Mic Preamp under $1500

I have the LA610. What is the difference between the 710 and LA610?

The LA610 is a fantastic tube pre-amp, as is most everything I have ever heard from universal audio (including their software).

The 710 is a single channel pre with a tube stage, as well as a solid state stage. The two stage can be blended together to achieve a lot of flexibility. I have been able to get some very flat recordings, as well as some very harmonic driven recordings as well.

Vintech pre's are also a favorite of mine, if your spending a few dollars.

The LA610 is a fantastic tube pre-amp, as is most everything I have ever heard from universal audio (including their software).

The 710 is a single channel pre with a tube stage, as well as a solid state stage. The two stage can be blended together to achieve a lot of flexibility. I have been able to get some very flat recordings, as well as some very harmonic driven recordings as well.

Vintech pre's are also a favorite of mine, if your spending a few dollars.

The LA610 is a great pre, no doubt about it; especially on bass. But for my vocalist's situation, it's not that great. It's too dark sounding. The vocalist I'm recording has a soft silky voice. I want something that can capture her voice just the way it is... clean and transparent but also stands out from the mix. I think a solid state pre will be much better for this situation; at least for her voice.:)

Seventh Circle Audio

Not sure if anyone here has heard of Seventh Circle Audio, but they make (or you make) the best preamps for your $$$. They sound good and are worth much more than they cost. They sell a variety of different pres, check it out.

http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/

The great thing about the GR is it can do a fairly clean all the way up to exremely colored thanks to the output attenuation. It also depends on how hard you push it. It really is a great "all around" pre. Mine gets used more often than any other preamp.

You also have the option to load down the mike and dirty up the tone by lowering the input impedance. You can also bypass the output transformer by using the unbalanced output and get a cleaner sound.

Cheers,

Otto

The LA610 is a great pre, no doubt about it; especially on bass. But for my vocalist's situation, it's not that great. It's too dark sounding. The vocalist I'm recording has a soft silky voice. I want something that can capture her voice just the way it is... clean and transparent but also stands out from the mix. I think a solid state pre will be much better for this situation; at least for her voice.:)
If you are looking for clean and transparent look at preamps from Forssell, and Buzz Audio. Forssell makes the SMP-2 which is two channel rack mount and a 500 series single channel pre. Buzz Audio also makes a two channel rack mount, or the elixir 500 series pre. Forssell, crystal clear and detailed. Buzz, clear with just the right amount of honey sheen sweetener. I would describe API as crunchy peanut butter, Neve or ma5 as creamy peanut butter. Your description of preamps may vary.

Wow, guys.... I didn't think this thread would even last or get this much replies. You guys are awesome. Keep 'em coming:cool:

I believe all those pre-amps you guys mentioned must be great but how do get access to some of them to try out? I heard Mercenary carried some pretty high-end gears and have an awesome return policy but I'm not sure if they carried some of the brand names a few of you have mentioned. Any tips?

Wow, guys.... I didn't think this thread would even last or get this much replies. You guys are awesome. Keep 'em coming:cool:

I believe all those pre-amps you guys mentioned must be great but how do get access to some of them to try out? I heard Mercenary carried some pretty high-end gears and have an awesome return policy but I'm not sure if they carried some of the brand names a few of you have mentioned. Any tips?

http://www.mercenary.com/micpres1.html

I'm just curious, why is the GR MP-500NV cheaper in price to the 1NV? Is there any quality difference? Not just that but why is are all 500 series units cheaper?

I'm just curious, why is the GR MP-500NV cheaper in price to the 1NV? Is there any quality difference? Not just that but why is are all 500 series units cheaper?

1. power supply is in the lunchbox/rack, not the unit.

2. competition

1. power supply is in the lunchbox/rack, not the unit.

2. competition

Wow, so the power supply is about $375 per unit? One would save lots of $$ going the 500 series route considering future expansions.

Why is the 10 slot lunch box so expensive? Consider the price of the 6 slots, you get a lot more bang for the bucks. Wouldn't it save you more with two 6 slots lunch box than a single 10 slot lunch box? I think the 10 slots looks much nicer though.:D

It's highly doubtful that the power supply runs $375 a unit, but it does cost something. There's also less metal work and a few less connectors since they are incorporated into the lunchbox. I'm sure that the 500 format units are also sold at a defined price point to be competitive with other 500 format units. I'd be curious to know what the intro of the 500 format unit has done to GR's sales of the 1NV. I would suspect that they have dropped off substantially.

It's highly doubtful that the power supply runs $375 a unit, but it does cost something. There's also less metal work and a few less connectors since they are incorporated into the lunchbox. I'm sure that the 500 format units are also sold at a defined price point to be competitive with other 500 format units. I'd be curious to know what the intro of the 500 format unit has done to GR's sales of the 1NV. I would suspect that they have dropped off substantially.

I don't recall reading some posts online but some would prefered the 500 format over the 1NV; my guess is probably for the price?

What are some other 500 format units that are competing with the GR at the same price point? The only ones I know of are API and A-Design.

Yeah, I think the price has nothing to do with competition - I don't know how many of you have noticed, but in the last 10 years, the outboard preamp market has exploded. :D

The single transformer is probably the #1 reason. Do the 500 formats have the unbalanced out as well?

The single transformer is probably the #1 reason. Do the 500 formats have the unbalanced out as well?

Thanks for bringing that up NL5. I don't know anything about the technical side of gears or eletronic circuitries at all but what is or what does the single transformer do? Can there be more than one transformer in a mic pre? What are some factors I should take into considerations when searching for pre-amps?

I always hear people talk about transformers but never quite understand what it does. Anyone mind to lecture me on that?:D

Thanks for bringing that up NL5. I don't know anything about the technical side of gears or eletronic circuitries at all but what is or what does the single transformer do? Can there be more than one transformer in a mic pre? What are some factors I should take into considerations when searching for pre-amps?

I always hear people talk about transformers but never quite understand what it does. Anyone mind to lecture me on that?:D
As far as I know, all of the 500 series modules have balanced outputs. There are a couple of API modules that have unbalanced inputs. And, yes some of the modules have transformers on the input and the output, like mono gamma & juggernaut.

As far as I know, all of the 500 series modules have balanced outputs. There are a couple of API modules that have unbalanced inputs. And, yes some of the modules have transformers on the input and the output, like mono gamma & juggernaut.

When would you choose an unbalanced over a balanced outputs/inputs?

I think I confused people. I meant power supply when I said transformer. Both can be pretty expensive. If you have 6 me-1nv's you would have six power supplies. With 6 500 series, there is only one. That saves a bunch right there. Less sheet metal, less connectors, etc. That is where the bulk of the savings is. I wonder what else is different?

As stated above, unbalanced will yield a cleaner signal. The output transformer certainly adds some color, and takes a bit of the "sheen".

I don't think you would necessarily choose one over the other. It just depends on the design. Usually the transformers are designed into the circuit to change impedence in order to connect two circuits of different impedences. Sometimes it's done all balanced internally, sometimes not. Supposedly a unit with internally balanced circuits will give you a wider dynamic range. It seems to me that high end gear tends to be balanced. Any electrical engineers care to chime in?

I think I confused people. I meant power supply when I said transformer. Both can be pretty expensive. If you have 6 me-1nv's you would have six power supplies. With 6 500 series, there is only one. That saves a bunch right there. Less sheet metal, less connectors, etc. That is where the bulk of the savings is. I wonder what else is different?

Thanks for clearing that out, NL5. Now it makes a lot more sense. :D Are there any other different use or meanings for transformers in preamps or other mediums? For example, transformer in preamps would mean the power supply but would be/mean something else totally different with a different medium...? I'm usually pretty slow when it comes to technical terms. I like using simple terms.:p

As stated above, unbalanced will yield a cleaner signal. The output transformer certainly adds some color, and takes a bit of the "sheen".

Wow, I always thought that balanced is the cleaner signal. Is there such thing as the input transformer? What does the input/output transformers do? What are the differences?

I don't think you would necessarily choose one over the other. It just depends on the design. Usually the transformers are designed into the circuit to change impedence in order to connect two circuits of different impedences. Sometimes it's done all balanced internally, sometimes not. Supposedly a unit with internally balanced circuits will give you a wider dynamic range. It seems to me that high end gear tends to be balanced. Any electrical engineers care to chime in?

Oh man, there are so much to learn but so little time.:( Well... at least I'm learning.:D

You guys are awesome. Please keep 'em coming. I need to learn as much as I can before I make another gear purchase.

Back