Mic Preamp under $1500

As far as I understand it, Guitar Zero nailed the input transformer. It balances the impedance and does definitely add some color. The output transformer basically takes the signal, splits it in two, reverses the phase on one, and then sends the two out to a balanced input, where the whole process is reversed. That reduces noise picked up by the cable, but it comes at a cost. Plus, the output transformer will add some color.

Also, the power supply is technically a transformer I believe, but theoretically it shouldn't be coloring the audio signal if it is designed properly.

As far as I understand it, Guitar Zero nailed the input transformer. It balances the impedance and does definitely add some color. The output transformer basically takes the signal, splits it in two, reverses the phase on one, and then sends the two out to a balanced input, where the whole process is reversed. That reduces noise picked up by the cable, but it comes at a cost. Plus, the output transformer will add some color.

Also, the power supply is technically a transformer I believe, but theoretically it shouldn't be coloring the audio signal if it is designed properly.

Wow, it might be tough for me to absorb those info as I've never looked inside mine or anyone's pre-amp before. It probably won't make any sense anyways cause I don't even know how current flows. :(

Are you referring to warmth when you said "add some color".

Many major audio manufacturers seem to be offering one or more models of pre, eq and/or comp. Off the top of my head:

API
Great River
Purple Audio
A-Designs
Buzz Audio
Shadow Hills
LaChapell
Avedis
Old School Audio (OSA)
Forsell
Brent Averill
Chandler
Juggernaught
Eisen
Komit
Roll Music
JLM
AL.SO
Arsenal
Burl Audio
Aphex
S&M Audio
Speck Electronics

There's more, of course. You can go here for a feature comparison:

http://lunchboxhero.com/500seriesdb.html

Last edited:
Many major audio manufacturers seem to be offering one or more models of pre, eq and/or comp. Off the top of my head:

API
Great River
Purple Audio
A-Designs
Buzz Audio
Shadow Hills
LaChapell
Avedis
Old School Audio (OSA)
Forsell
Brent Averill
Chandler
Juggernaught
Eisen
Komit
Roll Music
JLM
AL.SO
Arsenal
Burl Audio
Aphex
S&M Audio
Speck Electronics

There's more, of course. You can go here for a feature comparison:

http://lunchboxhero.com/500seriesdb.html

That's very awesome, Pohaku. Just what I need. That's quite a lot from off the top of your head.:D What's your favorite of them all?

I've certainly not heard them all. Of the ones that I have heard, I like the A-Designs P-1 as an all purpose pre. I would like to try the Avedis MA5 pre, the Purple Action comp, and the Pendulum OCL comp. I'm quite happy with my API 550b EQs.

I just did a research on the Avedis MA5. So far all of the reviews I've read were positive. It's a really tough decision to choose based on people's reviews, especially when all are positive reviews. On the bright side, I probably won't go wrong with either, such as the MA5 or GR and P-1. Most users said you can't go wrong with either, as they're all great but with different uses or just personal tastes.

Seems like the 500 series modules are getting very popular these days...?:confused:

I think I can give the GR a test drive from Mercenary but I'm not sure about the others as Mercenary doesn't carry them. It's so rare to find used ones. Guess I'll just keep on looking.:cool:

I just did a research on the Avedis MA5. So far all of the reviews I've read were positive. It's a really tough decision to choose based on people's reviews, especially when all are positive reviews. On the bright side, I probably won't go wrong with either, such as the MA5 or GR and P-1. Most users said you can't go wrong with either, as they're all great but with different uses or just personal tastes.

Seems like the 500 series modules are getting very popular these days...?:confused:

I think I can give the GR a test drive from Mercenary but I'm not sure about the others as Mercenary doesn't carry them. It's so rare to find used ones. Guess I'll just keep on looking.:cool:

Used API, Purple, Shadow Hills, P-1, GR and MA5 pres pop up with fair frequency over on the GS Board classified. If you check regularly, I doubt you will have a problem picking one up used at a decent price. And if you do pick one up and you don't like it, it should be no problem unloading it for about what you paid for it. Things can move fast over there, so you have to be on top it and know what is a fair value and who you are buying from. Do your due diligence as usual.

I own the avedis ma5, the atlaspro juggernaut (pair), and a buzz elixir currently. If you are looking for a vocal pre amp, let me just say the ma5 is killer. That said, if you can't make a great vocal recording with any of them, you maybe should find another avocation. They are all great, just a bit different.

The juggernaut is by far the most versatile of the bunch. It has changeable iron and nickel transformers on both the input and output. Also has a variable impedence knob on the mic input, so you can dial in high impedence for a more open airy sound, or dial it low for a darker fuller sound. The shadow hills mono gamma is along the same lines with the different transformer choices. The elixir is dynamite for acoustic instruments.

Just about any of them will give you a great sound on acoustic guitar. Again, just different. Truly, none of them are going to make you unhappy. I've read posts from several people who have gotten a six slot lunch box and four preamps to try for a week from mercenary or vintage king. Vintage King has the best selection that I've found. Mercenary will give you $50 off on each preamp if you buy the lunchbox. Vintage King gives you the lunchbox free if you buy four modules. Either way, I'd call 'em and see what you can work out if you're really serious. There's no substitute for hearing them yourself. I'd try 'em out and get a stereo pair of the one you like the best. You can always save and add more later. Do not get the two space rack. You'll want more modules and then just have to sell it for a six space.

Used API, Purple, Shadow Hills, P-1, GR and MA5 pres pop up with fair frequency over on the GS Board classified. If you check regularly, I doubt you will have a problem picking one up used at a decent price. And if you do pick one up and you don't like it, it should be no problem unloading it for about what you paid for it. Things can move fast over there, so you have to be on top it and know what is a fair value and who you are buying from. Do your due diligence as usual.
^Agree. This is how I've gotten almost all of my modules. Check the gearslutz classifieds, and buy from established members with good feedback. I've bought and sold a few used, and always get what I paid for them. It's a great way to try a variety as well!

^Agree. This is how I've gotten almost all of my modules. Check the gearslutz classifieds, and buy from established members with good feedback. I've bought and sold a few used, and always get what I paid for them. It's a great way to try a variety as well!

Id have to ask why they are selling it as used gear if it is any good...the way I look at it is that if Im going to bbuy something...I dont want to be hasseled with selling next year when I dont feel its good enough.

It's like trading baseball cards as a little kid, really. I've sold some 500 series modules, not because I didn't like them, but for other reasons such as needing money to upgrade mics, converters, too similar to other modules you already have, etc. The only 500 series module I sold because I didn't like it was the purple action compressor. Tiny cheep little knobs that were hard to turn. Useless LEDs that told you squat about your gain reduction, and a grainy sound that didn't flatter anything I tried it on. Some people love them. Not me. I've even sold one that I plan on buying again, when I get the cash. Buzz Essence compressor. Absolutely great comp that has a beautiful sound. Just needed cash for another deal. I'll get another though.

But its not like I need the money to buy other gear...I just have enough crappy gear to start my own store here and I dont feel like storing all this junk...or adding junk to it.

Id have to ask why they are selling it as used gear if it is any good...the way I look at it is that if Im going to bbuy something...I dont want to be hasseled with selling next year when I dont feel its good enough.

People on GS buy and sell for lots of reasons. Unlike this Board, many there are working engineers/producers. They may buy gear for a particular project and then sell it when the project is completed. For them, the gear is just a tool for work. If you need it again, you buy it again. The baseball card analogy is also applicable. They are Gearslutz after all. Lots of people on GS are also constantly "upgrading" their rigs - which means they often sell existing gear to buy other gear, especially if they aren't using it a lot. Lots of people on that Board have HUGE rigs and selling or buying a handful of modules from time to time isn't a big deal for them.

I rarely sell stuff myself, but I have traded an A-Design Red preamp for a Purple Audio preamp simply because I thought the Red sounded very close to my API modules and I wanted something different. The Red is a great module - nothing wrong with it - but I just wanted the different sound of the Purple Biz instead. I've also sold 2 Symetrix SX-202 preamps (4 channels total). Nothing wrong with those either. Great inexpensive preamps that are moddable and built like tanks. But I already have something like 16 channels of other pres that get used more often - so they went to a better home where they will get used more regularly. Just one of those things!

Wow, with all you guys feedbacks, it's getting very tempting. I'll constantly check GS classifieds for now. :) So, with that said.... there really isn't any point in buying new then?

What about mics? I've heard they make a much bigger difference to your recordings than pres? Will I be better off and hear a bigger difference with a new pre to go with my K2 or a new mic with my 610?

People on GS buy and sell for lots of reasons. Unlike this Board, many there are working engineers/producers. They may buy gear for a particular project and then sell it when the project is completed. For them, the gear is just a tool for work. If you need it again, you buy it again. The baseball card analogy is also applicable. They are Gearslutz after all. Lots of people on GS are also constantly "upgrading" their rigs - which means they often sell existing gear to buy other gear, especially if they aren't using it a lot. Lots of people on that Board have HUGE rigs and selling or buying a handful of modules from time to time isn't a big deal for them.

I checked some things there...and I thought alot of them were phonies...I always say...dont review a product unless you have used it...and there is a bunch of that going on over there.:rolleyes:

I checked some things there...and I thought alot of them were phonies...I always say...dont review a product unless you have used it...and there is a bunch of that going on over there.:rolleyes:

Hmm... if that's the case, then I shouldn't be reviewing cause I don't have many of the gears that's in review?:( So all these readings and reviews won't do me any good unless I tested them myself?

Anyone know any good place that rent gears for only a small rental fee?:)

Hmm... if that's the case, then I shouldn't be reviewing cause I don't have many of the gears that's in review?:( So all these readings and reviews won't do me any good unless I tested them myself?

Anyone know any good place that rent gears for only a small rental fee?:)

I think he meant people reviewing the product should have experience with it - not the person reading the review. There is a HUGE tendency for people to regurgitate what they've read on the intrawebs, without any first hand experience - I guess they feel like they are knowledgeable. Every piece of gear I comment on, I have used myself, unless I state otherwise in the post.

Certainly there is the issue of people just repeating what they have read on the web. That issue is discussed on GS as well. You just need to keep track of who is saying what. If you spend any time on the GS board it usually becomes pretty apparent who is speaking from experience - and there are a lot of people there with just amazing experience. Ya just need to pay attention.:D

Certainly there is the issue of people just repeating what they have read on the web. That issue is discussed on GS as well. You just need to keep track of who is saying what. If you spend any time on the GS board it usually becomes pretty apparent who is speaking from experience - and there are a lot of people there with just amazing experience. Ya just need to pay attention.:D

And to take it one step further - you will find that certain pro's have a similar style as you do, and their advice tends to work better than other pro's. For me, the big three have been Fletcher, Thrillfactor (I'd really like to know who he really is), and Michael Wagner.

Increasingly it seems like folks think we should just embed an HTML redirect to the Gearslutz search page :)
As an avid Gearslut (both in regards to obsessing about gear and participating in the board) and lunchbox user/fan, I'd also highly recommend checking out the non-lunchbox Langevin Dual Vocal Combo. If you can find a good deal on a used one, plus grab a inline phase reverse connector (an oddly absent feature) and a Triton Audio Fet Head (in case you want to use an SM7 or other mic that requires loads of gain-- the DVC is a little shy on gain, but has plenty for condensers) you'd have two channels with great pres, useful shelving eq and great tracking opto limiters.

Back