Why get Pro Tools when you can get use something like REAPER?

I wonder if would be possible to have Reaper generate an ID number whenever it is downloaded, or does it already? Then, have this BBS arrange it so that when someone registers on this forum, they would have to submit their Reaper Identification Number as well, in order for the registration to take. We couldn't force people to USE Reaper, but we could at least force them to have it on the computer, in which case they would likely get around to trying it, and would eventually See the Light.

It seems unfair to let those people continue being Losers and Suckers when they could be gently lead into a state of software enlightenment.

Maybe even those penis enlargement people who have been posting recently who end up using Reaper....... for something, I dunno what.

yet its ok that people go around calling one specific piece of software "industry standard" right ? :)

Or to say you must have one specific software to "be compatible" when that one specific piece of software is the ONLY one that locks up its EDL format?

Cry me a river

pipelineaudio said:
yet its ok that people go around calling one specific piece of software "industry standard" right ? :)

It seems a reasonable thing to say if it 'is' the industry standard. It's wrong to say it if it 'isn't' the industry standard.

pipelineaudio said:
Well, if you put the phrase de facto in front, then yeah, it's perfectly OK because it's true.

While I respect their product, I'm not personally a huge fan of Digidesign's stuff either - hell, I used to work for a company that offered its flagship product as the best alternative to Avid. But, like it or not, that has no bearing on the objective reality that Digidesign virtually owns the commercial audio NLE market for the time being.

If you have designs on building and marketing Reaper as The Next Pro Tools Killer, that's great; more power to you and I sincerely wish you well. It just seems to me that personal attacks in public on both the competition and on your own clients that use it probably hurts your cause more than it helps it.

Just one man's opinion. Keep or throw away as you see fit. :)

G.

Reilley said:
It seems a reasonable thing to say if it 'is' the industry standard. It's wrong to say it if it 'isn't' the industry standard.

And which standards board would it be that wrote that?

AES?

ANSI?

NAMM?

oh, you mean MixMag/Conservatory/Digidesign?

SouthSIDE Glen said:
It just seems to me that personal attacks in public on both the competition and on your own clients that use it probably hurts your cause more than it helps it.

Just one man's opinion. Keep or throw away as you see fit. :)

G.

I make no bones that these guys who rent our PT system, who will be sent back to college by their parents in less than a year for "a real career instead" are killing the recording industry that I love. I couldnt hide that after 15 years of talking shit on the internet. They know how I feel about it.

OK, first of all, saying that Reaper does not have a "pro" feel is a bit too much for me. Defining that feel is so subjective that it is pointless. After all, none of the so-called "pro" apps share the same feel. I have bought PT M-Powered, Logic Express, and tried cubase in my looking for the DAW that feels best to me. NONE of these apps have anywhere close to the same look or feel, and yet they are defined as "pro" which just proves that the term is pretty much useless in describing a UI.

As far as how reaper works, one of the great things about it is that it is pretty much willing to bend around how you want to work, rather that you conforming to some standards the dev set up. As far as it's look, it does look a bit cluncky in its default setup, but that is easily customized too. So far, I have not run into anything in reaper that I couldn't change myself if I didn't like it. Also, Reaper has developers that are very responsive to the user community and if you suggest a feature that turns out to be a useful idea, get ready for it to show up in an update in a few days.

All in all, if you take the time to get to know reaper like you did on your other DAW app, you will probably like it. That is the real question. And if you are happy with your DAW app, then there is no real need to adopt it or put in the time to learn it well (although trying it can still be fun).

Bottom line is that once we have established that it pretty much does what the other "pro" apps do as well as they do them, it comes down to preference.

For the record, I still don't use Reaper regularly, although I make it a point to spend some time with it every day, so that I can reach the comfort level on it that I have with PT and Logic.

Who cares? Seriously? Any time I read a thread like this where people are getting emotional about their DAW, it just makes me cringe. Yeah, I started up my major-brand miter saw the other day, and wept tears of joy at how well it cut wood.

The argument that Pro Tools, or any app, is ruining modern music is just stupid. I'm sorry, but it is. How is Pro Tools any more responsible for the so-called "demise" of modern music than, say, affordable turntables, or Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Reason, FLStudio, etc.? Answer: it's not. If you believe there has been a "demise" in modern music (which I don't), then there is one reason and one reason only that it has happened: affordability. Anyone can now afford to make an album. Personally, I think that's a good thing. You might think otherwise, and more power to you.

But what do you do with it in the end? You can cry about it, or you can get out and use your tools and your skills to make music that you think is relevant, important, or sounds good to you. Sure, someone is always going to criticize someone else for doing it wrong. But how many people out there are truly hampered by any big-name DAW, and not by what's inside their head?

The argument that Pro Tools, or any app, is ruining modern music is just stupid. I'm sorry, but it is.

My claim is that the marketing and education system around DIgidesign/MixMag/Conservatory has lowered the bar and is continuing to do so. Their influence doesnt stop with engineers either, it actually puts ideas about brands and techniques into the heads of BANDS as well, who then go on to insist on certain things they have no clue about.

In medicine, there is NO overwhelming system set up for the patient to tell the surgeon which scalpel to use, indeed it would be INSANE to do so

but thats EXACTLY what the trinity of ever lowering standards is pushing in music

When I was a kid, I had to pay $850 for a 4-track Tascam cassette recorder. That was a year of my newspaper route money. With that, one SM57, my guitar amp, and an Alesis SR-16, I was in hog heaven. However, the barrier to entry for me, as a kid, was high. $850 was a lot of money then... in fact, it's not small amount now. And I had no chance for anyone beyond my circle of friends to hear my music.

Now, everyone has a computer in their home, and you can get recording apps, like *Reaper*, for free. Everyone who wants to record and lives in the relative luxury of the first world, can. Blaming Pro Tools for that, I still believe, is stupid. You want to blame something? Blame the lower cost of manufacturing in Korea, Indonesia, and China, or the electronic industry's relentless drive to make things smaller, faster, and cheaper.

If you want to make an argument that recording is a magical art that should be consigned to the realm of the elite, then why not make that argument at a pro board, and not at "home"recording.com? For my part, I've never heard as much good music in my life as I do now. And I believe it's a direct result of people being able to record who couldn't before. You claim Pro Tools is "killing" the record industry? Why do you think it's Pro Tools and not "insert name of EVERY app here"? And why do you think it's bad for music if everyone can make it? No one forces anyone else to listen to it when it's bad.

The record industry "that you love" is an industry that for the majority of recorded music's existence, allowed only the most miniscule amount of narrowly focused, "commercially viable" talent to make albums, and IMO that industry deserved to die 50 years ago. That it's dying now should be heralded as a blessing by the home recordist, not a curse.

Who cares? Seriously? Any time I read a thread like this where people are getting emotional about their DAW, it just makes me cringe.

Agreed, which is why I wouldn't touch Reaper with a 10 foot pole. The Traveling Fan Club, the "If you don't use. Reaper, you suck," the "Why would you use pro-tools when you can use Reaper," the 4-letter words...... Man, just the 'name' of the thing.... Grim Reaper? The image of the product's demographic user is that of a hyper-active juvenile delinquent. Sure, they're 'loyal,' like a little army. On most DAW software forums, posters whine and complain about their own software. Reaper fans just badmouth the competition. They can only do this on unmoderated or 'almost' unmoderated forums, for obvious reasons.

If fairness, I expect that the product has much more integrity than a lot of the people who use it.

Argh!

I bought Pro Tools a few months ago - but wish I had read this post first.

Reaper looks more like what I should have bought.

What can I do with this copy of Pro Tools now ?

It's unregistered..... think I could sell it on Ebay ?

I had worked with Pro Tools, Cubase and Sonar before making my decision to purchase my Pro Tools M-Powered setup. I'm very happy with it. I'm quite satisfied with what it has to offer, especially since, as a result of being familiar with it, I've understood more when I've visited pro studios, sat in on sessions and interned. For better or for worse, it can't be argued that Pro Tools is one of the most (an arguably the most) commonly found DAWs in pro studios.

the war seems to be over anyhow....some enterprising fellows from the DUC have begun using REAPER as a plugin for PT, so that they can do offline bounces, and take advantage of other features in reaper, while still running PT

I'd like to be horrified, but it seems to be working rather well :)

Gah, I'll make this simple so we can all stop arguing:

Get Reaper if you've got a PC, you don't want to spend a shit-ton of money, and you don't foresee yourself recording in any of the thousands of professional digital studios any time soon... or ever. If you're running your own studio, and that's the way you like it, Reaper is great!

Get Pro Tools if you've got a mac, you're willing to spend a shit-ton of money, and you want to position yourself as a marketable engineer who is able to work in almost any studio in the world. If you want to work in huge professional studios with big-name artists, you have to know, use, and love Pro Tools. That's just how it is.

Done and done.

Get Pro Tools if you've got a mac, you're willing to spend a shit-ton of money, and you want to position yourself as a marketable engineer who is able to work in almost any studio in the world. If you want to work in huge professional studios with big-name artists, you have to know, use, and love Pro Tools. That's just how it is.
Done and done.

Uh oh, I better warn all the professional engineers that still use tape and/or radar that they better learn protools so they can be more like the kids with the home studios

Back