D & R Preamps?

dickiefunk

Hi. I've just been offered an ex-demo D & R preamp for 150 euros but don't know anything about them? I read in the recent thread about the Grace 101 that it's decent but am not sure how it would compare to my DMP3 and Tampa :confused:

Is the D & R preamp a step up from my DMP3 and Tampa? Would it be worth selling one of these and get the D & R or should I stick with what I got?

Thanks

I do not have any of the outboard preamps, but I have a D&R console in my studio. Personally, the D&R is easily on par as far as quality goes with the Grace, and a step up from the M-Audio stuff. The D&R is also a 2 channel preamp. About a year ago for fun we did some test stuff with various different preamps including the console, Chandler TG2, API 512c, and two different OSA preamps. The D&R always ranked up there no matter what mic or source it was used with. As I expected I preferred the API on drums, the Chandler on electrics, but the D&R hung right on there on acoustics and vocals. A couple of us even chose the D&R.

Does anyone have any info/spec on this preamp? Also does anyone know what the preamp model number is or have any pictures?

There should be info on the D&R website under their old product manuals. This preamp I beleive uses the ssm2019 whereas my console uses the 2017, which I am about to switch to the 2019.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I haven't been able to find any stuff on these anywhere on their website?
I'm a little unsure about getting one because there seems to only be one person here that has heard of or tried their pres. Not sure why more people don't rave about them :confused:

Not sure why more people don't rave about them :confused:

Because probably there aren't a lot of people that own them. But it can still be a fine product regardless.

The D&R consoles are highly regarded, and the standalone preamps are presumably the same design as what's in their board. While I haven't used that particular unit, I would expect it to outperform the M-Audio prosumer preamps that you are comparing it to. If it were me, I'd go for the D&R.

D&R primarily makes consoles that are well out of the price range for most people who frequent this site. Combine that with the fact that they are much mroe common in Europe than in North America, and that definately leaves you a limited user base here on this site. From what I have been told by D&R, the outboard preamp is the same as the preamp in their consoles. Based on that I would go for it:)

There doesn't appear to be anything about them that would make them any more special than any other budget to mid-level mic pre on the market today.

The only people that seem to think that about them are people that have not used them. I agree that they are based around a basic design principle, but then again D&R has been able to acheive specs that far surpass other preamps that are supposed to be of "similar" build. Once again, most everyone who has used one has found them to be head and shoulders above the other "budget to mid-level mic pre on the market today". Again, however, I am talking primarily my experience and others experience with D&R consoles, which the outboard preamp is supposed to be from.

Once again, most everyone who has used one has found them to be head and shoulders above the other "budget to mid-level mic pre on the market today".

Which is pretty much what they say about the DAV ... which is also what they say about the Grace ... and the Earthworks ... and the RNP ...

And everythig you're saying about the D&R console is pretty much what is said about the Neotek consoles ... which is kind of the same deal as the Sytek.

I've just heard it all before. It's getting to be like static / white noise to me.

Which is pretty much what they say about the DAV ... which is also what they say about the Grace ... and the Earthworks ... and the RNP ...

And everythig you're saying about the D&R console is pretty much what is said about the Neotek consoles ... which is kind of the same deal as the Sytek.

I've just heard it all before. It's getting to be like static / white noise to me.

Is that more white noise I hear?

So is the D & R in the same league as the DAV, Grace etc? To be honest I really like my Tampa and DMP3 and for me to justify buying the D & R it would need to be a significant step up!

Chessrock has never heard the DAV, the D&R, and probably most of the other preamps he disses. He looks at the parts lists and decides what they "must" sound like from that.

Xstatic uses D&R preamps, so in my opinion that's the voice to listen to on this issue. As is anyone else's who actually owns and has used the gear.

What's the point in trying yet another generic mic pre based on a Texas Instruments INA 163 / 217 amp ?

If I made it a point to try every single one of them, I'd be too busy for anything else.

Regardless of whether or not I've tried it out ... I can say very confidently that if it costs any more than $200, then chances are it's over-priced. There just isn't anything going in to it that can't be purchased from digikey for spare change ... and there's nothing going on by way of R&D that isn't already publised on the net, and currently being assembled by hobbyists with a soldering iron and a screw driver.

Yes, I have used the Tampa and the DMP3. I actually think that the DMP3 is a pretty decent bargain. Not bad at all given the price. I don't care for the Tampa. I also don't have nearly as much as experience with the M-Audio stuff as I do the D&R. The D&R is pretty accurate. It has a smooth extended top end, tight accurate lows, and solid mids. It basically does a good job at spitting out what you put into it. It does tend to smooth things over just a touch, so it really isn't that sparkling clean almost fake Grace style sound, but more of a neutral preamp with a touch of help:)

Back