First YouTube video from my band, The Jongleurs...

Armistice

Son of Yoda
Oh look, that's us on the right of screen ----> :cool:

Obviously something I don't know about screen resolutions for this, hence lack of widescreen - there's always something...

Feedback appreciated...

For a first clip, it is fine.

My general thoughts are that it is bit overloaded with visual effects. That is not necessarily a bad thing . . .but you have to match the song with the visuals, and I wasn't convinced that the song warranted the pyschedelic effect, which would have been more in keeping with a big rock type of song.

The still images were well selected and well placed.

The one camera recording the pair of you is okay for a foundation layer (which is basically what you did, cutting in the stills) . . . but it became too much after a while. So what you can think about is doing several takes, using different angles and directions. You can then cover up the first camera's panning and zooming by sticking other clips over the top.

This is a melancholy, moody song . . . and I think that sense of moodiness could me more emphasized with lighting, shadows, and a less static positioning of the duo. It's not as if you are replicating a performance (because the rest of the band is invisible), so you can be more free in your positioning . . . for example, sitting more facing each other and playing to each other . . . and using close-ups for the more significant lyrics.

Anyway . . . just my quick first reaction.

I liked it! :) I got all of the pictures too, except for the one of the bomb at the end. What did that mean?

That's the bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima - the ultimate piece of damage....

Thanks g-man.

Gecko - yeah, but I like colours... hard enough to get co-band member in this one, so baby steps... cheers

I like GZ's comments about how to relate the video to the song. Great song, by the way. The vibe of the video doesn't match the song. I like the ideas of using more shadows, less flood lighting and going for a dramatic effect. Different angles, different takes, more movement. It doesn't have to be extravagant to be effective.

The psychodelic effects work for me, though. If you can't put more energy into production, then this is a good trade-off. And I know how difficult it can be to get a simple video shot and edited. I'm still working on one with the kids.... :(

The stills worked, too. Placed well to follow the lyrics.

Thanks Chilli... very much learning in this space. Failed to overcome the temptation to try every colour in the paintbox all at once... If I can get other half of band to commit a bit more time and energy I'm sure I can knock out something more "pro" next time... :D

The one camera recording the pair of you is okay for a foundation layer (which is basically what you did, cutting in the stills) . . . but it became too much after a while. So what you can think about is doing several takes, using different angles and directions. You can then cover up the first camera's panning and zooming by sticking other clips over the top.

This is a melancholy, moody song . . . and I think that sense of moodiness could me more emphasized with lighting, shadows, and a less static positioning of the duo. It's not as if you are replicating a performance (because the rest of the band is invisible), so you can be more free in your positioning . . . for example, sitting more facing each other and playing to each other . . . and using close-ups for the more significant lyrics..

Yeah the two of you up against the wall... it's too much, I would take out 2/3 of those clips and replace them with new footage. The boxed full-frontal shot has no character.

With the mood of the song, I kept picturing you guys sitting, maybe in a studio, outside, many different places, then the camera kind of floats by you and you effectively pan through the scene. You don't hardly look at the camera (maybe just once in a while at a critical lyric), like the camera comes up from the back catching your side, and you are singing looking at a point in front of you and moves along by you around the front of you and continues on as it fades into the next picture or whatever.

The colors don't bother me, but for some reason those long shots of you guys just seem a bit uncomfortable. It's too rigid, the shots need to flow more.

If I was down under I would come shoot that mofo.

I think the effects were generally good. It adds variety to the shots of the band standing there, and it's a well-established technique. (e.g. almost every video shot before the 90s that didn't have a budget for actors, costumes, and sets.)

The thing that I didn't like was the still shots directly correlating to the lyrics. I think that videos tend to be better when there isn't a direct connection between lyrics and images. I actually liked the bomb shot the best as it was the most subtle and indirect.

I like the song- lyrics are just enigmatic enough to keep my interest. Perhaps the visual effects are over-done, and a bit distracting, but the thing I would like to see changed is, get rid of the two guitarist standing in front of the wall stuff. I hear drums and probably a bass, so I am guessing your band is more than a duo- even if it is, get the drummer and bassist (or recruit one if it's virtual drum and bass) back and video the whole band playing the song. More than one camera angle, too. Use THAT in place of the up-against-the-wall shots.

Hi - thanks for all the comments - some useful pointers and ideas for next time.

Essentially I had about 15 minutes of me and co-band member's time to film the "up against the wall" thing and the point was to see what I could achieve with the camera and video software with that... a learning experience.

It was never intended to be a cinematic meisterwerk... ;)

The wall stuff was filmed at night from a tripod, in the 4 feet of bare wall I have left in my apartment, hence the flare bit from a halogen downlight above. I have no lights, just the camera and I know jack shit about lighting anyway...

If anyone can recommend some basic lighting / other bits of kit that I can add to the toolbag, I'd be most grateful.

And steveb - the band is just the two of us. I'm also the bass player and "drummer" (which is Addictive Drums via Reaper).

The weird thing about our band, The Jongleurs, is that I'm not even the main singer... the other guy is, however we always seem to end up with my songs being finished, and his not, as I own all the studio recording gear and have more time + the camera, software etc.... He played a guitar line on that song but doesn't sing, which is sort of why he's not exactly miming in the right places.. lol... :D

We're probably 50/50 on songwriting, but Rich, the other guy, sings a few of mine as well as all of his..

So thanks for the tips, I'll get back to this and do it properly one day, I'm sure.. :guitar:

We need a videoing smiley...

clapper-clapper-film-movie-smiley-emoticon-000232-large.gif

I like the video smile.

I'm building up my lighting collection. I am planning to use all fluorescent lights to minimize heat and electricity usage. Most cameras these days have a custom white balance function and that is criticial to maintaining the same tone throughout different shots and scenes.

A couple of panels with 24" lights and some of those CFL lights for spots and close up work. I've seen some good ideas for lighting-on-the-cheap on YouTube.

I've been using new LED lighting and it seems to work fine.

Yeah I like the end picture of *Big Boy* d-a-m-a-g-e! :eek:

I found the vid on utub before I found it here. 'tis good. Could be better but that's a matter of time & experience manily. Little Boy was the best insert I agree - subtle as an H bomb but cool at the same time.
IF this were done professionally but still based on the same video shoot there'd be only a small set of effects but they'd be more radical - like cutting from real to grainy silnet type to reversed etc.
BUT...I quite liked it as it is... the vid left me time and attention to listen whilst being mildly engaged visually. I have a bad habit of FILLING my vid up to compensate for the song - if I keep your eyes & brain busy you will take in the whole bundle of wax & not be too critical of the song & audio type of thing really!

Thanks for the tips on lighting guys... will look into it.

Hey Ray, are you familiar with Stuart Coupe and Laughing Outlaw Records? You're from roughly the same sort of stomping ground as me, I believe...

I use to read his stuff in Ram magazine as a youngster... ended up with his own label in Lewisham. Place seems to be closing down and he's leaving bunches of his label's CDs at the railway station entrance for anyone who wants them... Most of the commuters take one look and because they have never heard of them, they just leave them there... picked up half a dozen on my way past this arv... listening now.

Thanks for your comments.... I guess I'm trying to make videos so there's something to have on YouTube and you can send to people.. and so that they can be mildy engaged visually... it's the music I really care about, and I don't particularly want to be too distracting... guess I achieved that with you! Thanks for your comment....

I came upon Big Boy accidentally, just googling away, it wasn't in the original version, but I just had to fit it in!

Liking the banner too!
The Jongleurs = professional entertainers in England and France during the Middle Ages.

Is this right?

First of all, i love the song. Great arrangement with a constant flow that makes every part "connected" in a way that much music seems to lack. Great lyrics and great vocals. As for the video, I enjoyed it too. I do however second the above suggestions regarding multi-angle filming. The pictures were very relevant but could use some motion effects. As for the psychedelic effects, I can't really decide. The thing is, i LOVE anything psychedelic (partially for reasons I'm not going to elaborate hehe) but if I were to find a connection between them and the content of this song I would have to look really hard. Perhaps the absurdity of topics. However I find psychedelic effects better suited for, well, psychedelic themes.

Overall I enjoyed the video, and especially the song, alot.

The Jongleurs = professional nertainers in England and France during the Middle Ages.
Is this right?

Finally I have something to contribute with. Yes, the jongleurs were performers in the middle ages. They often performed for money and is by many regarded as the first buskers which makes it highly relevant for any musician. I wrote my masters thesis on busking in Australia so I should know :)

Oh no. I BOUGHT a CD from Staurt a couple of months ago & am on the Outlaw mailing list. I'll have to check the last few messages!!!

Back