January and February challenge ~ an idea

gecko zzed

Grumpy Mod
Here is something for people to think about and view their thoughts.

I figure that we can have a January challenge for a set of lyrics. The theme will be 'misunderstanding'.

The reason for picking that as the theme comes with the February part of the challenge. You will have February in which to record a set of lyrics. The catch is; they won't be your lyrics!

The idea is that once we have complied the list of participants' contributions for January, we will then swap them around between the participants, having to come up with tunes for someone else's words.

I can easily see this being the source of confusion and misunderstanding as we try to render someone else's thought processes into song.

I'd be interested to see who would be game to tackle this to see if it is worth pursuing. I'd also be interested in exploring ways of allocating lyrics around.

All ideas are welcome!

Here is something for people to think about and view their thoughts.

I figure that we can have a January challenge for a set of lyrics. The theme will be 'misunderstanding'.

The reason for picking that as the theme comes with the February part of the challenge. You will have February in which to record a set of lyrics. The catch is; they won't be your lyrics!

The idea is that once we have complied the list of participants' contributions for January, we will then swap them around between the participants, having to come up with tunes for someone else's words.

I can easily see this being the source of confusion and misunderstanding as we try to render someone else's thought processes into song.

I'd be interested to see who would be game to tackle this to see if it is worth pursuing. I'd also be interested in exploring ways of allocating lyrics around.

All ideas are welcome!

Good idea, Mike. Count me in!

Cheers,
Joseph

i don't think I'll record any songs with someone else word since i barely have time to record my own songs but I'll think about the misunderstanding subject and if any ideas pops up I'll surely write them down. and then i'll give them away to any taker.

Count me half in! yay

(damn louis is such a selfish mthrfckr, i hate this douche bag)

Update: yeah i've just got a cool idea working on it now!

Last edited:
If I can come up with a song, I'll play along. Sounds like fun and the name of the song will be Charlie. Thanks Geck!!

Charlie

Interesting concept - I'm thinking that I will record the song I write, but will not post the recording, only the lyrics. Once my counterpart records and post his version, I will post my version. It will be fun to hear the interpretations each one has.

Interesting concept - I'm thinking that I will record the song I write, but will not post the recording, only the lyrics. Once my counterpart records and post his version, I will post my version. It will be fun to hear the interpretations each one has.

This can be an interesting counterpoint to the challenge; to record your own song anyway, then post if after your counterpart has recorded it. The differences could be illuminating.

I must comit or it will not happen

Count me in too - work has been all consuming recently and I have not been here in months , but foresee the clouds clearing around xmas.

I have been re-scoring Threepenny Opera for the last 2 months for Feb school production - so if I can set music to Brecht I think I should be ready for anyone else.

Great idea Gecko

I'm only new here, and this is my first post, so I'll say hello.

"Hello".

Seeing as how I wrote some lyrics yesterday on the subject of misunderstanding, you can count me in too.

Is it too early to post a first draft?

Amanda

Welcome

"Hello".

Seeing as how I wrote some lyrics yesterday on the subject of misunderstanding, you can count me in too.

Amanda

Hey Amanda - Welcome in to the fracas. You will find many folks with great ideas and suggestions around here if you are open to constructive critique. As far as the Challenge is concerned you should pop in now and again and watch for details. You might look up some of the previous Challenges using the search function for an idea of what has been done. There is nothing set in stone though. Feel free to post lyrics/music at any time but you may want to hold off as far as the Challenge is concerned until we learn more of its structure. Keep writing, Dave. aka up-fiddler

"Hello".

Amanda

Hi Amanda, and a very warm welcome! Even warmer, since you are from Australia!

You are welcome to join in.

Towards the end of December I will issue a general invitation for people to participate in the January/February challenge.

In January the participants will develop their 'Misunderstanding' lyrics.

In early February, I will assign each participant's lyrics to another participant, who will then have to create the music to suit the lyrics and record it.

At the end of February, we will have the njoyable experience of hearing how we have interpreted each other's lyrics.

I note that you are off to an excellent headstart, having got something on the go already. If it's okay, would you hang off posting them until January.

However, feel free to post any other lyrics that you have. You will find people here to be helpful, constructive and supportive.

Bumpity Bump.

Thanks for reminding me!

I have been exceptionally busy over the last couple of months, and am likely to be so until end of January . . . so there hasn't been spare space in my brain to think about challenges. However, there's no harm in seeing who will participate.

Back