Greg's general guide to rock drums for NEWBIES!

I've changed my mind. Greg doesn't have a fucking clue about drums.

I, of course, will change my mind in the morning when I sober up.:D

(I just heard gunshots in my neighborhood!):(

Greg, nowhere in your post did you list what mics you use.

To borrow from your own vernacular: "Summary please"!:D

You'll see it again at the other place, fatfuck. :D
Not if you see me first!

:confused:
"classic" HR's.

that makes me feel old which is much more painful than fat

I have never experienced 'old' so I don't know. But you shouldn't be offended, you've been here over half a decade and anyway the selection process was determined by a Google search, not by me deciding who were the oldest/best avatar'd members. :cool:

Greg, nowhere in your post did you list what mics you use.

To borrow from your own vernacular: "Summary please"!:D

I thought about getting into mics, but there's just too many options to go into all that.

Ready for this?

I use the CAD Pro 7pc kit and an sm57 or pg57. I think it was like 199 bucks for the 7 mics. It may be even cheaper now.

The snare and tom mics are decent. Not great, but okay. I use the kits "snare" mic on my smallest rack tom and a 57 on the snare. The toms get the tom mics. The kick mic is very sensitive to where you put it, but I've tried it against a Beta52 and D6, and they don't really sound any better. They just require a little less EQ. I don't mind Eq'ing the snot out of the kick if necessary. I like this little kit. It's not the best by any means, but I've heard way worse sounds recorded with much better mics. ;)

My kit is not set up right now, but when I set it back up, I'll post some pics.

Haha, thanks everybody. Hopefully newbs can get something from this. I would have killed for this much info when I was getting started. :o

Pretty cool article.

Though 'muffled coated' heads as opposed to the open clear ones for rock?

I use freaking coated emperors on me toms and they rock!

Pretty cool article.

Though 'muffled coated' heads as opposed to the open clear ones for rock?

I use freaking coated emperors on me toms and they rock!

Coated heads do rock. I suggested clear, more open heads for their cut through ability and flexibility. You can make a clear head sound like a coated head, but it's hard to make a coated head sound like a clear head. For newbs just learning how to record and mix drums, it's my opinion that clear heads make it easier.

Haha, thanks everybody. Hopefully newbs can get something from this. I would have killed for this much info when I was getting started. :o

My old thread like this from years ago is so buried no one will ever find it.

Back