Do you agree with the quote?

• I agree.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I disagree.

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

WATYF

...happier than you.
I read this quote in a magazine yesterday...

see if you can guess who said it...

"Anyone can sit down and write some boring artistic song... pop music is the hardest to write." - Unknown Artist

While you're guessing who it is... I'll take a poll.

Do you agree or disagree with the quote?

WATYF

I'll go on record as agreeing.

Writing something that other people like is the hardest thing to do (and there is a big difference between people saying they like something, and likeing it enough to pay for it....). It seems counter-intuitive becuase people pass off pop music and simple-minded, but to create something so concise and memorable and appealing to such a broad range of people is very hard.

I'll even go one step further and say that writing a good jingle is even harder. You have 15 seconds to sell something and make it stick in people's brains.....

And BTW..... I'm guessing Frank Zappa.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I disagree strongly. The term 'boring artistic song' is far too general and besides pop music is easy to write, just repeat some inane lines to the point of ear fatiuge and you nailed it!

No seriously though pop music is not that complicated and anyone who would have you believe that it's easier to make something that has obvious appeal versus something that grants subtle and unique developing intrest is a dillhole.

I'll guess Kurt Cobain because he was just the kind of loser who'd spew this kind of nonsense all strung out on smack.

Britney Spears...

...after smoking Depends.

Actually, the quote is ""Anyone can sit down and write some boring artistic song... pop music is the hardest SHIT to write." or "s&*t" if you're trying to be family oriented...

Daf

BTW, I disagree. Salieri had the hits. Mozart had the art.

Daf (having neither hits nor art. YET! )

And we have a wiener... I mean winner. :p

Bratney Smears it is.

:p

The quote I read didn't have "sh#t" in it, nor did it imply paraphrasing... maybe she's made this claim on a number of different occasions. :p

Either way, when I read it I almost laughed oat loud... What on earth does she know aboot "art" or "songwriting"... (or "music" for that matter :p)

I'd have to kind of agree and kind of disagree... It is hard to write a great pop song. But what really takes talent is writing an artistically substantial song while at the same time making it something that people, other than your fellow art snobs, can enjoy. :p

WATYF

I dunno you guys.....the one song she did actually write herself is called "Dear Diary", I think. The first line is "dear diary... today I met a boy". That is some pretty deep stuff.

And BTW jake-owa.... I'd agree with you if you were right.:D I'd at least debate with you if you wanted a grown-up discussion. But if to make your point you have to call me a "dillhole", I'm not interested.

Aaron

WATYF said:
And we have a wiener... I mean winner. :p

Bratney Smears it is.

:p

The quote I read didn't have "sh#t" in it, nor did it imply paraphrasing... maybe she's made this claim on a number of different occasions. :p

Either way, when I read it I almost laughed oat loud... What on earth does she know aboot "art" or "songwriting"... (or "music" for that matter :p)

I'd have to kind of agree and kind of disagree... It is hard to write a great pop song. But what really takes talent is writing an artistically substantial song while at the same time making it something that people, other than your fellow art snobs, can enjoy. :p

WATYF

So....what do I win? A date with her? I guess that would be ok as long as she keeps her pie whole shut ;) :D

WATYF said:

I think you nailed it there.

But, Britney (who has the rather appropriate initials BS) has just gone down in my estimations...

I agree ... but that doesn't mean anything ever recorded by Britney Spears is a decent pop song ... which sort of supports the point, I suppose.

Aaron Cheney said:
I dunno you guys.....the one song she did actually write herself is called "Dear Diary", I think. The first line is "dear diary... today I met a boy". That is some pretty deep stuff.

And BTW jake-owa.... I'd agree with you if you were right.:D I'd at least debate with you if you wanted a grown-up discussion. But if to make your point you have to call me a "dillhole", I'm not interested.

Aaron

I thought the Moody Blues wrote Dear Diary, she even ripped off the title.

wow!! britney said that?!!! i didn't know she wrote anyother music....if she really wrote any to begin with...... i think max martin wrote most of her most popular stuff......

Yeah shes not exactly musically talented herself. Anyway its all very vague, and artistic music sounds to me like something like Radiohead, who rule. And her stuff sucks. I mean do you notice how you get the most basic chord pattern. It's not hard to write. I guess she meant its hard because you have to sell it, but not write it.

Flamethrower off.

Really depends on what she meant to say there.

Boring artistic song vs. boring pop song would be about the same.

Great artistic song vs. boring pop song would be much harder.

Great artistic song vs. great pop song would be ????? not sure.

Boring artisitc song vs. great pop song would be easier.

She really left that statement open ended. But I feel that she was just ripping on artistic music in general and calling it boring cuz she doesn't like it therefore her statement is uninformed and entirely wrong.

WATYF said:
WATYF

That is it, exactly. To say something substantial, and say it concisely is very hard. And to then make it appealing to both artists and the ordinary listener is triple-tough.

Very few have really achieved that. The Police, The Beatles, bands of that ilk.

Barry Manilow (who has written many jingles you still have memorized - "You deserve a break today at ......" for example) is a great songwriter that really has achieved it also. One of my favorite songs is Copa Cabana. The lyrics tell a story, but also have a deeper meaning, the chord changes are complex and colorful, and the song is memorable. I'll bet your singing it in your head right now....

Aaron

CanopuS said:
...artistic music sounds to me like something like Radiohead, who rule. And her stuff sucks.
See... that's odd, because I think they both suck. :p

They both, to me, are like two opposite extremes.

On one hand, you have the talent-less pop queen, who can't sing, and is supported only by her wonder-bra, autotune, and a huge marketing budget.

On the other hand you have artsy-fartsy, extremely haughty, and arrogant "arteeeeests" who make weird noises into microphones and call it "art". Well geez... how much talent does it take to fart into a mic, or roll a bowling ball across a piano? :p I've liked one or two songs of theirs, and I'm definitely not saying they're talent-less... but to me, it seems like they're just trying to appeal to the "my taste in music is better than yours" crowd by making snobby music with little value to anyone who isn't as snobby as they are. :p

What I want is that happy medium.... you know... where talented, artistic, and universally appealing traits all come together.

I find Cold Play to be a pretty good example of that. They have a signature style, they don't just write typical "pop" or "alt rock" crap, they employ more complex chordings, and melodies, while at the same time making very appealing music.

WATYF

Jesus...that skank really just confirms that the only things required to be a successful 'musician' (I use that term loosely) these days is a good rack and a well selected skimpy wardrobe.

Like anyone would take her thoughts on music seriously anyway...they probably just asked the question to see if she was capable of stringing a sentence together.

Back