Mic Preamp under $1500

You have to register. Only registered board members have access to the classifieds. It's free.

Oh, that's right! Will do that.:D

Between the API and GR, I heard the API is more clean and transparent but the GR and be clean too; it has something to do with the gain. Is this true?

Of course you have heard the Aja CD by Steely Dan...many of us think it is the only thing that sounds good through thier studio monitors...they used the API 512

I would just add an emphatic yes to what's already been said. The lunchbox pre's are fantastic. There aren't any bad ones that I know of. The format is fabulous. The GS classifieds are a great place to find really good gear at 10-15% off new prices. I've bought and sold many things there.

If you are looking for a vocal pre amp, I suggest you take a look at the avedis ma5. API's are great. Forssell, Juggernaut, A-Designs, Buzz Audio, all fantastic, and all a little different. You'll make great recordings with any of them! Go to gearslutz and do a search about each pre, and read up BEFORE you buy one. If you need an eq, also look at the avedis E27. With a lunchbox and those two modules you would have a killer channel strip!

+1 on GR. Got one new from the factory in a trade for an Ampex Dan wanted. Incredibly versatile. Super as a DI. Sold it to buy some Studio Traps. Would be my second preamp pick today after the TRP I would like to get for my ribbons.

Cheers,

Otto

+1 on GR. Got one new from the factory in a trade for an Ampex Dan wanted. Incredibly versatile. Super as a DI. Sold it to buy some Studio Traps. Would be my second preamp pick today after the TRP I would like to get for my ribbons.

Cheers,

Otto

I like all my pres, but none compare in quality to the GR.

Wow, that must be one hell of a pre. No wonder people kept raving about 'em. I'm quite torn between the 512, GR, and P-1. Of those 3, which has a more transparent, clean sound? Which mic fits best with which pre for that clean transparent sound?

I'm ordering Lynn's Mic Preamp comarison CD to have a listen myself. I'm not sure if he will include the mic pres I mentioned above but I still think it's good to have an idea of how other mic pres sounds too. Who knows, I might like others better?

Anyone had that CD or his other comparison CDs? I already have the ADCD converter comparison CD. I did not hear a thing different between all those different converters.:D Can't wait to get the pre comparison CD.:)

The great thing about the GR is it can do a fairly clean all the way up to exremely colored thanks to the output attenuation. It also depends on how hard you push it. It really is a great "all around" pre. Mine gets used more often than any other preamp.

I've read that the 4047 adds color???
That's why I say fairly transparent, but not sterile... It's a nice sounding mic that matches well with a number of pres... but doesn't sound dark... I think it's fairly accurate to the source... touch of hype... but just a pinch

The great thing about the GR is it can do a fairly clean all the way up to exremely colored thanks to the output attenuation. It also depends on how hard you push it. It really is a great "all around" pre. Mine gets used more often than any other preamp.

Does that mean the others are more of a one trick pony?

How are the cleans compared to the 512 and P-1?

That's why I say fairly transparent, but not sterile... It's a nice sounding mic that matches well with a number of pres... but doesn't sound dark... I think it's fairly accurate to the source... touch of hype... but just a pinch

Which pre(s) have you ran it through? Is it better with tube or SS pres?

There are lots of great pre amp in that price range, and too many different uses.

I really like the True Solo, but the lucnh box would open you up to lots of great pre amps as well.

I would also give a serious look to the Universal Audio 710. I have tried it out (will get one soon) and it is so flexible and sweet!!!!! A mix of Tube and Solid State with a blend between the two stages, both phase locked!!

Does that mean the others are more of a one trick pony?

How are the cleans compared to the 512 and P-1?

I think it does cleans better than the API - but just slightly. The GR excels at a more "aggressive sound". The API needs an ATTY to even come close.

Never used the P-1.

I will say this - if you can't make a FANTASTIC recording with the GR, you won't make a great recording - period.

There are lots of great pre amp in that price range, and too many different uses.

I really like the True Solo, but the lucnh box would open you up to lots of great pre amps as well.

I would also give a serious look to the Universal Audio 710. I have tried it out (will get one soon) and it is so flexible and sweet!!!!! A mix of Tube and Solid State with a blend between the two stages, both phase locked!!

I have the LA610. What is the difference between the 710 and LA610?

I think it does cleans better than the API - but just slightly. The GR excels at a more "aggressive sound". The API needs an ATTY to even come close.

Never used the P-1.

I will say this - if you can't make a FANTASTIC recording with the GR, you won't make a great recording - period.

Wow. That last statement is very convincing. I'm thinking about giving Dan a call to see if he can lend me a 1NV for a fee. Not to mention, I lived pretty close to his company. I wonder what he would say?:D

Okay...so I'm late coming in on this thread. Definitely a Great River. Or a Sytek MPX-4Aii.

Here we go again, another GR. Thanks for stopping by, Metal Marc. Better late than never.:D

Seems like many here likes the GR. What's a great mic to go with it? How will it handle my K2?

Back