Real Time Bouncing

I do write software (although nothing audio related) and I do know that if they have the code already for playing back, then they could fairly easily add in real time bouncing or rendering

I don't write code so I'll graciously take your word on this one :)

That said however what on Earth do you suppose Digidesign is up to then?? If it indeed was just a fairly easy code adjustment why haven't they included this in their updates?

I don't write code so I'll graciously take your word on this one :)

That said however what on Earth do you suppose Digidesign is up to then?? If it indeed was just a fairly easy code adjustment why haven't they included this in their updates?

Lazy programmers? :D There would probably be quite a bit of work involved but really, nothing compared to everything else in the software.

Or maybe they want to keep it true to how it has always been? Or a more "analog" workflow? I have no idea.

That's one of the many reasons I don't use PT...

Yes but with all due respect. A statement like this in a Pro Tools forum is nothing but self serving. Distilled it says "I'm just a bit smarter than the rest of you"

You're not. Choose what you choose and contribute the positives of that choice in the appropriate forum.

This kind of statement has no intrinsic value to anyone here. The problems with Pro Tools and it's weak points have been discussed until it's morphed into something sublime.

I love other points of view and frankly that's how I learn and honestly that's a positive component of these forums.

However bounce to disc is what it is. It's easy to work bounces into the daily work flow and honestly until I hear people bitchin about it it doesn't cross my mind. The endless attempts to make this feature some kind of Digidesign conspiracy is counter intuitive.

It'd be cool if for a week or two we all could contribute something positive as it applies to recording and mixing with Pro Tools.

We've rearranged the deck chairs of the Titanic endlessly talking about lack of ADC and no real time bounces and track limits and Digidesign and Black Helicopters.

Where's the creative in all of this??

Jeez there must be more to talk about here. Doesn't anyone mix???

Hey, I didn't mean to upset anyone. You use the DAW you use, just as I do. To be honest, I am an occasional PT user... :)

In my dayjob I use Sadie, and at home for music I use Cubase. As part of my dayjob, I need fast exports of mixes as clients are waiting. Just one reason why PT is not for me. No offence.

But I often have a look in the PT forum just out of interest, just as I'm sure PT users will pop into other forums to see what's happening with other systems. It's good to keep your eyes open. Maybe in the future I'll get PT myself - the industry and clients dictate what you use generally!

But no offence meant. Peace all!

:)

But no offence meant. Peace all!

:)

Very nice! Thanks. It's nice to have a good positive response.

I wasn't meaning to throw a poison dart at you personally...more just trying to steer the conversations away from the endless, mind numbing Digi-bashing.

I too do this for a living and I too used Sadie when I was back in Nashville. That said as a professional I'd bet you would have something great (by way of real world experiences) that you could add here especially for those aspiring to move on to a career.

Digi bashing doesn't help as it's been done adnaseum.

Please accept my apologies as it wasn't intended as a direct hit and what ever you can add to this discussion (that's not Digidesign plots and conspiracies
related) would be greatly appreciated.

jH

protools is amazing and an industry standard many would say and i own it myself. you cant quickly bounce a file you have to play it back, overall its done because the pros have monster huge mixes at times, and overall its said to at that point in certain cases produce better quailty conversions... so waiting a few minutes isn't exactly a reason to hate protools, but rather a time for you to admire your finished product

Au contraire, I'd put the Digidesign EQIII up against pretty much any included EQ out there. It's easily best of breed in that category, and better than some that cost decent money, too.

Perhaps I should re-phrase: Don't go looking for *additional* free plugins: Pro Tools doesn't support VST.

I agree, their EQ is pretty nifty :) I just miss my 20 or so go-to plugins I used in Sonar!

When I was using Sonar Home Studio, I would bounce in realtime anyway, because I was using sampled instruments, and the hard drive needed to be able to keep up.

But I suppose for people that record just audio, or always "freezes" their virtual instruments, a fast bounce option would be very helpful in Pro Tools.

*edit: or for people who have very capable computers

Perhaps I should re-phrase: Don't go looking for *additional* free plugins: Pro Tools doesn't support VST.

I agree, their EQ is pretty nifty :) I just miss my 20 or so go-to plugins I used in Sonar!

The latest fxpansion vst to rtas works and also support automation with 2.11. I used to be a digi basher and even owned a TDM rig. But now its what im using because theirs a demand on the market for it. And honestly ive made my money back in 10 folds because of it.

I drive many daw software and use them all in their strengths and weaknesses but at the end of the day what ever you choose to record with then by all means enjoy it. I just enjoy learning a new tool and master its strengths and gain from it.

Nope, "real time" is relative! It's all 1's and 0's my friend :)

actually not according to a conversation Brett (admin over at PTForum) had with someone over at Gearslutz...I'm quoting what he quoted me:

"That's a very touchy subject at Digi. Doing so would necessitate an entire rewrite of the DAE. There would be sonic changes for sure, but would also require plugins to be rewritten...again. oooooh, I can hear the screams now.

Digi recommends doing the internal bussing to an audio track thing. If you need to change a small thing, put in some preroll and do an auto punch in and destructive record, the export region as file.

Oh, you want to put some FX like compression on the mix? You'll need to bus to an aux inp first, and then to an Audio track.

Pain-in-the-ass for sure, but it does same some serious time for those two hour movies. "

so I guess it's a yes and no answer. Sounds like it would just be a bitch for Digi to do this as they have pretty much written themselves into a corner. However, I think it's something they need to do for those of us who spend a crap load of money with them (specifically us TDM/HD users)

If you have HD you can press Apple + K, but LE users are stuck with realtime bouncing...which isnt bad.

Back