Will Analog Multitracks ever be made again?

Will Analog Multitracks ever be made again?

• Total voters
ah well

before i address your specific concerns, let me suggest that you change your username to The Mediocre Cobb. you'll NEVER achieve greatness with an attitude like that.

now: i didn't say that if it ain't digital it's a relic. I said that analog multitracks will never be manufactured again. as far as i can tell based on the title of this thread, the OP was asking for the opinions of the members of this board regarding the matter. i gave mine. if you don't like it, too fucking bad.

I still record with a guitar. a real one with strings that i have to pluck. same with a bass. i even have to set my drums up and mic 'em when i record my drums.

now it's your turn. you explain to me how the Boss VB-2 is an "analog" vibrato pedal, and give me your review of how this compares to an echoplex.

Ah, well, the name Great Cobb is a character from the cartoon Ren and Stimpy.

I actually love your opinions about analog multitracks. In fact, you are only a few posts away from a guaranteed friend request from me.

Dont feel insecure about recording to digital though, i use a hybrid setup. I dont think anyone truly looks down on digital from an analog perspective (in an insulting way). I think most people just have preferences based on taste and familiarity.

Ive had both a Boss VB2 and the digital emulation. To me, the digital one felt differently. It was the exact same "effect", but the tone was less charming. The digital version was for adding vibrato to a signal, where as the analog one would have you getting lost for 2 hours playing it because it felt awesome. No one would ever hear the difference on a record, it was only different to the person playing. Sometimes thats enough though.

I love this vinyl making a comeback rumour...its not making a comeback, its just increased its sales since 2006 compared to other "hard" versions of playback...most of them come with a free MP3 download...and I can bet that what's played back most of the time by their owners..

It just a gimmick that a few collectors will get into..and I'd bet that would be the same with anything analogue

I love this vinyl making a comeback rumour...its not making a comeback, its just increased its sales since 2006 compared to other "hard" versions of playback...most of them come with a free MP3 download...and I can bet that what's played back most of the time by their owners..

It just a gimmick that a few collectors will get into..and I'd bet that would be the same with anything analogue[/QUOT

The band im in has sold way more vinyl than cds or downloads.

yes but are you reflective of the music industry?

I dont deny that vinyl will never be the only way people listen to music, but many many people for whom music is a large part of their daily life do buy it on vinyl and also have it on ipod etc for portability.

There are two kinds of music listener, and for one of those two kinds there is no replacement for vinyl. I see nothing on the horizon to change that.

What allows vinyl to survive, is that it doesnt directly compete with other technology. Vinyl was never meant to compete with portability of a tape or a cd or an mp3. No one goes and buys a vinyl copy for portability, they buy it for sound quality. Where mp3 players and cd players etc have to duke it out year after year to constantly compete for consumer interest by constantly being faster, easier etc, vinyl is outside of all that. It dominates in the realm of audio quality and listening experience, and has no competition and none coming any time soon.

Last edited:
so no comeback...thats what I was saying...your saying its never been away (thanks in a large part to DJs), I agree..but Id also say they are a very small minority

vinyl sales doubled to 1.88 million compared to plumeting CD sales of 360.6 million and growing MP3 sales of 65.8 million during the same time period*

its minuscule, and wont be making any comeback imo...not on those kind of figures

not really what the thread was about but analogue will remain the domain of a small number of enthusiasts too..we've all gone digital Im afraid and we wont be going back

*http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ture_Vinyl_record_sales_double_in_08_CDs_down

so no comeback...thats what I was saying...your saying its never been away (thanks in a large part to DJs), I agree..but Id also say they are a very small minority

vinyl sales doubled to 1.88 million compared to plumeting CD sales of 360.6 million and growing MP3 sales of 65.8 million during the same time period*

its minuscule, and wont be making any comeback imo...not on those kind of figures

not really what the thread was about but analogue will remain the domain of a small number of enthusiasts..we've all gone digital Im afraid and we wont be going back

*http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ture_Vinyl_record_sales_double_in_08_CDs_down

Well...so what?

What's the big deal if folks love an older technology?

How many vintage car collectors are there out there? There's tons of them! Many people like older stuff because it reminds them of their youth and because they admire the way stuff used to made compared to how it is these days. I know a guy who has a basement full of jukeboxes from the 40's and 50's because he loves how the look and how they sound! It keeps him young and he enjoys it.

Analog doesn't have to come back or gain significant market-share just like the '53 Cadillac El Dorado ain't coming back either. It's still a cool ride and so is many choice pieces of analog gear.

Cheers! :)

I predict that in the near future, it's gonna be mostly downloads (mp3 and maybe some other compression algorithm still TBA) and vinyl. I agree that it's never going to surpass digital but it'll be there. It will never really go away and people will want it.

BTW, sound aside, as one will always find those who'll question vinyl's sonic qualities but you really can't compete with the large, beautiful artwork and handling of a vinyl disc. That's an experience in itself.

Vinyl resurgence is indeed real and will have a longer shelf life than any current media.

Well...so what?

What's the big deal if folks love an older technology?

How many vintage car collectors are there out there? There's tons of them! Many people like older stuff because it reminds them of their youth and because they admire the way stuff used to made compared to how it is these days. I know a guy who has a basement full of jukeboxes from the 40's and 50's because he loves how the look and how they sound! It keeps him young and he enjoys it.

Analog doesn't have to come back or gain significant market-share just like the '53 Cadillac El Dorado ain't coming back either. It's still a cool ride and so is many choice pieces of analog gear.

Cheers! :)

did I say I had a problem with it or it was a big deal?

I said vinyl wont make a comeback in my opinion, and I doubt analogue will either..but there will always be enthusiasts that will keep it going..you know like the opinions the OP was asking for??

that's all..

oh yeah and that people into it are a bunch of cardigan wearing trainspotters who smell of pipe tobacco..there ya go, there's your controversy lol :)

I predict that in the near future, it's gonna be mostly downloads (mp3 and maybe some other compression algorithm still TBA) and vinyl. I agree that it's never going to surpass digital but it'll be there. It will never really go away and people will want it.

BTW, sound aside, as one will always find those who'll question vinyl's sonic qualities but you really can't compete with the large, beautiful artwork and handling of a vinyl disc. That's an experience in itself.

Vinyl resurgence is indeed real and will have a longer shelf life than any current media.

actually I dont agree...I think it will disappear when the nostalgia wears off...I think there will be generations who will collect CDs as we've collected vinyl in the past, eventually newer items become the nostalgia pieces of the future

digital will improve sonically...MP3s arent the last format we'll have for sure

hm

actually I dont agree...I think it will disappear when the nostalgia wears off...I think there will be generations who will collect CDs as we've collected vinyl in the past, eventually newer items become the nostalgia pieces of the future

digital will improve sonically...MP3s arent the last format we'll have for sure

"Nostalgia" isnt whats keeping vinyl alive, it is the sound. Someone could make the claim that "nostalgia" is the reason people are buying vinyl, but the proof of that would never and could never be as concrete as the fact-based differences in sound quality when comparing vinyl to an mp3. I think there is a little "reverse nostalgia" going on when people start to believe that anything newer must be better.

The question is not whether mp3 is the last format, or if digital is improving or not. Everyone knows that there will be newer and better. But it will never, ever be anything but 1s and 0s. Thats the point i was making about vinyl having no competition. No one is out there trying to make a more analog vinyl. But theyll constantly be cutting the 1s and 0s finer and finer. So yeah tapes will be replaced by the portability/ease of cds, and cds will be replaced by the portability/ease of mp3s, and mp3s will be replaced by whatever is next. But, vinyl will always be cut grooves on a real piece of tangible craftsmanship, and wherever there are people who care about audio and want to make a ritual out of listening to something, vinyl will never be replaced.

I remember reading when Napoleon took power in France they reckoned, at the time, that politics had reached its final format....

vinyl will dissapear..of course it will..its ridiculous to say it wont, not in our lifetime but eventually it will :rolleyes:

It just a gimmick that a few collectors will get into..and I'd bet that would be the same with anything analogue

The world is a different place than it was in music history past. We aren’t all on the same page following the same trends. The recording industry is more diverse and scattered. We can’t really say something is or isn’t making a comeback. Billboard can barely make a top 10 or top 100 list these days… the industry has changed too much.

As in other areas of the analog world vinyl has always been there, and again the sale of pre-owned records is part of a sizable subculture of music lovers. If someone uses vinyl as a “Gimmick” then that’s what they’re doing, but it’s not what everyone is doing.

If you want to watch a shameless gimmick in action look at any number of “Analog” plug-ins. Many of us can see them for what they are… pretty much the “Cyber girlfriends” that are coming out now. Some future generation will not be able to see a big difference between cyber women and real women and people will debate it on some forum somewhere. In the not so distant future some dumbass will cut his wrists because his cyber girlfriend says she needs some time apart. She was programed to say that at some stage in the relationship.

The PC-centric lifestyle is something that is causing as much miscommunication and misunderstanding as different languages and cultures do. Some of us use computers like we use any other tool... our heads still in the real world, but others have become tools… completely and hopelessly sucked into cyberland. They can’t see the world, much less the music world apart from that reference. That combined with the total lack of info in product-oriented magazines and websites, and well yes, MOST people have no idea what the hell is going on around them. Those of us that have stayed current look on with some amusement at those that have it all bass-ackwards and are basically telling us all loudly and proudly how much they don’t know… and they don’t realize that either, which is just something else they don’t know. ;)

This intense involvement with the computer world will end first… the nature of the relationship between man and his computer will change because it is and always has been in our nature to be free. If history is any indication man will eventually free himself from this master as well. I'm sure many will die in their computer chairs with mouse in hand before it happens, but it will happen.

Last edited:
when I said gimmick I meant this current crop of new vinyl sales...shit you can fly a hot air balloon if you want, it'll be no threat to the airline industry

also I think you're thinking to much about it...the PC is just an entertainment system...its the hifi or tv or radio of our generation...no more, no less, painting it as our master is histrionics, enjoyable histrionics but nevertheless

I think digital will improve, I also think the industry will eventually change and for the better, it'll just be a bumpy road getting there..all imho of course

but analogue will be something old men stare it in the same regard my grandfather did with steam engines ;)

While not directly relevant to the original question, considering the direction this thread has taken here's a pair of Spectrogram images detailing the frequency range in the same section of a Supertramp song, one taken off CD, the other off a high quality vinyl pressing.

:cool:

Attachments

• Spectrograms Resize.jpg
    Spectrograms Resize.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 63
That's cool Ausrock. can you post one from an MP3 of the same (a 320 & a 192)?
I wonder if they ever thought about adding a built in RIAA type EQ setting - as used in t'table preamps, for CDs to compensate for the reduction?

oh

when I said gimmick I meant this current crop of new vinyl sales...shit you can fly a hot air balloon if you want, it'll be no threat to the airline industry

also I think you're thinking to much about it...the PC is just an entertainment system...its the hifi or tv or radio of our generation...no more, no less, painting it as our master is histrionics, enjoyable histrionics but nevertheless

I think digital will improve, I also think the industry will eventually change and for the better, it'll just be a bumpy road getting there..all imho of course

but analogue will be something old men stare it in the same regard my grandfather did with steam engines ;)

I dont think any couple that is going for a romantic balloon ride, or the guy who studied hot air ballooning his whole adult life and makes his living off giving them, or the company that manufactures the fuel and materials needed to create a hot air balloon sit and worry about not being a "threat" to the airline industry. They just enjoy the view and the demand for what it is they do.

Im not worried about changes that occur outside of my own lifetime.

Digital will always be 1s and 0s until it becomes so complex it will turn back into analog, which we already have now.

Im in my 20s, and have always loved analog. So does almost everyone i know, ages 19 and up. The bands i know around town are all spending big money to have their record done on tape machines in studios. More and more people i know who have switched to digital are now coming back and saying they miss the sound and feel of analog, none of them even in their 30s yet. So i dont see where age has anything to do with it. Also, i dont know if id really put too much weight on the opinions of young men anyways. They are doomed to always believe what they are doing is at the forefront anyways, even if it is light years behind they cant see it. I barely know anyone under 30 who can even write a good song or knows how to use a compressor, so i dont see the point of trying to believe that a young persons flawed logic beats the experience of someone whos done it and knows for a fact what works. I dont think anyone here in this forum over 35 who has tape machine experience prefers it because of their "age". Theyve done it all, and they chose what they preferred. Im getting a little tired of age stigma.

Young people seem to really love to point out the cliches in others, while completely disregarding their own.

The vinyl singles my band made sold out in 2 weeks. We still have a huge pile of CDs sitting in the corner though. So, to each his own.

Back