jamstix

J

jokerone

does anybody use jamstix or have a recomendation as to how to get a human drum sound from Battery/EZDrummer/Maschine/Storm Drum/etc.?
(other than using a human, that's cheating.. :D)

Lol. It's funny that home recording has gotten to the point that using an actual human is cheating.

It is when you are a talentless musical twit like me. :D (I think this answers your question about my talents below) :D

Detective Del Spooner: Human beings have dreams. Even dogs have dreams, but not you, you are just a machine. An imitation of life. Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot turn a... canvas into a beautiful masterpiece?
Sonny: [With genuine interest] Can you?

The human feel from a drum program, is hard to get. Thinking like a 'cheating' drummer, is the best way to make it at least useable.

Sorry, you are going to have to cheat, and learn to think like a drummer. I know, it is tough, with all the women around you, worshiping your every step, just because you are a drummer.

Sometimes, you just have to take the good, with the bad man. :)

If you wish to get a human feel from a drum program, you need to think like a drummer. Even then, cheating with a real drummer, will always be better. Unless he sucks. :)

The human feel from a drum program, is hard to get. Thinking like a 'cheating' drummer, is the best way to make it at least useable.

Sorry, you are going to have to cheat, and learn to think like a drummer. I know, it is tough, with all the women around you, worshiping your every step, just because you are a drummer.

Sometimes, you just have to take the good, with the bad man. :)

If you wish to get a human feel from a drum program, you need to think like a drummer. Even then, cheating with a real drummer, will always be better. Unless he sucks. :)

The demos I've watched and the reviews I've read about jamstix are pretty impressive. perhaps not for a real drummer, but for me it looks like the AI is good enough.

take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSIsa916NRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h6GoixOQtU

To each, there is a set of useable programs. As a drummer, I scoff at them, because I know that this does not sound 'real'. Whether that is something that works for you, as a musician/songwriter, is not really for me to decide. If it works for what you are doing, the yes, it may be for you. But, realize there is a s**t ton of hype, based upon selling the software to those who do not play drums. Sounds good in theory, but you will soon realize, that 'cheating' with a real drummer is much easier. Well, as long as he shows up on time. lol!

Oh, and have you listened to the samples played on the videos you posted? I am not a fan at all myself. I am not you however.

What style of music are you looking to use a drum program for anyway?

I turned the first vid off as soon as the guy said "groove".

Yeah, I made my way though it though...

It does have something to offer those who have no opportunity to find a drummer that is worth a shizzle. We can't just assume that drums are easy for everyone.

That being said, the program is based upon giving a user with no experience, a way to find a 'groove' to play with. lol! I just puked a bit..

Really, I understand your need to have a drum track to play with, and it is not a bad thing to learn from, nor is it not something you can't use to make a good recording. Just keep in mind, that any program will not play 'with' you. You will need to learn to program it yourself. Or find a drummer.

Yeah, I made my way though it though...

It does have something to offer those who have no opportunity to find a drummer that is worth a shizzle. We can't just assume that drums are easy for everyone.

Fo sho. I have no problem with this program thing. I don't care what people do. Being a gigging and recording drummer myself, programs like this just prove how fucking bad ass I really am. :D

Well, not only learning to play drums, but then we've got to learn how to record them. :( That don't happen overnight.

Scoff at my EZD, but I think I'm getting fairly decent results. Aren't I?? :o

Someday i want to buy edrums to trigger samples, but that's a few years away, still.

For the OP, I've been using EZD for a few years now. It has a humaniz function, but sometimes I think they "humanize" it like a dog would. The trick with something like that is to get your basic drum track down, maybe by dragging canned groove files from the VSTi, then go through and edit almst every hit. Change velocity, timing, hits, crashes, etc, just as a drummer would. Remember a drummer only has two arms and two legs, though sometimes I like to think I'm programming for two drummers. :D

There is a bunch of posts on this site, that may help you. Do a search of key words like 'programming drums', or 'EZ Drummer'.

You will be best served, by serving yourself with members that have asked similar questions.

Here is a thread to start with, regarding EZDrummer. Not my favorite, by the way. Addictive Drums are way more 'real' sounding. Even then, I replace them with SS Platinum samples. But I have so much money, that I can't find ways to spend it lol!

Well, not only learning to play drums, but then we've got to learn how to record them. :( That don't happen overnight.

Scoff at my EZD, but I think I'm getting fairly decent results. Aren't I?? :o

Someday i want to buy edrums to trigger samples, but that's a few years away, still.

For the OP, I've been using EZD for a few years now. It has a humaniz function, but sometimes I think they "humanize" it like a dog would. The trick with something like that is to get your basic drum track down, maybe by dragging canned groove files from the VSTi, then go through and edit almst every hit. Change velocity, timing, hits, crashes, etc, just as a drummer would. Remember a drummer only has two arms and two legs, though sometimes I like to think I'm programming for two drummers. :D

I would never 'scoff' at the Chili. Every sample has it's place, when used appropriately. But we all know the limitations of our muses. Well, once we learn to take them to their limits.

Again, to each their own. Not everyone is trying to get metal tracks from EZD. Thankfully, that has stepped back a bit. EZD can be great for many styles.

Very correct, it takes a whole lot more than a programmed 'groove' to make a song work. To make it fit your song, you need to think like a drummer. Oh hell, did I just say that? Ok, forget about scoring with your guitar players sister, and selling your guitar players hair.

Programming drums, is best done by knowing what a drummer would/can play.

Last edited:
Oh, and have you listened to the samples played on the videos you posted? I am not a fan at all myself. I am not you however.

What style of music are you looking to use a drum program for anyway?

Reggae/Dub Roots Reggae. thanks.

If I were you, I would look into purchasing Addictive Drums. Try the demo. It is much more natural in respect to sounding like drums you would have in your genre. EZD is really tough to work with in my opinion, as far as getting out of the box for unique sounds.

Though, I obviously have no concerns as to finances, because I have drank a few really strong beers. lol!

:facepalm:

Back