DP-24 - I love it (so far)

DP24 Freezes/Locks up no matter what sd card you use in 24bit depth mode

Been using Roland Vstudio 700 i/o and control surface for a few years now,decided after reading about the new DP24 it would be a great tool/sketchpad for recording new ideas quickly,and I would be able to transfer the wavefiles to the daw if I desire,so I purchased one.Recordings in 16 bit mode sd card works fine,its when you switch to 24bit depth that all hell breaks loose,i tossed the crappy sd card that came with it and purchased a 16gb sandisk Ultra 10 class SD card hoping to solve the freezing/lock up of the machine,when working in 24 bit mode I was only able to record 2 or 3 tracks before the machine just locks up,and there is no response even pushing and holding the power button … you have to unplug the power supply in order to reboot the dp24
at this point you will either have totally lost your track data,or the sd card is unusable until you put the sd card into a computer and reformat it,then you can use it again in the dp24.I read a review from someone on amazon.com who purchased 2 units and had similar issues,he apparently talked to someone at Tascam,they are aware of the problem with the dp24,but don't seem to be too concerned to get a firmware update/fix out very quickly,it bothers me a great deal that they rushed this product to the market with such a severe problem left unchecked and now don't seem to care about releasing a timely fix.
Except for slight background hiss after the dp24 boots,and the already mentioned lock up dilemma,I think very highly of the product,its a true bargain for what you can get one for online,just hope they solve the problem soon!
*UPDATE*
Been experimenting and the dp24 has been working quite nicely with 24bit/48khz,it is only crashing with 24bit/44.1khz setting

Last edited:
Been using Roland Vstudio 700 i/o and control surface for a few years now,decided after reading about the new DP24 it would be a great tool/sketchpad for recording new ideas quickly,and I would be able to transfer the wavefiles to the daw if I desire,so I purchased one.Recordings in 16 bit mode sd card works fine,its when you switch to 24bit depth that all hell breaks loose,i tossed the crappy sd card that came with it and purchased a 16gb sandisk Ultra 10 class SD card hoping to solve the freezing/lock up of the machine,when working in 24 bit mode I was only able to record 2 or 3 tracks before the machine just locks up,and there is no response even pushing and holding the power button … you have to unplug the power supply in order to reboot the dp24
at this point you will either have totally lost your track data,or the sd card is unusable until you put the sd card into a computer and reformat it,then you can use it again in the dp24.I read a review from someone on amazon.com who purchased 2 units and had similar issues,he apparently talked to someone at Tascam,they are aware of the problem with the dp24,but don't seem to be too concerned to get a firmware update/fix out very quickly,it bothers me a great deal that they rushed this product to the market with such a severe problem left unchecked and now don't seem to care about releasing a timely fix.
Except for slight background hiss after the dp24 boots,and the already mentioned lock up dilemma,I think very highly of the product,its a true bargain for what you can get one for online,just hope they solve the problem soon!
*UPDATE*
Been experimenting and the dp24 has been working quite nicely with 24bit/48khz,it is only crashing with 24bit/44.1khz setting

hell yeah............ I thought it was me I sent the last recorder back to Sweetwater thinking it was the recorder. I got the new one ....having the same problems......I will try the 24/48 on my next sesson.

I've had the DP-24 for just a couple days now. First impression is that it's a very sweet box for the money. Effects aren't very good, but I didn't expect them to be. I'll be mixing/mastering in Sonar. So far, I've tried a generic 32GB Class 10 card from Amazon, and a PNY card... also 32GB Class 10. So far so good, but I haven't tried recording lots of tracks yet. Most I've done is 4 stereo tracks (recording one stereo pair at a time) from my keyboard. 24/48 sounds great.

Having a problem similar to some of the earlier posts in this thread when I try to sync Sonar as slave using MTC. The "now" time in Sonar is jerky, and Sonar midi playback will start/stop randomly. If I try to record midi in Sonar while slaved to the DP-24 with MTC, I can only record a few bars and Sonar will just drop out of record mode. If I switch to "Clock" mode on the Tascam (midi sync in Sonar) and match the tempos on both units, it seems to work OK. But it seems I always have to start with both units at the beginning of the song for them to sync... song position pointer from the DP-24 doesn't seem to be recognized by Sonar. If I set them for MTC, Sonar tries to start from the song position on the DP-24, but with the jerkiness and drop-outs it is totally unusable. I wouldn't even try to sync a project with audio in Sonar. The audio will stay in the DP-24 until its time to fly it all into Sonar for mixing/processing/mastering.

I tried this on both my laptop and my "main" desktop DAW with exactly the same result. It looks like the DP-24's MTC transmit feature is flaky. Midi clock should be OK for my purposes, but the song position pointer problem is going to be irritating.

It doesn't look like there is any way to set the DP-24 to slave to an external clock source. Remote control of transport and effects select, yes... but clock? No.

This thing is daunting, the manual is daunting, but I'm up for the challenge. My previous recording experience only includes a cassette recorder w/mic that I got for Christmas in 1970 when I was eight, so the learning curve is steep, but the machine is intuitive. I'm taking a "play with the buttons then check the manual if I can't figure out what I just did" approach, and I'm getting good results.

Not wanting to buy a dedicated basement studio computer, an interface, and software, I bought this for the purpose of recording acoustic drums very inexpensively, and to use as a rudimentary PA board w/powered monitors for vocals during basement jams. Mainly it's for recording drums, and after only two days I'm pretty excited by the results I'm getting. I had worried about whether or not the EQ and compression would get the job done, but it is. It's not sophisticated enough to set narrow notch filters to eliminate various ringing tones, so good drum tuning practices are required if you want to keep it all within this unit, but I'm having no trouble cutting, boosting, and shaping the freqs I need to get killer sounding drums. Simple and effective. The eight XLR inputs are fantastic, phantom power for my overhead condensors works nicely, and all is good. I have ten mics on my kit so I'm using an $80 four channel Peavey mixer to get four mics into two inputs on the Tascam, but that was an easy workaround.

Quite an impressive machine for the money. I bought a Sandisk Extreme 32GB 45MB/s Class 10 SDHC card for plenty of recording time and it's working well, however I haven't delved into processing parameters so I think I haven't gone beyond 16-bit yet.

There aren't too many people talking about this machine yet, or YouTube tutorials (much to my chagrin), but what's been posted on this thread was helpful to me. Perhaps this will be somewhat helpful to a Googling drummer in a similar circumstance. I'm sure I'll have more to say as I learn the machine.

Last edited:
I've received my DP-24 today and I had to face the first dissapointment. Listening to de demosong through my headphones, I've recognized a terrible hiss (all faders and pots to zero) is coming out of the headphone amp. I'm surprised that no one mentioned it before, or am I the only with this problem????

I've received my DP-24 today and I had to face the first dissapointment. Listening to de demosong through my headphones, I've recognized a terrible hiss (all faders and pots to zero) is coming out of the headphone amp. I'm surprised that no one mentioned it before, or am I the only with this problem????

I don't have that. Maybe try grounding the unit?

I'm surprised that no one mentioned it before, or am I the only with this problem????

If you would take the time to read posts in this thread,would see that I did mention it,see the post titled Dp24 FREEZES,the good news is that the hiss is only coming from the headphone opamp in the DP24, and when you make a recording and listen to the final 2 track mix on the sd card on another device besides the DP24,the hiss is not in the recording:guitar:

Does this include the "Monitor Level" pot down to zero (full CCW)? Are your faders adjusted to zero when listening to the demo song and if not try starting with the Monitor Level at zero, setting the faders at zero and then bringing up the Monitor Level to a suitable listening level. If the faders are set too low you may be bringing up the gain of the Monitor Level which could introduce hiss.

I tried the reverse of this tonight and got the hiss, so that was a good suggestion. If my track faders and stereo faders are around zero and my headphone volume is around 50%, I don't notice the hiss. My headphones are pretty efficient (A/T ATH-M50s), so it could be different with less efficient headphones needing more volume.

Sorry, I've read all the posts in this thread and I'm very very very sorry I've missed yours.

All the pots and faders are in zero position, no song is playing, the unit is only powered on.

"so it could be different with less efficient headphones needing more volume."
I think it's the other way around. Last night I've noticed that, when using my AKG K270 Studio headphones, the hiss is gone.
I hardly use the AKG's on other devices, because most of the time I have to crank up monitor/headphone levels to get a decent sound/volume, but in combination with the DP-24 it sounds perfect.
But I'm still curious to find out if all owner's, of a DP-24, have that hiss when using (in)earphones. If you have Apple earphones (Ipod) please give it a try and let me know.
Thnx

Last edited:
Another inconvenience, the Tascam AC adapter is processing a HUM on the speakers. I've replaced the Tascam adapter by a Skytronic Universal AC adapter and de HUM was gone :-) (the HISS in the phones out is still there).
Nevertheless, I've made my first recording with the Tascam and I have to admit, it works like a breeze.

Well Folks, I have a Yamaha AW4416 which is an older but top notch recorder but I have barely used it because its so complicated. Would I be a lot better off with the Tascam DP24 because even the technical comments about it in this forum leave me somewhat confused. Why do things have to be so complicated, why cant we just record whatever and tweek.

$571 delivered from B & H Photo. Three days now. Everything is fine except:
The discs will not play on my 12-year old car CD player, but I have checked them on a Sony "boombox".

PROBLEM: Although the mix-down signal is PLENTY hot, and Master signal is not.

Have to crank up the Sony to 9- or 10-, when usually, 4- will be plenty loud.

I opened a separate thread on this issue. Hope to have some insight soon.

Well I hate to gush like a shill or something, but this thing is an amazing drum recording system. I'm fifty years old and my previous experience recording drums was nearly thirty years ago, so I missed out on decades of home recording technology, but I'm getting better sounds now than I did at one billionth the cost of recording drums in 1980.

Old news to most of you, I'm sure, but it has turned out to be cheap and easy to add submixers with good preamps if you need to free up slots on the Tascam. I daisy chained two $86 Peavey PV-6s through their tape monitor inputs and outputs, and was able to gain eight additional XLR inputs. That allowed me to whittle all five of my toms and both of my snare drums down into two inputs on the Tascam, with no audible sound degradation. I couldn't believe I was getting away with this, so I recorded a few A/B comparisons and couldn't tell the difference.

The reason I did that was so I could use the DP-24 as a PA for a vocal mic when my old guy hobby band rehearses, and so that I could simultaneously use stereo channels 13 and 14 to run my iPod for daily practice sessions and for when my old guy band needs training wheels while practicing cover tunes. Live monitoring through the 1/4" outputs, clean, good, no audible latency whatsoever. I've been waiting for the other shoe to fall, but so far so good.

Best $599 I've spent since that one time in Tijuana.

For those interested in Tascam DP 24 External effect processor connect to your DP 24, here is an answer I got from Tascam Support

Hello Jonathan,

Most people will use an external processor after most of their tracks have been completed so that they can use inputs A thru H for tracking. You can at any time use one or two of those inputs which you'll need to for using the Lexicon. All you have to do is press the Assign (to the left of the screen) button and then press the Stereo Select button (above the master fader) and press the input buttons for the input. At that point you can select the inputs that you wish to use from the outputs of the Lexicon. The input knobs will control the return level. On the back of the DP-24 there are two effect send jacks will go to your Lexicon inputs. The Master send in the Channel screen control what goes out of that channel to the processor and the input knobs determine the return of the external effect.

Regards
Brian
Tascam support

Tascam DP 24 External Effect Processor connection

Hello

Most people will use an external processor after most of their tracks have been completed so that they can use inputs A thru H for tracking. You can at any time use one or two of those inputs which you'll need to for using the Lexicon. All you have to do is press the Assign (to the left of the screen) button and then press the Stereo Select button (above the master fader) and press the input buttons for the input. At that point you can select the inputs that you wish to use from the outputs of the Lexicon. The input knobs will control the return level. On the back of the DP-24 there are two effect send jacks will go to your Lexicon inputs. The Master send in the Channel screen control what goes out of that channel to the processor and the input knobs determine the return of the external effect.

Regards
Brian
Tascam support

Well kick me down a flight of stairs!

Two weeks ago I completed a long-awaited upgrade, from my DP-008 (which I still love) to a new 2488neo. I knew nothing about the DP-24. I did wonder at the time why so few stores had the neo in stock.

Don't get me wrong, so far my new 2488neo is working out great. But reading about the DP-24's color screen and lighter weight, I can't help but have a bit of buyer's remorse.

Too bad the manual isn't a little more detailed with scenarios and solutions. I've been recording drums for about a week now and have had issues with tom heads resonating when I play the bass drum, and just now I realized that "Noise Suppression" is a noise gate which works well, is highly adjustable, and totally fixed my problem. I guess I thought "Noise Suppression" would be something like a basic hiss remover like the old analog Dolby Noise Reduction, so I had ignored it.

I suppose the manual would look like the Manhattan phone book if it covered everything with great detail, but there could be just a little more "if you press this button or turn that knob, this is what it will do" for us newbs. No matter, as long as I can keep figuring out solutions to each issue as it arises, I'm good. It's like an Easter egg hunt.

Edit: Snap! It doesn't look like I can use compression and noise suppression on one input at the same time. Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Back