No DAWs Allowed

Buzzard,
Nice bird talk Lt. Bob.
That's a cool mix and the well recorded.
Nothing shabby about your chique'.

MP3 Player SoundClick
This is the 2nd song I recorded to yamaha MT100 4 track in about '87.
The sax solo was done in the shower recess of the bathroom as was the vocal (Terry had to stop singing & pick up the sax then play on).
I did mix this one is a daw - sorry - I uploaded the tracks, added the cymbals ( I did that to craete a wider stereo image) & did a basic mix.

allrite ..... this is the earliest thing of mine I could find with a quick search.
These would be live gigs around 1974 recorded on a Teac 3340.
I was playing bass and singing one of the parts .... and on the Buzzard Song where it sounds like there's two girls singing, I'm one of those babes! :D

The mix would be what I did back then ..... probably using something like A7's to monitor with! :laughings:

Holy crap Bob that stuff is HOT. Buzzard song is like a cowboy mutant Steely Dan lol. Sounds great. Can you still hit those notes, 40 years later?

allrite ..... this is the earliest thing of mine I could find with a quick search.
These would be live gigs around 1974 recorded on a Teac 3340.
I was playing bass and singing one of the parts .... and on the Buzzard Song where it sounds like there's two girls singing, I'm one of those babes! :D

The mix would be what I did back then ..... probably using something like A7's to monitor with! :laughings:

Yesss! This is great stuff...40 years old! You've got a few years on me there pops. :D
So was this just live with two room mics or what? From the same show?
The e. piano is cool as shit....I been wantin' a suitcase Rhodes for awhile but they're pretty pricey these days.

Cool to hear this stuff...thanks for posting it!

MP3 Player SoundClick
This is the 2nd song I recorded to yamaha MT100 4 track in about '87.
The sax solo was done in the shower recess of the bathroom as was the vocal (Terry had to stop singing & pick up the sax then play on).
I did mix this one is a daw - sorry - I uploaded the tracks, added the cymbals ( I did that to craete a wider stereo image) & did a basic mix.

Cool. I recognize the singer from the "Lizard King" song you posted recently (that is him, right?). For some reason the song reminds me a little of Dire Straits' Industrial Disease. Nice sax part too!
Again, this is much more meticulously tracked than most of my old stuff....everything posted so far has been, actually. I kinda wish people were posting rougher quality stuff but either y'all were just Phil Spectors right out of the gate or too embarrassed to post the juicy stuff.

I got all kinds of old stuff on tape somewhere. Two mic recordings with a lot of really poorly recorded direct in guitars.

So gross.

Holy crap Bob that stuff is HOT. Buzzard song is like a cowboy mutant Steely Dan lol. Sounds great. Can you still hit those notes, 40 years later?
Thanks man ..... I can't get as high as I used to although I think I can still hit those notes. I appreciate the kind words.

Yesss! This is great stuff...40 years old! You've got a few years on me there pops. :D
So was this just live with two room mics or what? From the same show?
The e. piano is cool as shit....I been wantin' a suitcase Rhodes for awhile but they're pretty pricey these days.

Cool to hear this stuff...thanks for posting it!
Thanks fleet .... it's weird to think I was doing that so long ago.
It was totally live at a gig ..... I don't know if they were from the same gig or not .... we played a lot and I recorded often. I can't say I specifically remember the details but it would have been my Teac 3340 4-track reel to reel ..... I most likely would have taken a line from the PA to one channel for vox ..... a direct from the bass or perhaps close mic'd but if my amp had a line out I would have used that. And then a direct from the Rhodes I imagine and then 2 or 3 mics on the drumbs. I would have almost surely just done the drums mono .
So probably ( not definite but probably) :
1 channel for vox
2nd channel for bass
3rd channel for Rhodes
4th channel for drums

then I would have mixed it down to a cassette deck.

Thanks fleet .... it's weird to think I was doing that so long ago.
It was totally live at a gig ..... I don't know if they were from the same gig or not .... we played a lot and I recorded often. I can't say I specifically remember the details but it would have been my Teac 3340 4-track reel to reel ..... I most likely would have taken a line from the PA to one channel for vox ..... a direct from the bass or perhaps close mic'd but if my amp had a line out I would have used that. And then a direct from the Rhodes I imagine and then 2 or 3 mics on the drumbs. I would have almost surely just done the drums mono .
So probably ( not definite but probably) :
1 channel for vox
2nd channel for bass
3rd channel for Rhodes
4th channel for drums

then I would have mixed it down to a cassette deck.

It's cool how 4-tracks make you delegate inputs more efficiently...and really consider what was necessary in the song. I mean, you could always bounce down, but then you accumulate hiss. In the mid-90s a lot of indie bands were kind of rediscovering the freedoms of home-taping to cassette and I remember reading an interview with a guy from one of those bands saying that they would bounce so many times that the drums would almost completely go missing, then they'd lay an additional track over the top of banging on a suitcase or something just to fill in the percussion.

On a side note, it seems the homerecording.com servers are running on 4-track today too!

It's cool how 4-tracks make you delegate inputs more efficiently...and really consider what was necessary in the song. I mean, you could always bounce down, but then you accumulate hiss. In the mid-90s a lot of indie bands were kind of rediscovering the freedoms of home-taping to cassette and I remember reading an interview with a guy from one of those bands saying that they would bounce so many times that the drums would almost completely go missing, then they'd lay an additional track over the top of banging on a suitcase or something just to fill in the percussion.

On a side note, it seems the homerecording.com servers are running on 4-track today too!
yeah ..... 4 tracks actually taught you a lot about how things would cut thru in a final mix because once you did it and then recorded anything over those tracks it was done! No mulligans.
So if something ended up not being loud enough .... too damned bad. If a kick drum ended up being way too hot ....... too damned bad.
You HAD to get it right or use EQ tricks to attempt to fix it somewhat but you could only do so much with EQ so it was best to make correct judgements when you did the 'pinging'.

I have some recordings I did around '85 where I pushed the limits of how many tracks I could do by pinging. I have some where I did as many as 14 or 15 tracks ....... take the horns .... ping them down to one ..... take the voxs .... ping them down ..... now take the rhythm section and ping it to a stereo pair ...... that sort of thing.
I did an entire album of songs where I played everything ala Stevie Wonder .......I'll put up a couple of those tonight.

Yeah - really make you PLAN. I used to do a lot like this, and it worked pretty good for me:

1. Mono drums w/bass
2. Guitar
3. Lead Vocal + keys
4. Guitar leads + BG vocal

ps - i would occasionally bounce down to a fresh cassette and move on from there for additional overdubs. very rarely bounce to another track on the same machine.

so it was best to make correct judgements when you did the 'pinging'.

"Ping pong"ing! THAT's the word- totally forgot about that!

ps - i would occasionally bounce down to a fresh cassette and move on from there for additional overdubs. very rarely bounce to another track on the same machine.

Haha, we were so fucking broke, we'd bounce to an ABBAs Greatest Hits cassette with the write-protect notches covered with scotch tape, then back to the original 4-track tape...so the final 4-track recording would have the ghost of ABBA if you listened closely!

Yeah, I'm disappointed. I thought the point was for the recordings to be embarrassing and awful. Everything so far sounds respectable at the very least.

The dropbox links to Bitches Brew and the other thing don't work fleet...?

Listening to vanquish...right now. It's really creepy. I like it. Was that with a bunch of people or just you multitracking?

Yeah, I'm disappointed. I thought the point was for the recordings to be embarrassing and awful. Everything so far sounds respectable at the very least.

The dropbox links to Bitches Brew and the other thing don't work fleet...?

Listening to vanquish...right now. It's really creepy. I like it. Was that with a bunch of people or just you multitracking?

Yeah, I took the covers out of the Dropbox when I put the new one in....I try to run a tight ship. I can put 'em back up if you're really interested but, truthfully, you didn't miss much....they're pretty raw.

'To Vanquish..' was live with a 3-piece band. Yes, I actually got other people to play this fruitcake shit. :D

:eek: You just put those up 8 hours ago?!?

Anyway, that is even more awesome knowing it was live. Reminds me of some of the stuff we did with dark star, but more involved and twisted.

I found my first ever recording. A 1986 live boombox recording. It sounds like complete ass, but kind of funny partly because of it. I can't believe no one is posting up total crap. I think y'all are being a little too selective.

Back