Real Time Bouncing

jimmy2sticks

Is there anyway to not have to do a real time bounce in protools? Many other programs allow you to simply export you mix in a stereo file. Sometimes, I just want the mix out quickly and don't want to sit and wait for the tune to play through again. Any clues? I know how to export a single track, but an entire mix with plugins and automation??

Nope! Welcome to Pro Tools :) Don't go looking for any sweet free plugins either: for the most part, you won't find any.

This is coming from a guy who recently switched from Sonar to Pro Tools. I'm not regretting it in any way, except that I wish I could have instead switched every major studio on earth to a PC/Sonar combo vs. Pro Tools, but yeah I'm realistic :p

I think Digi claims the bounce sounds better that way; something about better conversion or something. I'm suspect, but that's Digi.

I think technically it's left over from the old TDM days. Not to mention that if you're using outboard gear you can't do an offline bounce.

They still need to add it on as an option though.

Yeah, when I go to my masterlink I obviously don't mind bouncing, it saves a copy to my masterlink. I have known about this limitation for years, as I started on Pro Tools Free back in 2000, but I was hoping one of you knew some kind of trick. Doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

in my opinion, there is only one problem with real-time bouncing, and that is when you hit the last 30 seconds of the bounce and hear something you need to fix. ;)

in my opinion, there is only one problem with real-time bouncing, and that is when you hit the last 30 seconds of the bounce and hear something you need to fix. ;)

Yup, that's why I can't complain about the lack of an offline bounce option.
I always catch something, sometimes I'll bounce it 2 or 3 times before it's how I like it.
Plus, I enjoy the music I create.:p

Yup, that's why I can't complain about the lack of an offline bounce option.
I always catch something, sometimes I'll bounce it 2 or 3 times before it's how I like it.
Plus, I enjoy the music I create.:p

100% agreed.

I always catch something on 1st bounce!!

Yeah, but when you have a session that went until 3am and you want to go home and sleep; suddenly the client wants a copy of all 13 tracks you worked on that day, now you have another 60 minutes of bouncing to do. PT should give you the option.

Yeah, but when you have a session that went until 3am and you want to go home and sleep; suddenly the client wants a copy of all 13 tracks you worked on that day, now you have another 60 minutes of bouncing to do. PT should give you the option.

Digidesign can't. The problem is in the core of the audio engine and there is no simple way to rework the code. I'm certain if Digidesign could they'd offer quicker than real time bounces....there's no conspiracy here.

The client shouldn't suddenly want something at 3:00am and if they do (and you're savvy at your business) you would have a plan and response in place for this.

I do bounces and laybacks all day long...it's simply worked into the game plan.

This is NOT a big problem.

Digidesign can't. The problem is in the core of the audio engine and there is no simple way to rework the code. I'm certain if Digidesign could they'd offer quicker than real time bounces....there's no conspiracy here.

The client shouldn't suddenly want something at 3:00am and if they do (and you're savvy at your business) you would have a plan and response in place for this.

I do bounces and laybacks all day long...it's simply worked into the game plan.

This is NOT a big problem.

yes and no. I think everyone has gone through an instance where we'd like a quick bounce down of what we're working on. I do a lot of post work, and I've been in situations where the client needs those 120 individual files. And it would be nice to have an offline bounce to work with so I'm not bouncing to disk 120 times or having to find a work around to export the regions as files.

I've heard the rumor you're saying too...that PT versions have a lot of old code still left in them and that they'd really need to do a complete overhaul to get rid of some kinks. But really, something like this should have the effort put into it. Especially since every other major program out there does it. Just offer it as an extra option. Keep the same old code, just offer a new option.

Then they should consider reworking their audio engine. Bouncing down or rendering a mix is basically just audio summing...the same thing it does when playing back your mix. Except there's no reason whatsoever to not do it "real time".

There is no quality difference at all. Hell, you don't even need a sound card or interface to render a mix (unless you're using outboard gear or something which I'm not familiar with).

Then they should consider reworking their audio engine.

Yep that's a good idea. I wonder why Digidesign hasn't thought of that simple and elegant solution.

To many Black Helicopters distracting the code guys I'd guess.

Come on Danny do you really think Digidesign is so out of touch that the issue just hasn't dawned on them??

Re-writing code ain't just a Sunday walk in the park. It makes NO sense for Digidesign to withhold that feature for no good reason. Doesn't benefit ANYONE and believe me they're not doing it to piss anyone off.

When Digi decides it's time to start from scratch..they will and I suspect at that time users will get ADC, freeze tracks and quicker than real time bounces.

Until that time if you don't like the software....get something else. If you do like the software sit back and realize that the current round of Pro Tools software is very nearly limitless in it's ability to provide a creative person endless tools that in the end can produce WONDERFUL audio.

Yep that's a good idea. I wonder why Digidesign hasn't thought of that simple and elegant solution.

To many Black Helicopters distracting the code guys I'd guess.

Come on Danny do you really think Digidesign is so out of touch that the issue just hasn't dawned on them??

Re-writing code ain't just a Sunday walk in the park. It makes NO sense for Digidesign to withhold that feature for no good reason. Doesn't benefit ANYONE and believe me they're not doing it to piss anyone off.

When Digi decides it's time to start from scratch..they will and I suspect at that time users will get ADC, freeze tracks and quicker than real time bounces.

Until that time if you don't like the software....get something else. If you do like the software sit back and realize that the current round of Pro Tools software is very nearly limitless in it's ability to provide a creative person endless tools that in the end can produce WONDERFUL audio.

I've never used ProTools so I don't really care either way. I do write software (although nothing audio related) and I do know that if they have the code already for playing back, then they could fairly easily add in real time bouncing or rendering. It's the same algorithm/code, just used in a different place.

Obviously, there would be more to it than just copying/pasting the code, but it shouldn't require a complete re-write of the audio engine. Not even close.

Back