New studio construction

Thanks Fitz, but unfortunately I'm not a CAD guy. My son-in-law - who's an architect - drew up the original plans for me per my specs...so I can't help ya there with what version was used. Sorry.

Yep, the grins are starting to come. It's been a work in progress for almost two years and I'm right at the point where I can taste it! I will keep you posted. Thanks!
Rick

Thanks to all who bothered to take a look at my money pit!

To answer some questions, this studio exists only because it outgrew my bedroom (I'm in an apartment) - then a friend's basement - and I had to find another spot. So I found a place where the rent was right, close to home (I can walk there in a few minutes) and more than big enough. The total space is 1600 sq. ft., but the studio itself takes about 1000 of that. The rest is storage and lounge. But like being at a buffet, my eyes were bigger than my brain and I figured if I'm gonna build a place to record anyway, I might as well do it up the best I can. So my humble project studio became a Frankenstein. Fortunately, when it's all finished, it'll be paid for. I'm doing this with no loans, no credit cards and no investors...which is why it's taken me so long. Hell, my equipment will be outdated before my doors open! :-)

I'm very close to done. Looking at this summer hopefully. It'll only be a part-time thing for me, so I don't have to rely on it for income. I only hope it pays for itself overhead-wise and I'll be a happy camper.

Oh yeah - the sprinkler system was already there...and it's active. I only pray that if it ever goes off, it won't be for no reason. But that's what insurance is for...isn't it?
Rick

Hey Rick, when or if you get a little time, mind sharing your construction methods. You know, wall and material types, door and jambs details/ HVAC/ glass/ ceiling/floor connections. Not much:D Ha! I like to see how people build their rooms.....er throw their money in the pit. :p Thanks if you can get to it.

fitZ:)

Oh hell yeah!
That's looking GREAT!

It looks like, from one of the pics, that you're double rocking with some sort of acousti-blok or something between them?

It looks good though.
I'm just starting insulation on my space. I can't wait to get some sheetrock up and see it all come together like yours.

Looking good, I think that might have been Sheetblok he was putting up there, or something similar. Expensive shit.

You're right - that IS sheetblock - and it's not cheap! But I wanted to do things as right as possible. Plus I figured with MY building skills, adding a little extra sound block protection definitely wouldn't hurt. It's absolutely amazing how involved something like this becomes, and how much learning is constantly being accomplished. I'm lucky I knew how to work a cordless drill before taking this on, but now I can also work a sabre saw! :-)

Seriously, I've relied on a lot of help from friends - and I've paid some pros on the things that had to be pro done and I couldn't scrimp...like insulation, sheetrocking the ceiling, electricity and the HVAC.

You asked for some details, so here goes. I totally gutted the existing structure of walls, carpet, etc so I could start with a blank room. Being an old factory, nothing inside was straight (as you can tell from the support beams in the pics), so it was a challenge. I started with steel studs. All the outer walls are actually built a foot away from the real outside walls (which are cinderblock with boarded up windows) so I have a 12" gap around my total area. The control room is 2 layers of 5/8" sheetrock (the fire code stuff). I put in a raised floor for about 2?3 of the room where the equipment will go to allow for cable runs and cable access. I had all new electricity put in throughout with isolated grounds in every outlet in the CR (but not in the rest of the rooms - I just couldn't afford it). I DO have separate circuits for just about everything though. I built two walls between the CR and the live room with 8" of space between. The live room wall also has 2 layers of sheetrock with one layer of sheetblock between. Each iso only has a single wall, but double sheetrock. The wall insulation is 3" thermofibre and the ceiling is 2 layers of 6" thermofibre. The HVAC system is all new. The original building only had old steam pipes running through it and a giant fan to blow heat - both very noisy. I had everything taken out and had a new heating unit put in the basement. The HVAC guy made all the ductwork to fit where I needed it to go and he insulated it both inside and out to cut down noise. The central AC unit is outside the basement.

The doors I bought at a bargain outlet nearby (mistake) and they've been nothing but a PITA! They're steel, solid core pre-hung doors, but because I bought them at a bargain place, I must have gotten seconds or something. No two of them were the same width or height- give or take an inch - but an inch is a lot when you've already got the framework built and the walls up! I've had to deal with some major gap problems. I'm hoping my solution works so I don't have to kick myself for trying to save a few bucks. For those that don't know differently...do not EVER scrimp when it comes to doors! I know that now!

As for glass, I'm still researching. I need some large pieces (two 4' X 8' for the CR and two 4' X 4' - one for each iso). From what I've found, I guess insulated (layered) glas is the way to go, but 1/2" or thicker is not only expensive...but VERY heavy! Anyone have any other ideas? Has anyone ever worked with thick plexi? I've never heard of it being used in a studio, but I've never heard why not either.

So, that went longer than I thought. Did I miss anything? Sorry if I bored you. I'm on my way over there in a minute to get more stuff done. The small things never seem to end! Thanks for all your interest. I'll try to post more pics of the progress as it happens.
Rick

last one for now. Forgive the crappy photo quality. I don't know why my camera shows these circles in the pics.

Steel or Wood?

Very impressive Rick ! you mentioned that you started with steel studs. Was the whole project done that way or did you switch to wood?

Thanks! The whole place has steel studs except for around the doors and windows, which were all framed with 2x4s.

Was working with steel stud structure easier in some way or maybe better as far as acoustics is concerned? What are the pros and cons? Did you run into any major problems? i.e. scraping a specific project.

Just liked to know.

Later,
Casenpoint

Hey Rick I am curious as to how you were planning to finish off those exterior doors. Soundproofing appears to leave walls a little thicker than normal so how would you attach moulding around the door?

Soundproofing appears to leavewalls a little thicker than normal so how would you attach moulding around the door?
Sorry to jump in here Rick, but I got up early:D

Hello sg400. You have to PLAN ahead. Take NOTHING for granted when building studio. In the case of wall thickness because of RC or multiple layering of gyp bd., you need to plan the thickness to either buy wider door jambs, or custom build them from jamb material or mill the material from thicker stock. Also, the framing for heavy interior doors must be framed accordingly, and with tighter tolerance between framing and jamb. All gaps between the frame and jamb must be caulked also. Here is my plan for double doors between a 2 leaf, 2 wall system between control room and studio. This is for situations where there is no room for a soundlock. Note the thickness to compensate for seals, caulking and air gap between walls. Also for threshold, which is a big problem with most designs. I didn't show that here, but it can be a formidible problem, if not planned in advance. Also heavy doors require heavy duty hinges. But this all has to do with your target STC. Why build walls with a target of 65, only to reduce the sound transmission loss by installing doors with a rating of 37. Weak link syndrome. Happens all the time. In this case, this is NOT a rated door assembly, as you would have to purchase the assembly with all associated hardware and jambs, to meet a rated target. This is only my attempt at overkill:D . But rated door assemblys can easily reach $1000 per door:eek: Hence my attempt at HR type design. Besides, it depends on the type music, your tolerance for noise intrusion into the recording, and how loud your local noise floor is.

fitZ:)

Attachments

• dbldrjmb1.gif
    dbldrjmb1.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,167
Ahh CAD tools...you gotta love 'em. I have been considering the suggestions in a book titled "building a recording studio" by Jeff Cooper. His plan for a single wall, multi-layer wall tops out at approx. 7 1/2 inches (STC 50-55). I don't have enough overall space for a double wall construction so these look appealing. Looks like I will have to build my own door frames anyway.

Back