Fifty dollar mics

"I've been preaching about them for years and almost nobody listens."

hey man, I listened. I've had a pair for a while now. I don't know what influenced me getting these the most though, I think it was a dynamic mic thread on mojo pie. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to try them yet.:(
But I listened man.

You've got good ears

"I've been preaching about them for years and almost nobody listens."

hey man, I listened. I've had a pair for a while now. I don't know what influenced me getting these the most though, I think it was a dynamic mic thread on mojo pie. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to try them yet.:(
But I listened man.

Rust E-Z,

The thing is if someone bought one or two of these on my recommendation and just didn't really like them they wouldn't be out much.

I've had one other person tell me he bought one. He was really pleased. One thing I know for sure, the price hasn't been going up much. I guess they made a lot of them. And then they're omnis. Plus it doesn't help the value that they say Radio Shack or Realistic on them.

Anyway I'm sure you will enjoy them when you get a chance to use them.

Oh and I love the life long newbie thing. That's exactly the way I feel. I just keep on learning.

Thanks for the vote of confidence,

Hairy Larry

Buying from Canada

Here's the trick... Buy used from Canada. The US dollar is worth more than the Canadian dollar... for now

Also another +1 for Naiant. I've been using a matched pair of X-M/T's for a few weeks now and love them, regardless of the price.

Andrew,

So do you buy on ebay? What is your source for used Canadian mics?

I'd like to get a line on a used Apex 205 that I could mess with.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I don't know if there's a Canadian version of Ebay. There probably is... And if you find it, let me know the link. (There's Ebay for a bunch of European countries, why not Canada?)

Mainly I stay on the look out for mics in various music/recording/bass forums. Sometimes there are international "For Sale" sections. I don't really have a single source, I'm just always looking at mics for sale. the ones that all fall around the $50 price point for me have been from Canada.

Ebay.ca is the canadian site, but you can find all the same items from Ebay.com only difference is that on the Canadian site all prices are listed in CAD instead of USD.

About a month ago I got a new AT2020 from AMS for about $50 on one of their "New Day - New Deal" sales.

At2020

About a month ago I got a new AT2020 from AMS for about $50 on one of their "New Day - New Deal" sales.

It looks like these mics run new about $70 which makes $50 a good buy but not impossible. It's hard to see how a used one could go for much more than $50 if you could find a used one.

I have no personal experience with this mic but generally speaking it gets good reviews for it's price range.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

A rose by any other name and ebay buys

Hi,

In the quest for fifty dollar microphones sometimes you have to research a mics lineage.

For instance Shure made the Realistic 1070b to Radio Shack specs. My guess is they exceeded the required specs. The 1070d says Radio Shack and Shure on the label but as near as I can tell the b, c, and d models are exactly the same and I have done close a/b comparisons between them. The 1070d usually goes for about twice what the b and c models go for because of the magic word Shure on the label.

The model 1070a was made in Taiwan so maybe not Shure. I don't have a 1070 with no letter so I'm not sure about that either. The 1070a sounds similar to the b, c, and d but the one I bought was wired reverse polarity so I haven't been using it.

Here's some other mics that are the same in spite of being named different.

The Peavey 520i would definitely be a bargain for fifty bucks. The Peavey 520tn is the same mic. It's kind of rare and not everyone knows it's the same mic so if you found one on ebay you would have a better chance at a bargain.

The Audio Technica Pro37 is the later model of the Pro37r. I contacted Audio Technica tech support and they confirmed that they are indeed the same microphone. I have one of each and I can't tell the difference between them. Again the Pro37r is not as well known and may go cheaper. In fact I got my Pro37r for $55.99 while I paid $68.77 for my Pro37. Both of these are bargain prices the mic usually goes for closer to $100.

Now for my just purchased ebay bargain using the rose by any other name method. I'm still waiting on shipment so I'll have to review the mic later but this is what I did.

A very famous mic from the seventies, I believe, is the Nakamichi cm-300. It comes with omni and cardiod capsules and a pair of minty cm-300s will often sell close to $300.

Teac also sold the cm-300s under their own brands, Teac and Tascam. My guess is they were bundled with tape recorders but I am not sure of this. The model numbers are Teac me-120 and Tascam pe-120. The Teac often goes a little bit cheaper than the Nakamichi and the Tascams go for least of all, often in the $50 area.

I don't know if you noticed but the economic downturn has affected prices on used microphones and there are often bargains to be had. I just bought a Tascam pe-120 for $42.91 shipped. I am anxiously waiting to try it out and I will fill you in on how this less than fifty dollar mic does.

I usually don't bid on two mics at once but I made an exception because within a couple of hours of the Tascam there was an AKG D120E. I really lucked out on this deal and bought it for $30.70 shipped. Now I don't know if that mic really belongs in the under $50 category. It could have been one of those lucky flukes. It is a vintage AKG dirt cheap so I'm hoping for the best with this purchase too.

If you are aware of well known mics that have identical or close siblings that might go cheaper on the used market please add them to the list. Also if you have experience with either this Nakamichi family of mics or the AKG D120E please let me know.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
...A very famous mic from the seventies, I believe, is the Nakamichi cm-300. It comes with omni and cardiod capsules and a pair of minty cm-300s will often sell close to $300.

Teac also sold the cm-300s under their own brands, Teac and Tascam. My guess is they were bundled with tape recorders but I am not sure of this. The model numbers are Teac me-120 and Tascam pe-120. The Teac often goes a little bit cheaper than the Nakamichi and the Tascams go for least of all, often in the $50 area...

Once again, +1 for Hairylarry. The ME-120 is a righteous-sounding, battery-operated mic. Terrific 16mm electret capsule made by Primo and quality transformer-coupled output. A year ago I bought fourteen NOS ME-120 Omni capsules and modified a bunch of cheap-sounding Behringer C2 mics with these capsules. I'm sold out now but this was a cool mod while the capsules lasted.

The Mics Hairylarry suggests are great if you can find them - but very popular with the concert taping crowd which makes them scarce.

A capsule for Michael Joly

Once again, +1 for Hairylarry. The ME-120 is a righteous-sounding, battery-operated mic. Terrific 16mm electret capsule made by Primo and quality transformer-coupled output. A year ago I bought fourteen NOS ME-120 Omni capsules and modified a bunch of cheap-sounding Behringer C2 mics with these capsules. I'm sold out now but this was a cool mod while the capsules lasted.

The Mics Hairylarry suggests are great if you can find them - but very popular with the concert taping crowd which makes them scarce.

Nakamichi CP-1 Cardiod Capsule for CM-300 Microphone

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nakamichi-CP-1-...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's currently at one cent. Plus 5.60 shipping.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

A very famous mic from the seventies, I believe, is the Nakamichi cm-300. It comes with omni and cardiod capsules and a pair of minty cm-300s will often sell close to $300.

Teac also sold the cm-300s under their own brands, Teac and Tascam. My guess is they were bundled with tape recorders but I am not sure of this. The model numbers are Teac me-120 and Tascam pe-120. The Teac often goes a little bit cheaper than the Nakamichi and the Tascams go for least of all, often in the $50 area.

Also if you have experience with either this Nakamichi family of mics or the AKG D120E please let me know.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry
The Nakamichi CM300 and the Teac/Tascam clones were all made by Primo, who marketed them under the Primo name as well.

I like my D770 from AKG and my 990 that I got a year ago for $25.00 sounds decent on acoustic guitar, sucks for vocals though....

I love the sounds I can get for my Karma mics to sound good on almost anything through my firepod though they can be a little noisy at times, so good preamps are a must.

Though it falls above the $50 mark I found a Ovtava 219 for $75 at a pawn shop a few months back and I think I found my vocal mic, it just sounds amazing to my ears.

MXL 991 for $20 at guitar center used was nice on some guitars, but can sound harsh and brittle unless I use a truly great guitar, if I am recording one of those I gonna use a great mic anyway.

Hi,

For instance Shure made the Realistic 1070b to Radio Shack specs. My guess is they exceeded the required specs. The 1070d says Radio Shack and Shure on the label but as near as I can tell the b, c, and d models are exactly the same and I have done close a/b comparisons between them. The 1070d usually goes for about twice what the b and c models go for because of the magic word Shure on the label.

Hairy Larry

Radio shack commissioned Shure to build a re50 clone, so those are the "specs shure was going for when they designed the 1070's. These days almost every roaming reporter uses a re50 plugged into a wireless adapter you can see them on the news all the time. You also see it on alot press conference podiums. After I got my 1070s I scored a re50b for $50 on ebay. You can clearly see how the 1070 is designed to look like an re50, smaller though. I recenltly saw a reporter using a 1070 (probably the sure version) there are subtle differences and if you know the look of both the mics you can tell.

Is my life so pathetic that I am scrutinizing the microphones that I see on TV? Yes, ----Yes it is.:D

EV PL80s

Is my life so pathetic that I am scrutinizing the microphones that I see on TV? Yes, ----Yes it is.:D

Rust E-Z,

I do it all the time. I'll be watching a music show with my wife and I'll say they're singing through this mic or that mic. Means nothing to her. I could be completely wrong and no one would ever know. But I get all excited when I recognize a mic.

And then on YouTube I was watching Al Green on a clip from an old TV show. I couldn't tell what he was singing through but I could see as plain as day that all three backup singers were singing through EV PL80s. That just got me.

Hey, somebody's got to like microphones.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Radio shack commissioned Shure to build a re50 clone, so those are the "specs shure was going for when they designed the 1070's. These days almost every roaming reporter uses a re50 plugged into a wireless adapter you can see them on the news all the time. You also see it on alot press conference podiums. After I got my 1070s I scored a re50b for $50 on ebay. You can clearly see how the 1070 is designed to look like an re50, smaller though. I recenltly saw a reporter using a 1070 (probably the sure version) there are subtle differences and if you know the look of both the mics you can tell.

Rust E-Z,

They were marketed to video studios, and for radio interview mics that you could buy at Radio Shack for less than an RE50. In other words they were taking a bite out of the low end by being there in a local store with a competing product that performed very much like the EV mics. Over the long term that strategy has not succeeded. Electro-Voice is still making the RE50 and the 635a and doing very well with them. But Radio Shack must have sold a lot of them.

The C and D models are black. I believe the RE50s were available in grey and black. The earlier model 1070 mics through b are grey but not the same grey EV used. So the blacks would be the more perfect substitute cosmetically. In case someone was watching TV and obsessing over what mics everyone was using.

Thanks,

Hairy :Larry

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Mercha...Product_Code=37-205&Category_Code=microphones

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Mercha...Product_Code=37-205&Category_Code=microphones

...IMHO each of these mics are an amazing value ($30!)...obvious SM58 & SM57 clones which, in some ways, out perform the originals...higher output with a bit more proximity effect...rugged and durable, these badboys get used and abused, but keep on performing...what else can I say?...:D

Interesting. Kidvybes, I recently read, for the second time, the saga of Karma threads from a couple years ago, and noticed your posts in most of them. Have you (or anybody, really, heh) ever gotten to try their new version of the K-Micros? The new specs look good... like real good. I have plenty of microphones already (like most people), but if those little guys really can handle drums now...I want some! They're cute as hell, if nothing else. :p

so, I have a pair of CAD m177's, and a pair of AKG Perception 200's... is the MCA SP-1 far enough removed from those others to warrant a purchase?

so, I have a pair of CAD m177's, and a pair of AKG Perception 200's... is the MCA SP-1 far enough removed from those others to warrant a purchase?

Yes - if you're looking for a pair of small diaphragm mics.

The m177 and Perception 200 are large diaphragm mics. The MCA SP-1, despite the marketing text and package labeling, actually contains a very nice-sounding attempt at a copy of the small diaphragm Neumann KM-84 capsule. The SP-1 is not a large diaphragm condenser mic.

The SP1-1 has a brass flange around the capsule that makes the overall diameter of the capsule appear to be the size of a typical LDC. But the active area of the diaphragm is only 16mm and thus qualifies as a SDC. The flange creates off-axis response problems because of edge diffracton. I remove this brass flange in my mods and remount the capsule using a classic saddle technique rather than the ring / flange technique used in the stock mic.

The SP-1 has fine capsule and a decent copy of the Schoepps circuit, just needs some attention to acoustical and electronic details to really perform. Slightly brighter than the Oktava MK-012 (2dB at the very top, perhaps?) but the top end stays well-integrated with the sound of the upper midrange and never gets "papery", spitty or edgey. But despite the side address form factor thats says "LDC", these are are best used where SDC mics are called for (acoustic guitar, drum OH et al) - they don't have the body and "umphh" that LDC mics provide to vocals.

Last edited:
Back