withdrawal symptoms

Have you got one of those head-shaped things with a mic on either side in stead of ears? Supposed to sound unbelievable.

You probably have one, don't you?

But that's what I would buy if I wouldn't know what else to buy... Well, not if allready had one. Just if I didn't. But I'm supposing you do, which leaves you in the tight position you are in now. But on the off chance you don't, you might wan't to concider it.

Can I just see a pic of your mic collection? I mean, jeebus man.

I envision a never-ending walk-in closet that sings a song that sounds like angels every time you open the door and a little cherub takes your hand and walks you along pointing out which mic you should use... The closet is guarded by three-headed Tirlygirs (part tiger, part lion & part giraffe) that eat anyone that try to pass and should the unworthy somehow make it into this mystical closet of awesomeness, the microphones themselves form together like Voltron and pulverize the violator while recording the tune in super high fidelity.

I think I should go to sleep now.

So you've been spying on me huh?

Have you got one of those head-shaped things with a mic on either side in stead of ears? Supposed to sound unbelievable.

You probably have one, don't you?

But that's what I would buy if I wouldn't know what else to buy... Well, not if allready had one. Just if I didn't. But I'm supposing you do, which leaves you in the tight position you are in now. But on the off chance you don't, you might wan't to concider it.

You mean a stereo microphone? You got a picture of one?

Here's a partial list of mine and a couple pictures. I would like to ogle your list and pictures as well.

Ribbons

Shure 330 Unidirectional (x2)
Shure 315
Steffens M-160 (made by Beyerdynamic for German churches in the 60s)
Steffens M-260 (made by Beyerdynamic for German churches in the 60s)
Beyerdynamic M-500 Cavetone Studios crazy tube and ribbon mics
Oktava ML 52 w/Lundahl

Condenser

Oktava MKL 2500 (Tube, Oktavamod and Tula PSU)
Oktava MK-219 (x2)
AudioTechnica ATM33R
MXL 2003
Naiant MSH-1 (x2)
Naiant MSH-4 (tube)

Dynamic

Beyerdynamic
M69 (x2)
M81 (x2)
M 300 Cavetone mics oh my my
M 640 N

Shure

SM7 (original)
SM54
SM 58 (x2, US)
SM59
SM61

8L Prologue
55S (x2, original)
545 Unidyne III
548 Unidyne IV (just lovely)

PE 85L
PE 548V Unidyne IV

Electrovoice

RE-11
RE-20

MC 100
MC 300 (x2)
MC 500 (x3)

N/D 257B
N/D 308
N/D 357

647 CLS
664 (x2)
729 (Ceramic)

PL 68
PL 95

Others

AKG D880M
AKG D1000E

AKG D8000S
Audio Technica ATM 27HE (MIJ by Sony)
AudioTechnica ATM 25
AudioTechnica Pro25
Audix OM-1 (original)
Fostex M301 (Beyer copy)
McCannon 50D
Model 766H
Realistic Highball (US)
Realistic 33-1070D (EV clone)
Sennheiser E835

Carbon Element Telephone Mics (x2)
ElectroVoice Model 920 crystal mic
Crazy military grenade mics (crystal, x2)

cavetonemics1.jpg

cavetonemics2.jpg

Moresound, Moresound... You don't need to blow all that mony (Bock, my God). You just get yourself a cheap fix. Pony up the $20.00 for a Behringer XM8500. Take it home and A/B it against every dynamic you have, from an SM57 to your RE20. After you have performed this tiring shootout, and done the blind listening tests, you will perceive several things:

1. You didn't need to lose your shirt to get the fix. It was always about the mic, not the money.

2. The XM8500 doesn't suck nearly as much as you expected, and it will stick around in your mic locker because it actually is- useful.

3. Supermodels are fine, and one can always be had for enough money, but a good cheap whore is sometimes more practical. And when you find a good one, like that $100 guitar with a straight neck... $20.00 and the shakes stopped- What's not to love?-Richie

Here's a partial list of mine and a couple pictures. I would like to ogle your list and pictures as well.

kind of curious if the telephone receivers are a matched pair.... :D that's a crazy collection ya got there. :cool:

Hey Henry, wanna buy a tube SDC?

do those tube mics really make the vocals sound better? like warmer - is it something you can't achieve with a tube preamp?

Moresound, Moresound... You don't need to blow all that mony (Bock, my God). You just get yourself a cheap fix. Pony up the $20.00 for a Behringer XM8500. Take it home and A/B it against every dynamic you have, from an SM57 to your RE20. After you have performed this tiring shootout, and done the blind listening tests, you will perceive several things:

1. You didn't need to lose your shirt to get the fix. It was always about the mic, not the money.

2. The XM8500 doesn't suck nearly as much as you expected, and it will stick around in your mic locker because it actually is- useful.

3. Supermodels are fine, and one can always be had for enough money, but a good cheap whore is sometimes more practical. And when you find a good one, like that $100 guitar with a straight neck... $20.00 and the shakes stopped- What's not to love?-Richie

I found this write up on it ...............................

Check out the XM8500 at your nearest BEHRINGER dealer and find out why these mics are becoming so common in practice spaces, [B]bedrooms[/B], professional studios and stages all over the globe. Compare them to the competition. We're sure you'll be impressed by the XM8500's performance—and the amount of money you'll save!

I find that a bit intriguing! Guess this microphone is muti purpose!!! :D

kind of curious if the telephone receivers are a matched pair.... :D that's a crazy collection ya got there. :cool:

Thanks for the compliment. It's actually the one collection that thee wife is alright with. I don't believe the telephones are matched, but they absolutely rule for what I'll call "stunt vocals."

Thanks for the compliment. It's actually the one collection that thee wife is alright with. I don't believe the telephones are matched, but they absolutely rule for what I'll call "stunt vocals."

:laughings: Stunt Vocals ..... I like that!
Never really have seen that in the album credits yet, anywhere.

moresound,

When I have the itch and I can't afford to scratch this is what I do. I drool over the vintage mics on ebay and when I get really carried away I bid rediculously low to find out 4 days later that I didn't win it. Except once in a while I do win it and I get a nice vintage mic for a rediculously low price. Still haven't got my second PL9 though.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

moresound,

When I have the itch and I can't afford to scratch this is what I do. I drool over the vintage mics on ebay and when I get really carried away I bid rediculously low to find out 4 days later that I didn't win it. Except once in a while I do win it and I get a nice vintage mic for a rediculously low price. Still haven't got my second PL9 though.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

HL I have tried that from time to time but never have been lucky enough to catch the BIG one. :(

Back