let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.5%

• Total voters
looks rabbit! :)
i'm looking forward to getting some more space to record myself. our apartment has gotten a little too crowded for comforatble recording, but we're looking to move to a larger place soon

Hey... You're a Newlywed now!!!! :D:D:D

Congrats man!!!!

:):):):)

Some pictures of my home recording studio. Used mostly for my own records, sometimes also for friends.

Stul10.JPG

KrizHS1.jpg

ADK_SE.JPG

Been a while, so I thought I'd post some shots of The Rabbit Hole...

20x30 basement with 7.5 ceilings and a gas furnace plopped smack dab in the middle... :mad:

A bit of a mess cause we're recording our CD but you'll get the idea...

Love the flamed drum set! Where did you get the resonant head for the kick?

F.S.

Great Mics, fova. Do you keep them both set up like that and just swing the pop filt. over? Or is that just for display?

This picture is two week old when SE Z5600A was on the visit for testing. I own the left one - ADK CE.
I sang the same things to both of them when ADK CE was recorded like left channel and Z5600A like right channel.
After the test I returned Z5600 back to the seller and this week SE Titan should come for another test.

I am trying to find second vocal mic to ADK CE. Since ADK is thick, warm and smooth on heights the new one should be brighter and more opened but with body and not harshing heights like a cheap chinese ones.
Except for SE mikes next possibilities for that mike are Gefell UMT70 and tubed Ningbo Alctron HAT800 brought directly from China.

My next mikes are Oktava MK319Mod, Beyerdynamic Opus 89, T-Bone RB100 and stereo pair of SE Electronics 3.

This picture is two week old when SE Z5600A was on the visit for testing. I own the left one - ADK CE.
I sang the same things to both of them when ADK CE was recorded like left channel and Z5600A like right channel.
After the test I returned Z5600 back to the seller and this week SE Titan should come for another test.

I am trying to find second vocal mic to ADK CE. Since ADK is thick, warm and smooth on heights the new one should be brighter and more opened but with body and not harshing heights like a cheap chinese ones.
Except for SE mikes next possibilities for that mike are Gefell UMT70 and tubed Ningbo Alctron HAT800 brought directly from China.

My next mikes are Oktava MK319Mod, Beyerdynamic Opus 89, T-Bone RB100 and stereo pair of SE Electronics 3.

what attracts you to the RB100? it's dirt cheap!! have you had any experiences with it?

ta!

andrew.

I wrote something about it in another thread here:

Based on some threads on Gearslutz about ribbons I bought T-Bone RB100 from Thomann in Germany (same as Nady RSM3). It was so cheap so I had no problem to buy it without any test or listening.
After recording in my studio via SPL Goldmike preamp I was very positively surprised:
Very dark and rich sound without any obvious degradatiions. The record could be hardly EQ-ed in sequencer without any serious impact on the sound quality.
I take this mike like suitable addition to other sound colors of my mikes and for me iit was one of the best buys I have ever done to my studio.

I know one other guy who bought it and is also very satisfied. He bought also RB500 but after the testing RB500 was sent back to seller and RB100 stayed with him.

Last week I borrowed it to one sound engineer who works in a shop selling pro audio gear in Prague. He tested rb100 against SE R1 and today he wrote me a short message that first impressions are good.

Photos of my mikes:

mikesHS1.jpg

rb100.JPG

Love the flamed drum set! Where did you get the resonant head for the kick?

F.S.

That was an Ebay find :)

Gets a LOT of raised eyebrows...

We played a beer garden thing a couple years ago, and while I was setting up, one of the patrons staggered by, did a double-take at the bass drum head... and then tried to non-chalantely come around to my side to see what picture I had on the beater side :D :D :D

Then, not even 10 minutes later, another drunk came by and did the same thing!!! :eek: :eek:

Of course, then there's the guy who asked if I could cover it up because his 7 year old son 'couldn't stop staring' at my drums...

Puhleeze...

:rolleyes:

oh getcha,,,u mean far apart?

i only really use the mackies, but i always liked em far apart,

the yamahas i really just throw on when i think im done to get the fresh ears effect. the top left one is offset so that my keyboard+screens aint in the middle,

it my attempt at self discipline, so if i use the yams, i cant be near the keyboard and i gota take a break and REALLY listen,

probably sounds silly but it works for me.

oh getcha,,,u mean far apart?

i only really use the mackies, but i always liked em far apart,

the yamahas i really just throw on when i think im done to get the fresh ears effect. the top left one is offset so that my keyboard+screens aint in the middle,

it my attempt at self discipline, so if i use the yams, i cant be near the keyboard and i gota take a break and REALLY listen,

probably sounds silly but it works for me.
It's a good idea to use the ns10s as reference, that's what everyone does, but having the so far apart must have an usual stereo image. For the best mixing position, it is recommended you sit in a equalateral triangle with the speakers, with the mixing position 38% of the room length, and centred on the shortest wall, with the monitors at ear height.

Attachments

• room setup.GIF
    room setup.GIF
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,330
i used to be set up like that,before the piano was there and stuff, but for some reason i just find it nicer the way it is now,

maybe its something to do with the room though (outside garage),
stone floor, big metal door,bare wooden roof,brick wall,

cant really be the best setting for any speakers i guess.

thanks for that though :)

i reckon a lot of things would be done different if i moved out

Ohh, and those blankets you have hanging there. Although i wouldn't recommend them, if you are going to use them, they are best used in the first reflection points/back wall.

Attachments

• room setup with absorption.GIF
    room setup with absorption.GIF
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,323
i shuda put in an aerial view, cos your left padding is the door,,the right padding is the shelves, and the one at the bottom is the window and the bench!

god damn trying to record in yer da's garage :P,

really though, thanks for the pointers.

i shuda put in an aerial view, cos your left padding is the door,,the right padding is the shelves, and the one at the bottom is the window and the bench!

god damn trying to record in yer da's garage :P,

really though, thanks for the pointers.
You could put up curtains at the window, door, and shelves. Anyway, if it works for you, then that's fine. :D

Back