Anyone here obsessed with writing Beatles-quality songs?

The Who was the epitome of british rock and roll. They had the sound and the attitude and were just weird enough to be awesome. The Stones were a sloppy bluesrock band, and the Beatles wrote girl music. They both pale in comparison to the awesomeness of The Who. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and/or dumb.

The Beatles were the epitome of british rock and roll. They had the sound and the attitude and were just weird enough to be awesome. The Stones were a sloppy bluesrock band, and the Who wrote girl music. They both pale in comparison to the awesomeness of The Beatles. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and/or dumb.

Well at least we agree on the Stones.

The Flems were the epitome of Arabic rock and roll. They had the sound and the attitude and were just weird enough to be awesome. The Sphinx were a sloppy bluesrock band, and the Mummies wrote girl music. They both pale in comparison to the awesomeness of The Flems. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and/or dumb.

The Flems were the epitome of Arabic rock and roll. They had the sound and the attitude and were just weird enough to be awesome. The Sphinx were a sloppy bluesrock band, and the Mummies wrote girl music. They both pale in comparison to the awesomeness of The Flems. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and/or dumb.
I spit on the Flems !
Anyone that can't see the greatness of the Sphinx and their unique desert blues has not yet understood the true impulse of rock'n'roll.
Personally, I think they were rubbish.

I despise The Who as well. I will never understand why they were popular.
Well, Pete Townsend was probably the first British pop writer to write from the point of view of the audience, articulating the thoughts, feelings and concerns of pilled up, sharp dressing mods. Also, once they got past being just another English white boy R&B outfit and latched onto the Kinks breathtaking new harder rock sound, they took it to new places just as the Kinks were going in the opposite direction of English calm introspection. And they were damn loud which was bound to be a hit with drugged up drunken youngsters. And once Keith Moon had absorbed Viv Prince's ways and act, he became a wild Tasmanian devil, visually and aurally huge and of course, the smashing up of mics, guitars and drums at the end of gigs was a serious rush for their audience. They also had a great name and when they came up with "My generation", much of their audience perceived it as a solidarity call. Great as the Beatles and Stones were, identification wasn't high on their agenda, being slightly older. And there was the little matter of a number of great songs that Shel Talmy managed to capture well onto the tape........

The Who was the epitome of british rock and roll.

To those that weren't British ! :D
All jests aside though, no band was the epitome of British rock and roll in my opinion. The story of British rock in the 60s is of a nation that rediscovered itself after suffering a huge inferiority complex where the Americans were concerned. Everything about America was glitzy,cool, attractive and fashionable prior to 1963 to the average English person (I deliberately exclude the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish here) whereas England was just grey. As the old saying went, "Queen Victoria died in 1960".......You guys had Lucille Ball, Bette Davies and Count Basie. We had Pat Coombes, Rita Tushingham and Acker Bilk ! Rock, football and fashion changed that, but especially rock. It took all of those different bands and artists' takes on what they were doing to make the Americans actually want to sound British. Not even the Beatles on their own could do that for longer than a few months. It wasn't dubbed 'the British invasion' for nothing ! ;)

Well, upon reflection, I must admit that I love "Won't Get Fooled Again", especially since it contains the best scream in rock 'n roll, which I get to enjoy every night on the CSI Miami reruns :)

-Mike

I'm not saying that the Who didn't have their moments..

ie: Won't Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, (MAAAAAYBE) My Generation.. but for the most part.. I can't get into them..

Example: I may be to ONLY person alive that likes Limp Bizkit's Version of Behind Blue Eyes better than the Original.. Don't know why.. I just don't get Townshend and Daltry.. I just don't get them.. (Yes Gerg this now makes it an Epic Fail?)

Also, I agree with the Dead + Doors.. way overated.

Side Note: Oddly I normally agree with Gerg's Opinions. Yet now I'm a failure :-(

-Paul

Well, upon reflection, I must admit that I love "Won't Get Fooled Again", especially since it contains the best scream in rock 'n roll, which I get to enjoy every night on the CSI Miami reruns :)

-Mike

Reflection is good.
My wife and I never miss CSI Miami, but those storylines are just ridiculously esoteric. You can't justifiably complain about them not being like real life. They're not even like real imagination !!:)

I agree with this, if we're thinking the same thing. People still worship the Beatles because they think they're supposed to.

I must admit, in 34 years I've never met anyone that 'liked the Beatles coz they were supposed to'. Quite the opposite, in fact. But I've known tons of skins, soul boys, punks, headbangers, hip hoppers, dreads and the like, that firstly went with a musical genre because the cultural or peer pressure made it almost impossible for them not to. I think it's often a genre thing rather than a specific group thing.
In saying all that though,the Beatles, the Stones, the Who and their ilk in the 60s were like that when it came to rock'n'roll and the blues. Then they grew up, got rich and powerful and then no one could dictate to them what to like ! Except their gurus. :D

On Topic Reply:

My personal interest in the Beatles was never solely based on the quality of song, an added interest was due to the fact that they had 27 Number One Hits out of 29 Released Singles.. An Excellent Accomplishment.

Therefore, I study those 27 songs intently so that I may have a number one hit song and retired to a life of the couch, xbox, recording, and sleeping... Not neccessarily in that order.,

-Paul

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the Who didn't have their moments..

but for the most part.. I can't get into them..

I just don't get Townshend and Daltry.. I just don't get them..
Daltrey never got Townshend ! You're in good company !

They were as a band fairly typical of British rock in the 60s insofar as they were a mixture of classes, backgrounds and abilities, which was a big deal over here, then. They made incendiary music sometimes. If you're not into them, heck, you're not into them. It took me years. It doesn't matter in the slightest. Even when I was school in the early 70s, there were kids there that made the liking of this artist or that song some kind of barometer of your status in life. You know, 'you're cool if you like.....' Each person is entitled to their opinion and desire in the subjective battleground of likes and dislikes. Now off I go to sway to my Osmonds......

Really? I see it every day in these music forums.
Well, I guess I tend to believe those people on these forums that say they actually do like the Beatles or any other lot for that matter. And if people say they don't like such and such a popular group/artist, it would be easy to argue that they're just trying to play anti hero and show how they can stand up against the tide. But I wouldn't. Coz they may actually not like said group/artiste ! :D
And they wouldn't be alone.

On Topic Reply:

My personal interest in the Beatles was never solely based on the quality of song, an added interest was due to the fact that they had 27 Number One Hits out of 29 Released Singles.. An Excellent Accomplishment.

Therefore, I study those 27 songs intently so that I may have a number one hit song and retired to a life of the couch, xbox, recording, and sleeping... Not neccessarily in that order.,

-Paul

Hey, Beyonce and Shakira sell lots of singles too. Are you studying them?

Back