Poll About Cracked Software

Have you ever used pirated software even once by accident?

• Yes

Votes: 40 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Ban Me

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

chrisharris

King of Bling
Not looking for a debate here, as everybody knows that anybody who has ever used cracked software is worthy of contempt and public stoning.

Just wanna' know if you have ever used any cracked software at any point in your home recording journey.

I even have a Reaper license, so don't go all militant on me, but I'm not a hypocrite. I understand that some people have been banned from here for admitting to having used cracked software. That's sort of like banning somebody from an AA meeting for admitting that they have gotten drunk, but whatever. The poll should be anonymous, but that means nothing to a mod.

Good luck if you vote!!!!

I had Reaper for 265 days without a license but i never used it..I forgot I put it on..

apart from that no...I've watched some movies and I download British TV but not music software..I go through too many Customs agencies to trust not getting my hard drive or PC taken away

I dont think its the same as stealing a car or other such property crimes, nor do I condemn those who use torrents to try software out..when my morals are perfect Ill judge others

Im just lucky enough to be able to afford what I need..

In fact forget all of the above...Im using windows 7...I can barely get legit software to work properly lol

No, it never seemed worth the risk of putting anything remotely questionable on my DAW drives, I'd be kickin myself if my system got screwed up tryin to save a few bucks. I spend enough tech time using licensed programs as it is.

In the days when I was new to software, I bought Trilogy, the bass VSTi from someone on ebay. I thought I was getting a good deal at £50. I was given the challenge key and all the rest. I felt it was a shitty programme anyway. The double basses (which was the real reason I'd bought it) were hopeless, the bass guitars I never needed and the synth basses were OK in the very limited capacity I used them.
It wasn't until 4 years later when the computer crashed and I tried to reinstall it on the new one that I began to suspect skullduggery. I was in alot of contact with Spectrasonics trying to get the new key but because the person I'd bought it from had become a puff of smoke, they couldn't help me and that was when I realized properly that it must've been cracked. So I chucked it in the bin. I haven't missed it at all. I've been told their follow up is a superior craft but I, the dog, could not be less interested. I have a good double bass vsti, I can do bass guitar and acoustic bass guitar myself and synth bass is unlikely to feature though if I want it to, Sampletank will do. I don't know, I prefer to buy and own my own stuff.

Nope.

The good stuff has cheap versions that are as nearly capable as the full versions. Programs like Cubase and such. And there is some free stuff out there that is very good. There's no need to steal software.

As a mod, I was never able to see anon poll results.

As a mod, I was never able to see anon poll results.

I could as a supermod. Different software, though, but I was just trying to remind people to be cautious.

My favorite compressor is a little free plug called Blockfish. It's pretty awesome.

I have some dubious software I bought in Thailand...but it was in boxes and sealed so it might legit, I dont want to know though..

I was purchasing weed one day and this guy said *you want some bootleg software to go with your chronic*?
And I said ------- NO WAY that sh!t is illegal!

And the green dispensing Rastafarian said *Jah Mon you are a smart mon*.

I'll take those words of wisdom to my grave!!!!

:o <------------ our only stoned looking smiley Mon.

I did once... but I got better! :) Funny thing is, I never felt like I deserved to create anything worthwhile with it; I got no joy from having it, only a sense of guilt every time I launched it. Long story short, I purged everything from my computer that wasn't legitimate and went out and bought full versions of the software I used most. I also ditched Limewire and deleted everything I hadn't paid for, then opened up an iTunes account. Very liberating and I also got my joy back. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint but I just don't do pirated stuff anymore; not software, films, songs, or anything. It's just wrong and it's seriously uncool.

And watch the copyright laws. Industry has them changed regularly. We have to keep up. Stuff we did a few months ago that was perfectly legal then might be illegal today.

I have bought all my software, but sometimes download a crack if it needs the cd or a stupid dongle to run...

Back in the dark ages, the first multitrack recording software I bought was called "CoolEdit," which was produced by a company called Syntrillium...it eventually got purchased by Adobe and became "Adobe Audition." Anyway, I bought CoolEdit because of the loyalty of its users...they seemed rabid about how stable the software was. I had a lot of problems when I bought it until I downloaded the crack for it. THAT thing was like granite...It may have crashed twice on me in 3 years, but I never lost anything. To this day, it makes no sense to me that the crack would be more stable than the official release, but it was for me, and my GUESS (pure guess, based on nothing) is that there were tons of other people who were raving about its stability because they were using a crack.

Adobe Audition 3.0 was a total pain to install, mainly because I had to download I think 7 different updates and a special patch to get it to run properly, but a friend of mine downloaded the cracked version with the patch and it works perfectly, other than freezing up sometimes, he knows an easy trick to unfreeze it though which I won't divulge, but needless to say I was pissed! I spent over $300 on this program, had to go through a week of headache to get it to run right and my buddy downloads a cracked version and has it running in a few hours! I'm using Propellerheads Record now but I need a more powerful computer to run it full speed so I still lean on the AA3.0. As far as I know there's no way to crack propellerhead Record....

Back