PLEASE Help me pick a MacBook for PTLE 7.3

Alexrkstr

I am going nutz here... this compatibility issue is driving me crazy.

Quick facts to ground you:
- MBox 2 Mini (USB connection)
- PTLE 7.3 (I may upgrade to 7.4 or 8 later)
- Use Reason ReWire
- No more than 12 or 16 tracks per song

Can you please tell me or link me to a compatibile computer in Amazon or something?? Please....

Well, simply put, go for the most expensive Mac you can afford! All Mac's are 100% compatible with PT, and the more powerful you go the smoother it'll run large sessions (I know currently you're only needing 12 or 16 but maybe in the future....). Look at MacBookPros if you can afford them...

Be aware however that you'll need PTLE 7.4 if you're running 10.5 (Leopard).

Well, simply put, go for the most expensive Mac you can afford! All Mac's are 100% compatible with PT, and the more powerful you go the smoother it'll run large sessions (I know currently you're only needing 12 or 16 but maybe in the future....). Look at MacBookPros if you can afford them...

Be aware however that you'll need PTLE 7.4 if you're running 10.5 (Leopard).

Any macbook pro will do the job, however I would make sure you get it with the 7200rpm harddrive, they come stock with a 5400.

Take this one for example [2.4GHz MacBook Pro]

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Would run PT absolutely fine

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I would like to keep it in the macBook family and under $1,100.

Also I have PTLE 7.3

From the digi site

The Apple MacBook models listed as "Qualified" are supported with 003 Factory, 003 Rack, Digi 002, Digi 002 Rack, Mbox 2 Pro, Mbox 2, Mbox 2 Mini, Mbox 2 Micro, and original Mbox systems with Pro Tools LE 7.3.x for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Mid 2007 models are compatible, but not tested with 7.3.x.

Check this page for specific models

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&langid=100&categoryid=35&itemid=24152

Personally I'd save up the extra cash and go a macbook pro, reason being you might be limited with the types/and amount of plugins you can run and track count with a less powerful machine.

any macbook will be completable, all current generation macbooks support up to 4 gigs of ram max as well. Even if you want to buy a last generation one, it will support up to 3 gigs of ram which is a good amount (4 is obviously better though)

You will want to replace the hard drive in it off the bat, at least I would recommend it, I have seen plenty of 12-16 track recordings done on a stock macbook, but they are also recording to an external fire wire drive as well.

Good luck!

I would strongly recommend the Pro, or if you can't afford that, then the previous-generation white MacBook (which Apple still sells).

I cannot in good conscience recommend the aluminum MacBooks for recording purposes, as they no longer have FireWire ports. This omission poses two serious problems for home recording purposes:

• Although your interface doesn't require it, odds are pretty good that you'll eventually upgrade to a bigger interface that will. At that point, you'll find yourself buying a new machine.
  • If you ever need to expand its storage capacity, you're basically limited to upgrading the internal drive. The CPU overhead associated with using a USB hard drive will kill your track counts, and there's no way to add FireWire or eSATA because it has no ExpressCard slots.

The white MacBook is fine, though the MacBook Pro is probably a better choice. When doing audio editing, you can never have too much screen real estate in my experience.

If you do decide to go with the white MacBook, consider also sending feedback to Apple letting them know why you're doing so and signing the petition (almost 18,000 signatures) at PetitionsOnline.com. :)

i highly recomend you get a refurbrished pro you can get them for as much as a new macbook

I have a white macbook, 2.1 ghz with 1 gig of ram. it works great.

mind you, i'm using logic express and not pro tools.

Also, you might want to steer clear of the new MacBooks - they haven't got a FireWire port so that becomes a bit of a problem.

In fact - and I stress I'm not 100% on this (yes I could look it up but...hell, I'm lazy!) - I think the new MacBooks aren't supported by Digi as Digi seem to stipulate that you need a seperate audio and system HD, and as they don't officially support using USB hard drives...bit of a catch-22 really.

Also, you might want to steer clear of the new MacBooks - they haven't got a FireWire port so that becomes a bit of a problem.

In fact - and I stress I'm not 100% on this (yes I could look it up but...hell, I'm lazy!) - I think the new MacBooks aren't supported by Digi as Digi seem to stipulate that you need a seperate audio and system HD, and as they don't officially support using USB hard drives...bit of a catch-22 really.

The new Macbook will not be supported.

I suspect however that the Macbook Pro will be qualified, but possibly only with USB interfaces. It all depends on testing with Firewire 800 to 400 cables...

I suspect however that the Macbook Pro will be qualified, but possibly only with USB interfaces. It all depends on testing with Firewire 800 to 400 cables...

Yeh, I figured that might be the case.

Pretty fucking lame of Apple I think...what the hell were they thinking??!

Thank You

Hey guys. Thank you all for your help!
I went ahead and got:
- EARLY 2008 MACBOOK MB403LL/A WHITE 2.4Ghz
- Upgraded the RAM to 4GB (for $40!)
- OWC External 320GB FW HD 7200rpm
- Upgraded to PTLE 8... no regrets

For the amount of tracks I will be using 14-16 at most I think I should be OK with the MBox 2 Mini.
- What do you think?
Also, how can I run an inetrface via FW if there is only one port and I NEED to record on a 7200rpm HD? Does it mean I need to install a brand new HD at 7200rpm?

I'm fully capable of doing a Google search, thanks - I'm looking for opinions for people here/ Thanks though.
Well said fraserhutch ...

Yep... I spoke with a guy at an Apple store this weekend and he told me it was because they are gearing the MB Pro's for pro applications and the consumer market did not use the FW.. bunch'a b.s. if you ask me...

Yeh, I figured that might be the case. Pretty fucking lame of Apple I think...what the hell were they thinking??!

Yep... very lame, poor marketing.

It's not a hj, it's a collary to the thread.

To run multiple firewire devices, you could get a firewire hub: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=193393#
Never used one, not sure how well they handle.

Thanks... but my question would be - does it run the FW at the same frequency and does it affect the CPU? I think I will have to ask the question in a Mac Forum or such to get a technical answer, but yes, that would make more sense if I do not lose any power.

Also, how can I run an inetrface via FW if there is only one port and I NEED to record on a 7200rpm HD? Does it mean I need to install a brand new HD at 7200rpm?

Usually the Hard Drive would have two firewire ports on the back and you "daisy chain" the devices. That is that you plug the hard drive into the macbook, and then the next firewire device into the hard drive, and so on.

Unless maybe I misunderstood your question?

Back