Recommend A Computer To A Schmuck

That Mac mini the same spec and year as my MBP, except I have 4gb ram.
I'm currently using the MBP as my main computer and it is fantastic, but I'm aware of it getting pretty hot during heavier sessions.

Put it this way, It's fine for now, but I don't think it'll be too long before I invest in new dedicated desktop computer.
I'm not sure that I'd wanna track 16 simultaneous channels on my MBP, but who knows.

Build your own...you can spec out an awesome pc that will run just as good if not better than the name brand(dell, hp, ect.) and cheaper.

The reason I started to consider the iMac was because I keep reading about how important it is to get up to 7200rpm. It seems that when you get the Mac Mini up to that, you're into the $1000 range anyway, so why not go the next step?

I'd be interested in "specing(?)" a great PC, but I'm not sure where to go about doing that online.
My only other resevervation with a PC is that people seem to think the Macs as being more stable for recording right out of the box, which is very appealing.

That Mac mini the same spec and year as my MBP, except I have 4gb ram.
I'm currently using the MBP as my main computer and it is fantastic, but I'm aware of it getting pretty hot during heavier sessions.

which one, the 2010 one or the new one?

i've not tried 16 tracks on my MBP yet but i've had 12 tracks and had no problems and didn't notice any excessive heat (although my old 2008 MB white got pretty hot with 16 tracks)

Mines actually early 2011, but it specs out the same as that 2010 mini.
Harold. 7200 is just the hard drive speed.

I hate that they charge a fortune for what I would consider the basic, standard drive.
5400 drives have no real excuse for existing tbh.

Anything other than in an imac, I'd recommend fitting your own drive, post-purchase.

Last edited:
Recording computerz

Hey Man

Unfortunately you get what you pay for. If you get a cheap system you will have problems.

I suggest you get a PC they are cheaper for the better models
(Apple have a strangle hold on everything that goes into an apple computer)

Get a processor that has at least 5 or 7 core processor.
As much RAM as you can afford
A good video card I like ones similar to those used by gamers
a top of the range audio card
and an extra USB input output card for the bits you want to plug in.
The main board should be at least mid range so it will support what you are
about to try and do on it ie. record 24 tracks similtaniously.
This is going to use quite a bit of your RAM and processing power so don't skimp on these bits.

Oh one last thing but a desent fan in the system, I recommend an additional fan on the case to get
rid of any processing heat.

I hope that helps?
ciao
BronwynH

Last edited:
Yeah, I went and lost my mind and bought a new iMac. 8 gigs of ram. My wallet hates me. But, I needed something stable and quick. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge, folks. I am excited to transition from a stand-alone to a full on DAW. Now, I just have to finish building the base traps.

Cheers!

Save your money. There's an app for that. :)

although it does have a tendency to think for you sometimes. i've had to edit countless posts for autocorrect spelling fails.

and Harold, welcome to the world of macs, you won't be disappointed :D

Last edited:
yeah, i get the red underline on words that are spelt sooooo wrong that even apple in it's infinite wisdom doesn't know what the heck i mean! :D

i'm sure there's a way to turn off autocorrect but i'm lazy and my spelling is ropey at best :p

lol, also just saw the "filming nightmare". well played sir

and you should, it takes a lot of hard work and determination to spell like an average 6 year old (i say 6 year old, but by today's standards it's more like the average 14 year old). :D hell, i had to google "determination" as i spelt it so wrong it came up as "No guesses found" :p

OP didn't mention which interfaces. If they are supported in Linux, a generic PC with decent specs and 64Studio or Ubuntu studio is a decent way to go. The software is free* (I think you are supposed to pay what you feel you can afford for Ardour) but most importantly is pre-optimized for multimedia, (and low latency) so you don't have to fiddle about getting MS Windows to behave.

:facepalm:

There's a limit, man! lol.

lol, in my defence i did go to bed straight after that as it was 2 am and i had just consumed enough prescription painkillers to sedate Keith Richards for a week.

And jin, although he didn't mention an interface he did end up with an iMac and Reaper (although Ardour is pretty cool, and the Harrison Mixbus looks awesome!)

OP didn't mention which interfaces. If they are supported in Linux, a generic PC with decent specs and 64Studio or Ubuntu studio is a decent way to go. The software is free* (I think you are supposed to pay what you feel you can afford for Ardour) but most importantly is pre-optimized for multimedia, (and low latency) so you don't have to fiddle about getting MS Windows to behave.

From page 1:

The two Interfaces I have purchased are a Focusrite Octopre MK II Dynamic, and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

:laughings: i even remember reading this in the very first page and thinking "hmmm, firewire cards, the mac mini may be the right route"

either way, you've got the iMac now and i'm pretty sure it'll serve you very well :)

Back