilarious lyric about "grooving about on the mat" to an audience of kids !
I bought the 1st Rubettes album - classy retro pop with a production shine
My first memory of them was when I was 11 and the high pitched vocal that introduces "Sugar baby love". As soon as my sisters and I heard it, we cracked up. They actually became part of our vocab at the time as a byword for anything lame ¬>"you're just like the Rubettes !" We were funny that way. We used to do the same to the Arrows, they became a byword for something completely uninteresting.
But I really liked the Rubettes. I still have and listen to some of their stuff.
but I didn't see it or david essex, (whom I quite enjoyed and I'm probably rare in having 3 of his LPs & a quad of Rock On), as Glam.
I still remember the day, sometime when I was 10, when my older sister came home raving about David Essex. For a month it was David Essex this, David Essex that. I never thought of him as glam. To be honest, I don't think of anyone as glam. I especially don't think of Bowie and Bolan as glam because I like some of Bowie's pre~1970 work and I think Tyrannosaurus Rex did some fabulous stuff. So revealing was Marc Bolan's statement of "what the Pink Floyd do electronically, we do acoustically."
I loved some of David Essex's stuff. "Gonna make you a star" and "Hold me close" mark significant junctures in my young life.
Mud always bothered me: the intros suggested tough rock but in the end they started the stage show & sound that Racey would take up.
They were a fun group. They did some great songs {"Dynamite","Crazy", "The cat crept in", "Tiger feet"} and some complete dross. I used to know a guy that worked with one of them {I can't recall if it was Ray Stiles or Rob Davies. I know his name began with R}. He had played the drums in the old days so he gravitated towards musicians. He gave me some very interesting background on Mud's early days over the years I used to deliver stuff to the building he was in. I used to dread going there because this guy never shut up once he started. You think I go on endlessly, you should've heard Bobby Day !

Back