Whats the best way to treat this space?

So everyone is anti studio foam here huh? Why even sell the stuff anymore. It's just for suckers who want to waste their money huh? lol

Yeah, I never bought the stuff, so I have no personal experience to say either way. But there are several people who frequent this site who design acoustic treatment for studios for a living, weasel being one of them, and if they say, don't waste your money on studio foam, I'm going to listen to them.

I think weasel actually said, they have their place, but not what you need.

From the pics, looks like you've got a difficult room. Listen to a lot of commercial releases and learn how your room responds. Probably the best way to get good mixes. Best of luck and be sure to post your songs up when you get going. :)

btw, you should learn to read some of those graphs, then it would make sense...
:)

Yeah I should. How do I do that? Home Recording for Dummies doesnt go that in depth lol.

I still cant believe that studio foam has no use at all for sound dampening.

Yeah I should. How do I do that? Home Recording for Dummies doesnt go that in depth lol.

Do a search for Ethan Winer. He is one of the resident experts and owner of RealTraps. He has several article that go into the technical details of treating small spaces.

So everyone is anti studio foam here huh? Why even sell the stuff anymore. It's just for suckers who want to waste their money huh? lol
The stuff was all the rage about 10 years ago. But it was when home and project studios were starting to multiply and before there were too many internet forums to tell you the right way to do it.

Real, professionally designed studios are rarely covered in foam because foam only fixes a very specific problem. Because of the odd nature of the your space, the bigger problem will be with the low end. 703 Bass traps will get rid of just as much high end as foam will AND help get rid of your bigger problem.

Other than 'looking cool' (to me it just looks like a project studio from 1997), it will just screw you over by making the highs dead without attenuating the low end. You will end up with a goofy, unbalanced, muddy space to try and mix in.

BTW, in a bigger space where the low end isn't going to be as out of whack, foam can be used to kill reflections. But the smaller the space, the less useful it becomes. Your space is about as small as it can be, so the foam will be as useless as it can be.

Dude. People are trying to help you. If you don't want to believe them, then fine. Go waste your money.

I don't think it's that you can't believe it has no use at all (which nobody said, by the way). It's that you WANT to believe it will magically solve your problems.

Knock yourself out, man. The foam industry needs people like you to keep them in business.:cool:

Best of luck and be sure to post your songs up when you get going. :)

Yeah I'll do that. I can post some old stuff that I did with the same gear different room too.

I dont have any money for a little bit. I got 3 703 bass traps. So if I get like a cheap 4" egg crate foam mattress pad for behind the computer it won't do anything at all?

just a temporary solution... I guess the idea behind the "no" answer would be that it would create an drastically uneven sound absorbtion if any and throw off the sound being heard?

So if I get like a cheap 4" egg crate foam mattress pad for behind the computer it won't do anything at all?
you could stuff a pillow behind the computer. It will do the same thing. The foam really won't block the sound from the computer, it will just dampen it.

just a temporary solution... I guess the idea behind the "no" answer would be that it would create an drastically uneven sound absorbtion if any and throw off the sound being heard?
That's exactly right.

For anyone else reading I found this information online that obviously is important.

Some folks will tell you that egg crate foam that is used for mattresses will work well for this. DON'T USE IT! This type of foam breaks down quickly, creates dust and small particles of foam that will get into your keyboard, computer, and listening area. It's also not fire safe should you be a commercial room and will invalidate your insurance. Use quality foam or treatment materials from a qualified manufacturer. It costs less than you'd think. And it's available in many colors. Visit Auralex University for more information on how best to suit your mix environment.

Ok I caved. I am going to buy some more Owens Corning. Should I get 703 or 705 for behind the computer desk? Should I make then 2 or 4" ? Do I need to make any square looking bass traps? Also I could make a bass trap for in between the sconces to angle. Like 2' x 2'... lemme know people!

Also how should I hang the existing 703 bass traps 4" that I have? Straight behind the computer together to make a 8'x4' section or try to space them a bit to catch the angle of the speakers but ob viously so they're still pretty much directly behind me?

Please lemme know. Im bout to hang these bad boys in an hour. Then I'll post pictures too.

The shape of the trap doesn't make any difference, the thickness does. They could be cow shaped and still do the job. You can make them what ever shapes you need to fill the wall.

Added progress so far to main post. Thanks everyone. Still waiting on shipment of the premade fabric coverings from acoustimac.com for covering my 703 for the ceiling.

I think I should put some 2 inch panels on the wall to the right of the chair and behind the computer desk yes/no?

I think weasel actually said, they have their place, but not what you need.

Just so everybody knows, I actually have some foam in my control room...I think I have four LNRDs and two 2'x2'x2" pieces. But I also have fourteen 4" broad band panels, five 6" bass traps, five 2" high frequency panels.

Studio-1.jpg

Frank

Ok ok...

I have a little bit of LENRD foam to install too. ;)
LOL,
Scott.

Attachments

• PA240046.jpg
    PA240046.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 109
Scott...hahaha...you're a funny guy. :D

As for that space...that is a really, REALLY though room. Honestly man, I wouldn't put a STITCH of foam in that room. Not only is it tiny, but that slanted ceiling is going to absolutely kill you. That's the thing about small spaces...they actually take MORE bass trapping than a large room to make them useful, not LESS. At a certain point you need so much trapping that you'd fill the room up too much to make it useful.

Given the space as it is, I'd put 4" panels on the front wall placed vertically behind your speakers and at a couple of 4"' panels placed horizontally along the bottom of the back wall. I don't know that corners will even be an option because you'll loose so much space by straddling them. If you can swing it, a couple of 4" panels placed horizontally on the slanted ceiling will help immensely as well.

I know you want to hear recommendations for foam, but I just don't have any. I mean, you can try to stick LNRDs in the wall/wall corners and in the wall/ceiling corners, but they're not going to help much. MEGA LNRDs would work well, but at that price you might as well do panels.

Frank

Scott...hahaha...you're a funny guy. :D

That's the thing about small spaces...they actually take MORE bass trapping than a large room to make them useful, not LESS.

Frank

It's true...It's almost like this little room (the OP's) is a big speaker cabinet.

Good luck!
Scott.

haha little spaces suck I guess. Ouch.... I appreciate all the responses!

Not trying to be mean, man...I promise. I'm trying to be honest so you'll have a reasonable set of expectations, and hopefully not waste your money on a bunch of foam that won't make much difference. :)

Frank

Back