Drum panning - when and why?

famous beagle

Just curious if anyone knows when it started becoming standard practice to pan drums in a stereo spectrum with the toms out wide - and why.

It's always sounded very unnatural to me to have the toms bouncing hard back and forth between the speakers like that, since just about everyone listening to a drumset (except for the drummer kind of) normally hears the drums as basically a mono instrument.

I much prefer the sound of older records where the drums are in mono like the other instruments.

I mean ... I can understand recording an instrument in stereo if it's a solo piano piece or something because there's nothing else. But when you hear a band play, you never hear the drums like that.

I know recording doesn't have to represent reality (and I'm glad for that), but I was just wondering why stereo drums have become the norm as opposed to the exception.

Any thoughts?

are we talking about stereo overheads (which I pretty much always do), or wide panning individual tom tracks, or both?

Greg: Thanks for that

anti-chef: I guess either/or. My point is that, to the live listener, drums are pretty much a mono sound source, just like a guitar cabinet. So why is it that they're always recorded in stereo now when guitars (for example) aren't always? I know that lots of people use stereo guitars as well, which I really hate. I mean, if it's two different guitars (tones, performances) playing the same part but panned wide, I can understand it a bit more. But the thought that any rhythm guitar track has to be in stereo "just because" is nonsense IMHO. Obviously to each his own though.

I guess I've never noticed they're panning em like that now.
I don't.
My OH's are probably at around 9 and 3 o'clock and my toms are panned about where I hear them as I drum. Left tom at about 11 o'clock, right at around 2 and floor close to hard pan but backed off a skosh.
Seems natural.

Stereo drums have become the norm because it gives them a bigger presence. In rock or heavy music, having one tiny little sliver of mono drum track usually sounds like shit. Sure it's fine for oldies and weak jazz and/or sleepy boring blues. But in rock music, you want big huge drums. And since when does a recording have to mimic live? The whole point of multitrack recording is to do something better than just hanging a mic in a room.

I can't imagine a singular "rule" that says drums should be mixed this way or that way. Each recording / mix is different and many mixes that feature drums are much better if panned properly while others sound better centered. A large drum "sound" or kit does need some panning (not terribly wide)..............in my opinion only. I don't think the average listener would care either way.

Yeah, I mean ... I guess I know why they did it. When more channels/tracks became available, they started using them on the drum kit because it has so many different sounds on it. And they wanted to make each part more audible, so they started processing them differently and spreading them out in the spectrum, etc.

But to me that just kind of sounds more like a "because we can" argument rather than because it makes more sense, sonically speaking.

To each his own, I guess. I guess I just prefer the sound of the oldies, weak jazz, and/or sleepy boring blues. I really hate that steroided-out big pristine drum sound. But I'm obviously in the minority.

Yeah, I mean ... I guess I know why they did it. When more channels/tracks became available, they started using them on the drum kit because it has so many different sounds on it. And they wanted to make each part more audible, so they started processing them differently and spreading them out in the spectrum, etc.

But to me that just kind of sounds more like a "because we can" argument rather than because it makes more sense, sonically speaking.

To each his own, I guess. I guess I just prefer the sound of the oldies, weak jazz, and/or sleepy boring blues. I really hate that steroided-out big pristine drum sound. But I'm obviously in the minority.

No, you're just old fashioned. Everything has it's place. Big detailed metal drums would sound stupid on a jazz recording, just like small, simple, mono jazz drums would sound stupid on a modern metal track.

To be fair, it's usually the fake, sampled, programmed drums that have the horrible panning tendencies that you describe. And I agree with you there. Nothing sounds stupider than a dry isolated crash banging away in one ear. Bad and/or unrealistic drum panning is a common problem with home recordings. It's marginally better with pro mixes. A smart, properly done stereo overhead setup and panning the close miked toms accordingly with the stereo overheads sounds great. Taking it too far can sound ridiculous, but that goes for anything. Not just drums.

Any thoughts?
Plenty !
Just curious if anyone knows when it started becoming standard practice to pan drums in a stereo spectrum with the toms out wide - and why.
I would hazard a guess that it was the late 1960s/early 70s when 8 tracks took over from 4 tracks as the big boys in town. Although 8 track machines existed in the 50s, it was as young mens' musical imaginations expanded and different kinds of songs were being written to express these new experiences and new sounds were being sought to convey this in a sonic medium. This is reflected not only in the instruments themselves {mellotrons, synthesizers, the rise of the bass guitar...} but in the use of a huge range of instruments and the way they were being recorded and mixed. Some ways of panning didn't really survive.
I read somewhere that the Motown engineers were the first to routinely put vocals, bass and drums in the centre.
It's always sounded very unnatural to me to have the toms bouncing hard back and forth between the speakers like that, since just about everyone listening to a drumset (except for the drummer kind of) normally hears the drums as basically a mono instrument.
I've never met anyone that translates their live listening to records. When I used to listen to records, they just were. Although by the time I was 14 I had begun to notice panning, I never questioned it. I thought it was cool and obviously to have noticed it it must have made an imprint on me but I never thought it was out of the ordinary or out of place or weird.
I have a mate from Zambia who is both a drummer and producer/engineer and he taught this little trick with the toms. Pan the floor tom 20 and the highest sounding tom 15% left and the other tom 17~22% right {or whatever percentage you choose; I just threw that one out arbitrarily !} and you get this fantastic effect when all the toms are being run across.
Well, it's fantastic if you like it, which I do. But I also don't use it on every tune.
I much prefer the sound of older records where the drums are in mono like the other instruments.
I love the sound of older records. But then I love the sound of records of every era, even now. I'm swayed by my love of the song, not how it was mixed.
I can understand recording an instrument in stereo if it's a solo piano piece or something because there's nothing else. But when you hear a band play, you never hear the drums like that.
But in a way, you do. If the drums are miked you can sometimes hear them spread wide, depending on the person doing the sound and on where you are and the PA set up. When I'm recording with drummers, because of the room we record in {my kids' bedroom}, I sit on the high hat side and that definitely minimises what I hear on the floor tom side. When I'm placing the mics and my mates are playing, if I'm central, the right hand toms are definitely heard clearer by my left ear and vice versa.{
I know recording doesn't have to represent reality (and I'm glad for that)
And that's the thing that many of us overlook or don't really think about. All of the arguments about recording the group live vs overdubbing, where the instruments would be on stage, authenticity, overdubbing, sims, amps, VSTis, clicks, which mic to use etc, they're fun to have and all, but in the ultimate analysis, fairly irrelevant because we are creating an artificial soundworld. No band or orchestra sets up in your front room or car and plays through two boxes. So each recordist has the freedom to create their own soundworld. It has little to do with reality. We enhance sonic "reality". Why ? Because as was said earlier, it sounds "better".

I know that lots of people use stereo guitars as well, which I really hate. I mean, if it's two different guitars (tones, performances) playing the same part but panned wide, I can understand it a bit more. But the thought that any rhythm guitar track has to be in stereo "just because" is nonsense IMHO.
Pretty much all of the things that we see in the present day, recording wise, are logical outcomes of progression. When recording first began, it was one mic picking up multiple sources in one space. That's as basic as it is possible to be, kind of like the amoeba of recording history.
But human beings aren't designed to stand still. Sooner or later our curiosity, for better or worse, causes us to try different things. What will happen if I eat this ? What will happen if I light this and inhale it ? What will happen if I stretch this skin and hit it in the centre ? Or at the edge ? Or in between ? Hmmm, what if I record a piano on this machine, then play back and record on a second machine that recording of the piano plus me playing a guitar......? Hey look ! If I then record me on that recording of me on piano and guitar while I sing and play bongos, I can have a one man band at my leisure. Now what if I add another piano part.......

To answer your question, often if people like the sound or effect of a particular way of doing things {eg, stereo guitars}, they'll try it and keep with it.
Until they their curiosity pushes them to try something else....

And since when does a recording have to mimic live? The whole point of multi~track recording is to do something better than just hanging a mic in a room.
The idea that music somehow loses it's soul and integrity if a lot of time is taken to record it and lots of it is done separately has never made sense to me and still doesn't. I think multi~tracking is easily the most important development in the whole of popular music history.

I can't imagine a singular "rule" that says drums should be mixed this way or that way.
Well, there isn't. But certain practices catch on. I mean, look how many people routinely compress the bass guitar. In recording, there aren't rules as such, just many, many finely tried and tested ways of doing things.

In a sense, "because we can" is a valid reason for trying something new. It may not sound good, it might. There have been many new ways of recording or mixing something that only caught on for a short while and were never really returned to.

Yes, as you said, there aren't any rules --- just conventions. And so it all basically boils down to preference.

I guess it just makes sense to me to think of the drum kit as one collective instrument (as opposed to a bunch of separate drums) because that's the way I hear it. And by that I mean when I'm hearing someone play a kit in person in a room (not miked through a sound system). Unless you're the drummer, or you happen to be sticking your face really close to the drums as a listener (which most people don't), the drums just pretty much sound like one sound source (to me).

So to me it just makes more sense when I hear them that way on a recording. It sounds more natural to me --- in other words, it sounds more as if I'm in the room listening to a band play or something.

However, I'm not a purist at all, and I can totally dig people experimenting with recordings. I dig that. I know that recording doesn't need to represent reality (nor do I think it needs to or should).

My whole thing was just really why it's become the norm really -- not why it was arrived at in the first place.

I think the real question here is "do you mix from the drummer's perspective or the audience" AND do you pan the snare and hi-hat off center???

I do just enough mixes that end up accompanying videos that I start with a more or less literal panning approach. Panning that reinforces the image seems to work best. I do like wide-ish drums, but I like them a bit inside from the guitars or whatever other instruments are hard panned. I don't want stuff building up at the sides any more than I want it building up in the center. That said, there are those who pan everything hard left/right or dead center.

If the other instruments can be arranged in a symmetrical pattern then I pan the drums in a balanced way, but if the instruments don't lend themselves to that I might let the drums be a little asymmetrical and let the instruments balance them off.

I think the real question here is "do you mix from the drummer's perspective or the audience" AND do you pan the snare and hi-hat off center???

Drummer's and yes and yes, just slightly.... not that I have even the vaguest idea of what I'm "meant" to be doing, as a MIDI drummer... :D

My point is that, to the live listener, drums are pretty much a mono sound source....

It depends.

If the listener is right there up near the kit, it will sound more stereo...so likewise, if you listen to music on your stereo sound system and then move 20 feet back, it will sound more mono.

If you hang a stereo pair of OH mics above a kit....you will not get some weird hard left/right panning of the individual drums....what you get is an accurate representation of the kit from the mic's perspective.

Now, does that sound better than say, sticking a single mic way out in front for more of that audience perspective....?
That's your choice, but there's not real right/wrong way to do it.
I don't *pan* the drums anywhere other than where the stereo OH say they should go....and if I have individual mics on the drums, I pan those to line up pretty much with the image the OH mics are hearing.

Personally, I like the bigger/wider sounding kit than having everything folded in at dead center. I even like to open up the Kick and Snare just a smidgen, so that they are not right on top of each other, as I like the lead vocal/instrument to have that dead center spot all to itself in most cases.

With all the things we do to other tracks AFA production goes and departure from some assumed "reality"....I don't think it matters all that much what you do as long as it sounds good for the final mix of a given song.
There's nothing that says it should be lined up like a live band in some club with you standing 30 feet away and listening at the bar. :)

Drummer's perspective.
Kick - center
Snare - center
Hats - wherever they land in the overheads. I don't mic the hats.

I prefer mixing from the audience perspective AFA which side the HH goes....but it's not that I think of it as " I must mix audience perspective"....it's just that I prefer hearing the HH off to the right rather than left, when I'm mixing. :)

I sometimes don't like the fact that toms can get pushed off to one side for the most part in your typical drum kit setup. When I have my complete studio kit set up, it has dual kick drums and additional toms with an 18" floor that is on the opposite side of the 16" floor.....just to have some of that flavor more evenly balanced....
...but the HH still ends up on the right side of my mix.
AFA the Kick and Snare, as I said in the other post, I like to open them up just a tiny bit....like 11:30 - 12:30....and leave some room for the lead tracks. It's so minor that you would have to keep your head planted dead-center when listening to notice it, but basically they are pretty much "centered".

The funny thing in all of that....my drummer buddy is a lefty! :D
So for him the HH is on the right....which means I end up spinning my M/S OH mics around to make the HH appear on the right side from the mix/audience perspective.

Back