Whats the best way to treat this space?

Glad to help....Fabric...yeah, I need budget fabric too...my 703's and 705's got shipped today
and I will need to cover them.

I bought my fiberglass here :http://www.acoustimac.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29
They also $ell fabric...poke around this site and you will see how they go together.
Looks like spray adhesive is used to get the fabric to lay tight to the fiberglass panel.

If you find anything out about recommended low budg fabric, please let me know. I was thinkin oldschool burlap.

Thanks,
Scott.

Don't glue the foam to the wall. When you take it down, you can't get the the glue off. You will have to resurface the wall or re-drywall it. Glue the foam to some cardboard or thin plywood and hang it like a picture.

The foam is pretty useless, so I wouldn't even bother with it.

Wow yeah that website is really good. I hope I can make a good looking area with how difficult my area is... I will let you know if I find anything breathable at walmart cause thats the only option I have really. Thats pretty cool that they make premade fabric on that website ready to order but its expensive... $26/ panel... I might just order there cause they do look cool and all the work is done! Since I only need 2.

I used 1x4 pine boards to frame my rookwool and I stretched "duck cloth" over them. Its like canvas, but lighter weight. I think I paid about $6 a yard (but its 5' wide, so a "yard" was 5' x 3'). No glue involved. Just screws for the frames and staples for the fabric.

DO NOT DO FOAMBYMAIL.COM. They're actually only guys I'll simply call out as a scam because that's exactly what they are. They sell cheap foam that won't do you a single bit of good...it's NOT the same stuff as Auralex, Sonnex or whatever. I know, I know...their lab test look pretty good. That's because they stole the results directly off Auralex's site.

If you're DIYing, then Acoustimac and ATS are both great options for getting 703, mineral wool or whatever.

Frank

Thanks weasel! I was just about to order some foam from them and didnt feel good about it so didnt. Cause I still need to foam my computer cabinet and the wall behind the desk.

I did however order one of the fabric covers from acoustimac since it will make my life easier. Now I just need to figure out how to attach it to the ceiling. Heh. So I have 3 bass traps then. Two on the wall behind and one on the ceiling. I call them bass traps I guess because they're 4" thick and that seems to be the only difference I can find on acousti mac between the regular sound absorbers and bass ones?

Anyway... I need a good alternative to foambymail then cause I cant afford more 703 or 705 for behind the speakers, which is where most of my noise from the computer is echoing from. (The space between the desk and wall).

Wow so the absolute cheapest so far I've found is

Sonitec acoustic foam, single sheet 3" Pyramid, 54" x 76", Dark Gray $117.38

And thats still expensive for me right now.

You sure foambymail isnt ok? lol

I remember along time ago when someone actually tested the foam on here and I think they proved that foambymail's numbers were bogus? I cant remember... Is that what you were referring to?

Last edited:
I think I bought *bags* of 4" Rockwool for like ~$40 or $50- that was like 4 or 6 pieces. Plus another $20 for fabric and $20 for lumber and fasteners. So, total less than $100 and I'm confident it will perform better than the foam you are looking at. :)

Summary; less money, better performance. :D

comon foam looks cool and it obviously works. I just went to atleast 4 big companies that specialize in commercial and industrial applications of acoustic control and they had tons of graphs and crap posted for their foam.

Some of the companies work with cities for controlling expressway sound etc.

Foam is cool. But I have to say for the price I mind as well buy some more 703 panels. I dunno. Im broke at the moment so at least I have 3 bass traps lol.

It obviously works for applications that require absorption of high frequencies. That is NOT what a home studio needs. But go ahead and waste your money because it looks cool. ;)

Yeah...totally agree. I wish I could be more encouraging, but loading your room up with foam is just not a good idea. In the last studio I worked in the chief engineer always said something about making purchases: the most money you can ever spend is on something that doesn't work for you. Commercial foam has it's uses, but it won't solve the biggest problems you'll have. Besides, if you're looking at Acoustimac, don't they sell pre-built panels? They sell 703 and mineral wool too, right? They're a good company.

Frank

As far as fabric on a budget... I read the easiest cost effective way is to just get the lowest count bed sheets from walmart.. I can almost guess most people here will be against this? One reason would be it isnt stiff enough to get a tight fit? I dunno.... Theres a local walmart that has a fabric department still so i can still see what they have too....

But have you seen any instructions on how to wrap the panels and keep the fabric tight?

I've got a thread in here somewhere that explains how I put fabric on my 703. Basically use spray-on adhesive. I have always recommended getting your fabric from the bargain bin at the walmart fabric dept. Get the cheapest that you can blow through easily. You can make your own panels very inexpensively.

HOWEVER, considering your unique space, you should seriously think of spending your money on a really good pair of headphones and do just enough treatment to get good vocal tracks. Something to think about, anyways.

I've got a thread in here somewhere that explains how I put fabric on my 703. Basically use spray-on adhesive. I have always recommended getting your fabric from the bargain bin at the walmart fabric dept. Get the cheapest that you can blow through easily. You can make your own panels very inexpensively.

HOWEVER, considering your unique space, you should seriously think of spending your money on a really good pair of headphones and do just enough treatment to get good vocal tracks. Something to think about, anyways.

I got a nice $100 pair of pro headphones woopty doo right. Well they work pretty good but i can hear soooo much more out of my m-audio speakers for mixing.

I need to do something about the wall behind the computer though. I bought some thermaltake sound dampening foam/kit for my pc and it has precut pieces that you mod to fit the top/bot and sides. It works well but Im still getting a nice echo or whatever its technically called... off the wall behind it. Besides that these speakers push a lot of bass (and sometimes its needed for mixing rap music) and I think it will help alot to have some sound dampening on that wall.

So everyone is anti studio foam here huh? Why even sell the stuff anymore. It's just for suckers who want to waste their money huh? lol

Back